KarenandErnie
Steamed Pork Wontons for the Whole Family
March 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My daughter will eat just about anything as long as it is encased in some kind of floury carbohydrate, which is why I knew I could make a dumpling she would like. You should try out this fun but slightly time consuming recipe. I got the idea to add the shredded carrots from the Weelicious website, which has some great recipes.

Ingredients:

For the wontons:
Wonton wrappers
1/2 lb group pork
1 egg
1 shredded carrot
2 sliced scallions
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil

For the dipping sauce:
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
1 sliced scallion

To prepare the wontons, mix the pork, egg, shredded carrot, scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Peel off one wonton wrapper from the pile, and, with a little bowl of water next to you, put a teaspoon-full of the meat filling into the center of the wonton wrapper. Dip a clean finger into the water bowl and run a little water around the edge of the wonton wrapper, then fold it on the diagonal and press the seams together to seal. Repeat until you're out of filling, or wonton wrappers, whichever comes first.

Next, heat a little sesame oil in a pan till hot enough to sizzle if you splash it with water. Add a batch of your wontons to the pan (don't crowd them!). After a minute or so the bottom of the wonton should be getting golden and seared looking. At this point you are going to add 1/4-1/2 a cup of water to the pan and cover it so the inside of the wontons can steam for 4 minutes or so. Sacrifice a wonton to make sure they're done. Keep working in batches until all of these delicious bundles of joy are cooked. 

While steaming your wontons, mix the soy sauce, mirin and scallion to make your dipping sauce. Serve with rice, or just on its own. My daughter loves these, and she loves dipping sauces, when she isn't dumping them on the floor!

Do your kids have adventurous palates?

Šistockphoto.com/pjohnson1

Replies

• elasmimi
    March 1, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Yes, but her mom is not an adventurous cook, lol. These look great, but a little above my skill level.

• Threes.Company
    March 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Two of my kids are adventurous with foods... and then there is my middle child.  That boy refuses to eat just about everything!  It is SO frustrating!!!

• KarenandErnie
    March 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My daughter is only 14 months so the jury is still out on if she'll be a picky eater or not. She'll love a food once and then the next time refuse to eat it, which does make for a lot of food waste. I hear you on the frustration!

• Kmakksmom
    March 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    All the time. These look very good!
  • lalasmama2007
    March 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for sharing!  My dd loves wontons.

• MamaMandee
    March 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    My 2 older kids will try just about anything but my youngest (5) is a little more picky.
  • Madelaine
    March 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

yum

• arpazia
    by arpazia
    March 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    All for me! Those look delicious
  • GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    March 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My kids do not have adventurous palates, hopefully they develop them as they get older!

I want to try these wontons, though.  I really want gluten free wontons - and I'm sure I can find gluten free wonton wrappers.

• MichelleK41
    March 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

We love wontons here as well.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN