Struggling with addiction, Finding recovery and hope.

zombies8urbrain
AA, Al-anon, NA, Narc-anon
August 12, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That past few months I've been attending Al-anon on a weekly basis. I can't express how much it has helped me tremendously. Not only did it help me better understand the world of addiction, but it helped me understand that I am not alone, and how to take my life back and not be consumed by the addict in your life. I have a few addicts in my life. One is in the process stage of recovery and the others are still in their addiction. I didn't understand the whole the co-dependcy, enabling, and not trying to control it. I had no idea there was several different types of alcoholics.

When I had my problems with pills and alcohol I kept that life pretty secret. I did it, and then stopped it the minute I got pregnant with my son. So I didn't know there was more to it then just "not doing it anymore".

The past few months though I feel like I was just living with my eyes closed on addiction, until I began to attend al-anon and it truly opened my eyes to everything.

I began to read books about addiction, and being a family member of an addict. one of my by far favorite books is the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis and his life in addiction. It's called Scar tissue. I highly recommend to everyone.

Replies

• amirahsmommy11
    August 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    I'm glad that has helped you! There is so much more to it than just not using. I know for me my drug use wasn't my problem. It was a sympthom of my problem....my problem is me! I have to go to meeting because I can be abstinent and still active at the same time.

Struggling with addiction, Finding recovery and hope.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts