Carmen S
Kitchen Disasters Can be a Good Thing
October 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Saturday night I had planned t have several ladies over. We do a twice a year clothing swap, and while the clothes are being set up, we eat and talk. My contribution was supposed to be brownies. I have an absolutely delicious recipe that I make, and after I discovered this recipe - I'll never use a mix again. The recipe isn't my own, as I saw it online - but they are well known to be "Carmen's brownies". It's completely decadent, very fattening and completely not healthy.

They are so yummy.

You begin the recipe by melting 3 sticks of butter and mixing in 2 cups of cocoa powder. Let it cool. In a separate bowl, whisk 6 eggs and add two cups each of brown and white sugar. Mix well, pour in chocolate mixture and 2 T vanilla. (I typically use vanilla bean paste as I like the more intense flavor.) Stir in 2 cups flour and 1 t salt.

Or, forget that step.

Yes, when I was creating my yummy brownies, I became distracted and forgot to add the flour. I poured the batter into the greased 9x13 pan (you can use a larger pan if you like thinner brownies), stirred a vat of nuts into the mixture - at least it seems like a vat of nuts, my husband loves some brownie served along with the nuts. I popped the pan into the preheated 350 degree oven. I checked the brownies at 30 minutes, when my kitchen smelled absolutely amazing, and the brownies weren't done. I checked them again at 40 and 50 minutes, and saw that they were beginning to burn around the edges, but they looked grainy and were still doughy in the middle.

And that's when I realized I'd forgotten the flour. I removed the pan from the oven, grumbling all the while, only to realize that I'd forgotten to line the pan with parchment paper or foil. I always do this with brownies, as once they are cool you can just lift the entire block of goodness out. It makes slicing and serving a snap and clean up is virtually non existent.

If you forget the flour AND the parchment paper - well, just know that I had to leave that pan to soak for an awfully long time and it took a lot of elbow grease to clean it. I was super disappointed with myself, and made a vow to never forget either the flour OR the parchment paper.

Have you had a kitchen disaster? Were you able to save it, or was it a complete flop?

ŠiStockphoto.com/LauriPatterson

Replies

• goddess99
    October 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I haven't really cooked or baked enough to have a disaster Yet.

• othermom
    October 8, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I hate  usuing hot pepper in anything. I can't even stand handling them,

Quoting salamandersmom:

Oh, ouch.  My one foray into cooking with hot peppers was this spring.  I got them off the plants, and  brought them in, and was going to make Chilies Rellano.  And OMG, I was peeling and cleaning them under running water in the kitchen, but still coughing, gagging and puking from them, they were so strong.  No wonder they use them to make pepper spray for self-defense.  NEVER AGAIN.  And I do mean NEVER.

Quoting karone04:

My dad gave my brother some hot peppers to try. Somehow my brother got the idea to dry the peppers in the microwave. We had to open the windows and back door for a few hours in the middle of winter at night. That was not fun.

• Bmat
    by Bmat
    October 8, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Oh no!

I have forgotten the flour. One time I forgot to mix.

• lalasmama2007
    October 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    I don't recall any kitchen disasters.
  • MamaBear2cubs
    October 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I once added chicken seasoning to hot cocoa thinking I was grabbing the cinnamon lol

• sukainah
    October 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Oh no!

I'm not much of a cook, so I feel when I enter the kitchen there will be a disaster of some kind LOL

• willow332002
    October 13, 2012 at 8:02 PM

isnt just great how we can all get a laugh about some of worst,most forgetful,just plain silly things we have done..lol