nsanti
Slow Cooker Recipes Wanted For Winter Months !!!
by nsanti
September 28, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I just got a brand new crock pot and have only ever made a pot roast in it.  I would like to be able to cook more meals in it, especially since winter is coming; something nice and hearty.  Can anyone help me with any suggestions?

Replies

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Slow Cooker Caramelized Onion Beef Stew from the Betty Crocker site!

Slow Cooker Caramelized Onion Beef Stew

You Need:

Reynolds™ Slow Cooker Liners
    tablespoons butter or margarine
    cups halved and thinly sliced sweet onions (about 1 1/2 onions)
    teaspoons sugar
    teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1 1/2
    lb beef stew meat
    cup Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
    package (.87 oz) onion gravy mix
    cups 1-inch pieces diagonally cut carrots
    cup 1-inch pieces diagonally cut parsnips
    1/2
    cup Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen sweet peas

To Make:

• 1Place Reynolds TM Slow Cooker Liners inside a 5- to 6 1/2 -qt slow cooker bowl. Make sure that liner fits snugly against the bottom and sides of bowl and pull the top of the liner over rim of bowl. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Cook onions and sugar in butter 30 to 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are deep golden brown and caramelized. Stir in thyme and stew meat; place in slow cooker.
    • 2In medium bowl, mix broth and gravy mix; pour over meat mixture in slow cooker. Top with carrots and parsnips. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
    • 3Stir in peas. Cover; cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until hot.

Tips:

Serve food directly from the lined slow cooker. Once your slow cooker cools, remove the liner and throw away for easy clean up.

Substitute mushroom beef gravy mix or brown beef gravy mix for the onion gravy mix, if desired.

Serve this saucy beef stew over mashed potatoes with plenty of crusty bread for mopping up the extra sauce.

Serves: 6

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Slow Cooker Turkey and Brown Rice Chili from the Betty Crocker site!

Slow Cooker Turkey and Brown Rice Chili

You Need:

tablespoon vegetable oil
    3/4
    lb ground turkey breast
    large onion, chopped (1 cup)
    cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
    can (15 to 16 oz) chili beans in sauce, undrained
    can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso® chopped green chiles, drained
    1/2
    cup water
    tablespoon sugar
    teaspoons chili powder
    teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2
    teaspoon salt
    cups cooked brown rice

To Make:

• 1In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook turkey and onion in oil 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until turkey is no longer pink; drain.
    • 2In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix turkey mixture and remaining ingredients except rice.
    • 3Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
    • 4Stir in rice. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook about 15 minutes or until rice is hot.

Tips:

Do you have ground beef in the freezer? Use it instead of the turkey, plus you won't need to use oil when you cook it. Stir in either brown or white rice at the end.

Stir in either brown or white rice at the end.

This is a low-fat chili because it is made with ground turkey breast. Check that you are buying ground turkey breast and not regular ground turkey, which includes both light and dark meat and will be higher in fat.

Enjoy this chili topped with your favorite salsa and corn chips.

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Slow Cooker Mediterranean Pot Roast from the Betty Crocker site! 

Slow Cooker Mediterranean Pot Roast

You Need:

boneless beef chuck roast (3 lb)
    teaspoon salt
    tablespoon Italian seasoning
    large garlic clove, finely chopped
    1/3
    cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
    1/2
    cup sliced pitted Kalamata or ripe olives
    1/2
    cup Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-oz carton)
    1/2
    cup frozen pearl onions (from 1-lb bag)

To Make:

• 1Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook beef in skillet about 5 minutes, turning once, until brown. Sprinkle with salt, Italian seasoning and garlic; remove from skillet.
    • 2Place beef, seasoned side up, in 4-to 5-quart slow cooker. Spread tomatoes and olives over roast. Add broth and onions.
    • 3Cover and cook on low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or until beef is tender.
    • 4Remove beef from slow cooker; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Slice beef; serve with beef juice and onions from slow cooker. 

Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.

Tips:

(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)

Kalamata olives have a dark purple color and a rich and fruity flavor. They are generally packed in olive oil or vinegar and are sold whole or pitted.

Fluffy homemade mashed potatoes--skins on or off--is the perfect partner for beef roast.

Serves: 8

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak Supper from the Betty Crocker site! 

Slow Cooker Swiss Steak Supper

You Need:

1 1/2
    lb boneless beef round steak
    1/2
    teaspoon peppered seasoned salt
    to 8 small red potatoes, cut into fourths
    1 1/2
    cups ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
    medium onion, sliced
    can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
    jar (12 oz) beef gravy
    Chopped fresh parsley, if desired

To Make:

• 1Cut beef into 6 serving pieces. Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with seasoned salt. Cook in skillet 6 to 8 minutes, turning once, until brown.
    • 2In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, beef and onion. In medium bowl, mix tomatoes and gravy; spoon over mixture in slow cooker.
    • 3Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours. Sprinkle with parsley. 

Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.

Tips:

(Total time will vary with appliance and setting.)

Leaving the peel on the potatoes not only retains nutrients but also helps potatoes keep their shape. Just scrub and cut as directed.

Peppered seasoned salt is one of the newest varieties of seasoned salt available in the supermarket. If you can't find it, use regular seasoned salt and sprinkle the beef with pepper, or you can just use salt and pepper.

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Slow Cooker Orange Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash from the Betty Crocker site!

Slow Cooker Orange Pork Tenderloin with Butternut Squash

You Need:

pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (6 cups)
    1/2
    teaspoon salt
    pork tenderloin (2 pounds)
    1/4
    cup orange marmalade
    cloves garlic, finely chopped

To Make:

• 1Arrange squash around edge in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt. Place pork in slow cooker (it will overlap squash slightly). Mix marmalade and garlic; spread evenly over pork.
    • 2Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.
    • 3Remove pork from cooker; place on cutting board. Cut pork into slices; serve with squash.

Tips:

Try another flavor of marmalade, such as pineapple.

If you have time, brown the pork in oil on all sides before placing in the slow cooker. Browning adds color and a deeper flavor.

Watching your salt intake? Omit the salt, and season with pepper.

This is a great recipe to serve for entertaining. Fan pork slices in a circular pattern on a platter, and spoon squash in the center. Drizzle remaining juices over pork, and garnish with slices of fresh orange.

• MamaMandee
    October 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Slow Cooker Hunter's Stew with Chicken from the Betty Crocker site!

Slow Cooker Hunter's Stew with Chicken

You Need:

boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2x1-inch pieces
    medium green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
    medium onion, thinly sliced
    (15-oz.) can garbanzo beans, drained
    (14-oz.) jar (about 1 1/2 cups) tomato pasta sauce
    (8-oz.) can Green Giant® Mushroom Pieces and Stems, drained

To Make:

• 1In 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients; mix well.
    • 2Cover; cook on Low setting for 6 to 7 hours.

Serves: 4

• Threes.Company
    October 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I have started a blog to keep track of the ones I am trying and liking.  I've got 15 now.  I photographed most of them too so you know what you're making:

http://krzmomcrockpotcatalog.blogspot.com/

• odessie
    by odessie
    October 9, 2012 at 4:37 AM

I just baked a chicken tonight then I deboned it and will be making chicken and dumplings with all the leftover juices and meat. (of course there are just three of us so I had half a chicken leftover)

You can make lasagna in a crock pot too! I saw this on tv the other day! 

I did see a recipe for foil covered potatoes and baked in the crock pot, I guess then you could make stuffed potatoes out of that. 

I tried the new progresso meal starter in cheese sauce it is pretty thin and you get a lot - great for longer cooking times and simmering. toss some potatoes in that and some ham....and broccolli with onions too?

Ok that's all the ideas i have for you now. 

ever since I got into this second pregnancy I have just used my crock pot a lot lately! but basically roasted meats and potato dishes. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts