Slow Cooker Wild Rice with Cranberries from Betty Crocker site
- 1 1/2
- cups uncooked wild rice
- tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
- cans (14 ounces each) vegetable broth
- can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, undrained
- cup slivered almonds
- cup dried cranberries
- 1 In 2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix all ingredients except almonds and cranberries.
- 2 Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or until wild rice is tender.
- 3 In ungreased heavy skillet, cook almonds over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browning begins, then stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant; set aside. Stir almonds and cranberries into rice mixture. Cover and cook on low heat setting 15 minutes.
Many supermarkets now carry a wide variety of dried fruits. Dried blueberries or cherries are delicious substitutes for the cranberries.
Toasting the almonds not only enhances their flavor and color but also helps prevent them from becoming soggy after they are stirred into the wild rice mixture.
- PREP TIME 15 Min
- TOTAL TIME 5 Hr 30 Min
- SERVINGS 6
November 18, 2012 at 4:18 PMTfs
by emilyrosenjNovember 18, 2012 at 4:38 PMSounds delicious!
by inmybizzNovember 18, 2012 at 4:51 PM
by Sonata8November 18, 2012 at 4:53 PMThat sounds good
November 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM
by GodspitgrlNovember 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM
oh that looks so good
November 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Not sure if that's for me, although I do love a mean wild rice chicken casserole!