News & Politics

Pema_Jampa
Tea party lawmaker: Furloughed workers shouldn’t get back pay, even though he voted to approve it
October 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Tea party lawmaker: Furloughed workers shouldn’t get back pay, even though he voted to approve it

Friday, October 11, 2013 10:48 EDT
Ted Yoho speaks in a YouTube video

A tea party Republican lawmaker said he didn’t think some furloughed workers should receive back pay, even though he voted last week to authorize it.

Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) said Thursday evening during a telephone town hall that he agreed with a caller who said furloughed federal employees who work should be paid, but not those who “are home watching Netflix or whatever.”

“Well, when we voted on that they were supposed to come back to work as part of that deal,” Yoho said. “I agree 100 percent with you. If they’re not working, they shouldn’t get paid.”

The former large-animal veterinarian from Gainesville voted Saturday with other House members to unanimously approve retroactive pay for all federal workers, although Senate Democrats want the measure to be included in a comprehensive budget package that does not delay or defund the Affordable Care Act.

Yoho also defended his comments on raising the debt ceiling, blaming the liberal media for suggesting that a failure to lift the debt limit would bring turmoil — not stability — to world markets.

“It’s just an uphill battle we have to fight,” said Yoho, adding that the media liked to poke fun at him. “Good thing a lot of us are Christians.”

Replies

• gludwig2000
    October 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    Meh, what does he care, he will still get paid.
  • grandmab125
    October 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

He's on the right track in that the majority of those furloughed fed employees are filing for unemployment.  Soooo....they are double dipping into the tax payers' money.

Gee, do companies pay their employees back when they are laid off?  Nah.....

Welcome to the real world, gov't workers.

• denise3680
    October 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

IF they are trying to get unemployment, and then get it, they do not need to get paid back pay. 

• PrimmednPunked
    October 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I think that if they don't file for unemployment they should get paid.  They were forced out of their jobs due to our Congress being inept.  Pay them so  they don't have any issues later on.  

• grandmab125
    October 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Do companies pay their furloughed or, in corporate speak, laid off, employees?  Nah...  In the real world, people are forced out of their jobs every day.  That's what unemployment is for.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

I think that if they don't file for unemployment they should get paid.  They were forced out of their jobs due to our Congress being inept.  Pay them so  they don't have any issues later on.  

• grandmab125
    October 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

They are filing for unemployment compensation.  Now most states are saying that if the employees get retroactive pay, they have to pay the states back.  How many people are going to pay attention to that caveat?  If they don't, then the states can take the employees to court.  But think of the additional cost to the residents of those states for their state to go to court to get the money back.

Quoting denise3680:

IF they are trying to get unemployment, and then get it, they do not need to get paid back pay. 

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    October 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

You mean Reid and Obama adamantly refusing to negotiate with those damn Republicans.

They should only be paid work pay if they work. Otherwise, vacation time like the rest of us.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

• PrimmednPunked
    October 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM

And Boehner.  Or did you forget about him coming to an agreement with Reid and then reneging on it?

Quoting SallyMJ:

You mean Reid and Obama adamantly refusing to negotiate with those damn Republicans.

They should only be paid work pay if they work. Otherwise, vacation time like the rest of us.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

• jcrew6
    by jcrew6
    October 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    During a teletown hall Thursday evening hosted by Rep. Ted Yoho, a caller named Frank from Gainesville asked about furloughed workers.

"The people that had to work should be paid," Frank said. "But the people that are home watching Netflix and whatever, I'm not sure that we should be sending them checks."

Replied Yoho: "Well, when we voted on that they were supposed to come back to work as part of that deal. ... I agree 100 percent with you. If they're not working, they shouldn't get paid."

I agree with him..
  • SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    October 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM

No, you are mistaken -  Boehner always asked for negotiation. Obama and Reid adamantly said, "NO!"

Both the House and Senate have their own rules. What the Senate doesn't like is the House being a sticker for following their rules.

Unlike Reid and Pelosi who violated their own rules to prevent Republicans from having any input on Obamacare.

Ironically, if they had not done that, we would not be in this situation, and the Tea Party wouldn't even exist.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

And Boehner.  Or did you forget about him coming to an agreement with Reid and then reneging on it?

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

News & Politics