Carmen S
Giving the Gift of Hot Cocoa
December 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Yummm, hot cocoa. It's one of those drinks that everyone likes, and it seems super easy to make. Just mix some chocolate with some milk, and you're done. Right? Well, no, not quite. It can be really easy to make hot cocoa, but the odds are good that it won't be exactly what you are looking for. It can be a tricky balance - but I've got the very best recipe for you ever.

It's called Hot Chocolate Truffle Balls, and although I made them for the first time last year, they are one of the few things that I already know I'm making this year. In fact, I gave some as a gift to my brother in law, and he requested that I make them again, especially for him. I was happy to do so, particularly when I realized that I could drop one of these beauties in my morning coffee and have one of the best mochas I'd ever tasted.  

In the top of a double boiler, mix 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips,1 cup heavy cream, and 1 tablespoon sugar (If you want it - I usually don't use it, but it's dependant upon how sweet you like your cooca.)

Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture is combined. It should look very smooth - at first, it will look grainy, but keep melting and keep mixing and it will suddenly become awesome. Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes at room temperature, and then pour into a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill until it is firm and scoopable, about 2-3 hours.

Using an ice cream scoop, form balls out of the mixture. Wrap each individual ball in parchment paper and pop it into the freezer. I used about 3 T. for each ball, but you may have to play around with it until you determine how rich you would like your beverage.

When you are ready to enjoy your hot chocolate, pour one cup of milk into a coffee mug. Add one unwrapped ball and microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir, top with marshmallows or whipped cream and enjoy! You can also add these to hot coffee and stir very well for a delicious mocha.

Last year, I wrapped a dozen of these in parchment, tossed them into a jar, and gave them as Christmas gifts with a side of homemade marshmallows. It's definitely going to be a repeat this year!

What is your favorite way to enjoy hot cocoa?

ŠiStockphoto.com/RTimages

Replies

• tayanddyl
    December 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

What is your favorite way to enjoy hot cocoa?

A: at home in my bed LOL

• Rushn311
    December 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

We just  use the packets with the lil marshmallows in it

• Bob192
    by Bob192
    December 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM

What a neat idea!!  We've been given homemade mix before and that was yummy too!

• countrygirlkat
    December 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yummy!  I like to sometimes add hot cocoa mix to my coffee for a nice chocolate flavor. 

• Leelee1008
    December 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

sounds awesome. At 1st I thought it was a candy and thought oh awesome I can make this as my secret santa gift, but then Realized I cant LOL because it has to be sent lol.

• lillucky8
    December 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    That sounds delish! I personally love raspberry hot cocoa
  • Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    December 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM

This sounds aesome! Iwill try this and maybe I can have something to hand out along with my cookies.

I like putting marshmallow fluff into my hot chocolate...or whipped cream and chocolate drizzle.

• MamaBear2cubs
    December 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I make mine with nutella and whipped cream

• Sisteract
    December 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

I like salted caramel hot chocolate.

• timon95
    by timon95
    December 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM

i think my son would love that recipe! we make ours from a packet, with a mini candy cane melted inside and whip cream and marshmallows.