News & Politics

-Celestial-
GOP Sen: An abortion to save a mother's life is simply a 'matter of convenience'
August 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM

A Republican state congressman got into a heated argument with a Facebook user over the weekend regarding abortion rights. During the exchange, the congressman claimed that keeping abortion legal to save the mother's life was simply a "matter of convenience."

Brian Nieves, the Republican Missouri Senate Majority Whip, posted a photo of a gun on his Facebook page. Nieves claimed that an unnamed "Modern Day Patriot" gave him the gun and Nieves made negative comments about House Minority Leader, Democrat Nancy Pelosi in the process. Responding to the photo and Nieves was a fellow Facebook user, who ridiculed the Republican congressman for posting the picture and making the comments. Nieves then commented back, asking the Facebook user is he was easily offended by "partial-birth abortions." Think Progress points out that the conversation continued with the Facebook user posting medical reasons for why a late term abortion may be necessary, but Neives fired back with comments that are on par with typical conservative logic.

"Brian Nieves: (Facebook user's name)... This is what you say in support of Partial Birth Abortion?? Here are your words from above: "Common Logistical and Personal Reasons for Partial Birth Abortions

-- Lack or lack of recognition of pregnancy symptoms, particularly by adolescents

-- Inability to afford a first trimester abortion

-- Inability to locate medical assistance during first trimester (due to lack of local medical professionals)

-- Lack of financial resources, emotional support, and/or partner

July 20 at 11:36pm · Like · 2

Brian Nieves (Facebook user's name).... "Life of the Mother?" Your own argument proves it is a matter of convenience! Tell me this - Do you even know what a partial birth abortion really is? No, seriously, do you actually know what it is?? If so, explain to me what a partial birth abortion is."

While a late-term abortion is never on anyone's "to do" list, there are times when the procedure is medically necessary. Both sides of the political fence continue to battle over this issue and the larger issue of abortions rights and a woman's right to choose. The "pro-life" movement and "pro-choice" sector have laid claims to small victories in the past and, at times, the issue has even found its way to the Supreme Court.

At the end of the day, the argument and battle wages on. No one will ever be able to convince the opposing side to believe their side of the argument. The abortion issue isn't one that can be convenient by numbers and statistics, it's a matter of moral and ethical code that can only bring small victories to the table, not one that will win over an entire nation.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gop-sen-an-abortion-to-save-a-mother-s-life-is-simply-a-matter-of-convenience

Replies

• JanuaryBaby06
    August 31, 2013 at 11:37 PM

The abortion issue isn't one that can be convenient by numbers and statistics, it's a matter of moral and ethical code that can only bring small victories to the table, not one that will win over an entire nation.

Agree. However I really wish things were easy..... that one side would prevail or more to the point I wish people would see that this should not be a Political issue.

Agree

• JoJoBean8
    September 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM

What are teh stats on abortions to save a mothers life?

• jobseeker
    September 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

20 weeks,  That is 5 months of pregnancy.  given that younger girls might nt know they are gregnant for the first 8 weeks, that still gives you 12 weeksk, or 3 months.  I would venture to guess that since less than 3% of teh population lives more than 100 miles of an abortion provider I say that the arguemnt of access to abortion provider is almot negligible.  to say that it iis ever medically necessary for the health of the mother is arguable, since teh answer will depaned n who you alsk.  teh american college of obstetrics, while not calling it necessary will say that it is extremely rare.  

While I am pro life, and adamantly so,  DO wih that these men would sht up about abortion.  They are not doing teh pro life movement any favors.   

• gludwig2000
    September 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Actually, the reasons supplied in this article, are not the reasons for a partial birth abortion, nor should they be. PBA should be used only as a means of saving a mothers life, imo, and for no other reason. It is never used as a convenience and I really feel sorry for the women in his life if he believes that it is just a convenience.
  • JanetMonroe1991
    September 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

And once again the Repubs fan the fire of the war on women.  And they wonder why they lose national elections.  

• Billiejeens
    September 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

This isn't the 1800's it has been shown that "an abortion to save the mothers life" is less than 1% of all abortions.

Now, abortions to "save a mothers life style" is a bit higher.

Quoting gludwig2000:

Actually, the reasons supplied in this article, are not the reasons for a partial birth abortion, nor should they be. PBA should be used only as a means of saving a mothers life, imo, and for no other reason. It is never used as a convenience and I really feel sorry for the women in his life if he believes that it is just a convenience.

• PamR
    by PamR
    September 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

There are few abortions that need to occur because of a life-threatening situation to the mother; however, in the rare cases where they do occur, a woman should be able to have one.

• marchantmom06
    September 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    What makes anyone's opinion on someone else's life choices better than anyone else?

The same people bitching because of abortions are the same ones bitching about welfare. Get over it. Women worked so hard for their own rights and rights to their bodies and now people want to limit those rights....
  • Billiejeens
    September 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM
    Quoting PamR:

There are few abortions that need to occur because of a life-threatening situation to the mother; however, in the rare cases where they do occur, a woman should be able to have one.

No reasonable person is against that.

• PamR
    by PamR
    September 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

There seem to be more than a few people against it.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting PamR:

No reasonable person is against that.

News & Politics