christina f
Spaghetti Squash and Sweet Marinara
October 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM

It seems that more and more of my friends are going gluten free - and for good reason. At times wheat can be hard to digest, especially if you eat later in the night or have a sensitive stomach. Also, if you alternate fresher foods for carb heavy options, you have a better chance of maintaining a healthy weight.

We recently had a small dinner gathering at our house with three friends who are gluten free. My specialty happens to be homemade marinara sauce. Clearly I could not serve pasta, so I decided to try using spaghetti squash in its place. The results were delicious.

If you are unfamiliar with the squash, cooking it is a breeze. Grease and line a cooking dish with tinfoil. Cut squash length-wise and scoop out seeds. Put a pad of butter into each and bake at 425 degrees until tender. Once done, use a fork to pull out the meat of the squash. You'll see that it comes out in strings, much like spaghetti strands.

Serve as you would any pasta and serve a helping of sauce over the squash. Serve with a nice side salad and you have yourself a meal.

Moms, what are your favorite gluten free meals?

Replies

• michiganmom116
    October 11, 2012 at 7:00 AM

We eat gluten-free and I love it!  Foods are so tasty instead of tasteless pasta, breads, or cereals.  I've used thinly shredded cabbage cooked in meaty spaghetti sauce and topped with cheese as a spaghetti meal.  I use zucchini in place of noodles in lasagna, or else skip the noodles altogether.  I use steamed cauliflowerets in place of macaroni in a pizza casserole and mac & cheese.  Mashed cauliflower makes a great base for a twice-baked non-potato casserole (add sour cream, chives, bacon, cheese).  Almond and/or coconut flours make delicious baked goods that are naturally gluten-free/low-carb/high-fiber/nutritious.

We just had a spaghetti squash casserole two nights ago:  spaghetti squash mixed with homemade spaghetti sauce, browned ground beef, sauteed carrots/celery/onion/garlic, and topped with cheddar and parmesan cheeses. 

• 4kidz916
    October 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM

I don't really cook gluten free.  I would really love to get started though.  Thanks for this idea. 

• 4kidz916
    October 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I have made a cauliflower pizza crust that was great.  I guess that would be our favorite gluten free meal. 

• daerca574
    October 11, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I have to say that Spaghetti squash is probably one of my favorite vegetables!  I love to make it with just butter and salt and pepper. 

• lillucky8
    October 11, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Ive never tried spaghetti squash, i think dh would flip lol, he said hed never talk to me again if i started buying wheat pasta, this would send him over the moon lol
  • goddess99
    October 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

We haven't really gotten on the gluten free bandwagon yet.

• emilyrosenj
    October 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

This sounds easy and delicious.  I'll have to try this with my family!   We are not gluten free so I don't know which of our meals are.

• elasmimi
    October 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM

We don't do gluten free, but I do love spaghetti squash.

• natesmom1228
    October 11, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I don't really pay attention to that. None of us have a problem with gluten. We do love squash.

• timon95
    by timon95
    October 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Can't say that we have any favorite gluten free meals, we do not cook that way.

Active Posts in All Groups
There are no posts to display.
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN