Carmen S
Cooking with Kids can be Fun!
September 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I love to cook, love to bake - basically, anything that happens in the kitchen that ends with yummy foods is all fun to me (Dishes, no, not so much...) Cooking and baking are my down time, my "me time", the time that I use to decompress and get my head on straight. I've been somewhat reluctant to invite my kids in with me. My desire to be alone plus my overactive type A personality that just knows the right way to do these things means that I tend to get a trifle territorial. It's a struggle for me to share the kitchen, that's for certain.

But I remember my own mom letting each of us girls have free reign in the kitchen . Each Friday we took turns to prepare dinner from start to finish. It was a great lesson for us that food takes work, good food takes time and to always be appreciative when others cook for you. My mom let us plan our menus, and I'm certain she regretted allowing me to purchase "A Child's International Feast" when it meant that I served "Scandinavian Beans " - basically doctored kidney beans - for six weeks in a row.

My older children are less adept in the kitchen than I might like and I worry for them when they move out on their own. I foresee a lot of eating out and ramen in their future - but none of the older three are really interested in cooking or baking. My younger three, though, think it's fun to cook, and when my 12 year old son came to me with a recipe that he wanted to try, I took a deep breath and said "yes".

And so that's how we ended up dipping chicken legs into buttermilk and rolling them in crushed cornflakes and laying them on aluminum foil that had been sprayed with cooking spray. We put those coated chicken legs into a 450 degree oven and later enjoyed a wonderful easy and pretty darn tasty dinner.

Did you cook or bake as a child? What have you created in the kitchen with your children?

©iStockphoto.com/4774344sean

Replies

• Jeckers
    by Jeckers
    September 29, 2012 at 1:46 PM

As a child I was a prep cook.  I peeled, sliced and diced as my mother directed me.  Almost never actually made the meals, but I wish that I did.  I now cook most things that my mother use to make, but at first I had to call her and ask for how long or high do I cook or bake this or that!  I wish I had taught my 19 year old to cook more but she never wanted too.  

My now 2 and 3 year old don't go in the kitchen when I am cooking, but when they get a few years older I will let them come in and help!  

• LovesFredric
    September 29, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Awesome! Yeah, I guess each kiddo has their own personality...lie my ds never ever liked coloring, and I'm pretty sure my dd was into it before she turned one!

Quoting othermom:

Quoting LovesFredric:

My kids love to help measure, pour, stir, and use the hand mixer. I try to let them help when applicable. We often do cookies or pancakes

Thats what my kids love to do too> I am just getting my almost 3 year old started. My older daughter who is almost 7 loves to help too. My 9 yearold son is a little less willing

• eustacejessica
    September 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I baked with my grandma as a child and my child loves to help me in the kitchen.

• Rivergirl70
    October 2, 2012 at 12:28 AM
    My dd is 4yrs. We love to make cookies and a big mess! Lol.
  • Love_Miss_Lynn
    October 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Baking is something that sugar do together often. She has multiple recipe books and a few children's cook books that she uses to pick out recipes. Themed cupcakes are her favorite; there are so many on pinterest.

• ethans_momma06
    October 2, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I really do love cooking with the wee ones.

• KaylaMillar
    October 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM

My kids love helping me cook

• BellaLoca
    October 4, 2012 at 5:31 PM

yes i did! my BD would monitor me as i made a whole breakfast for the family at age 8. I always helped make the cookies and other sweets too. My mom was more of the "I'm the mom, i cook. you watch, you eat" kind of mom. So when she complains about how i don't cook now i simply say " if you would've let me help as a kid. because all i know how to cook is breakfast foods and sweets!" lol I haven't had the courage to let my SD help me cook or bake. it's more a fear that she might get hurt or burned in the kitchen. i can't help but be protective. happy cooking and baking everyone!

• O.Schmidt
    October 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

My daughter is in the kitchen with me every day. We love to cook and bake together. Its her favorite thing to do.

• Lilindian
    October 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Me and my boys LOVE to make homemade cookies. Also cupcakes. Every holiday we do the whole decorateing them and all. I will post some recipes once I get back from the doctor today.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN