After his recent 21-hour filibuster-style marathon speech on Obamacare, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz found himself heckled over and over again by liberal activists during remarks at a conservative conference in Washington D.C. on Friday.
The constant interrupting by hecklers throughout his speech at the Values Voter Summit led the Republican lawmaker to throw out a number of crowd-pleasing one-liners:
- In response to one heckler, Cruz said: â€śThank you, sir, for being here. You know, look, it is a great thing that people can express their First Amendment rights. And I only wish the Obama administration respected First Amendment rights that much.â€ť
- To another heckler, Cruz responded: â€śMaâ€™am, thank you for being here. I wish you would participate in the democratic process through speaking respectfully. â€¦ It seems that President Obamaâ€™s paid political operatives are out in force today. And you know why? Because the men and women in this room scare the living daylights out of them.â€ť
- Interrupted again, Cruz took aim at the president: â€śYou know what? Iâ€™m curious. Is anybody left at the Organizing for America headquarters? Iâ€™m actually glad that the presidentâ€™s whole political staff is here instead of actually doing mischief in the country.â€ť
- When another heckler yelled out a question, Cruz responded: â€śYou know whatâ€™s striking, actually? In the course of this brief speech, weâ€™ve heard more questions than President Obama has allowed in the last year.â€ť
- The heckling then led Cruz to â€śmake an offerâ€ť to Obama. â€śI would welcome the president, if he wants to get a hundred of his most rabid political operatives in a room, Iâ€™ll answer their questions on television as long as he likes. And in exchange, all that I would ask, Mr. President, is you take not a hundred, but ten of the men and women in this room, and spend 30 minutes answering their questions for the American people.â€ť
- To another liberal activist, Cruz responded: â€śOh, they donâ€™t want the truth to be heard. They definitely donâ€™t want the truth to be heard.â€ť
- After the crowd broke into chants of â€śUSA, USAâ€ť in response to another interruption, Cruz said: â€śYou know the nice thing? The nice thing is the left will always always tell you who they fear. You. They fear the American people.â€ť
Cruz received a rock-star-like reception from the conservatives in attendance. â€śI receive that blessing. And let me say to each and everyone of you, I am inspired by you. I am invigorated by your passion for this great country,â€ť he said.