News & Politics

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Does This Gun Control PSA Go Too Far?
August 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Does This Gun Control PSA Go Too Far?

by Lindsay Ferrier

Moms Demand ActionThe group Moms Demand Action just released a new PSA calling for stricter gun control laws. It's provocative and some question whether it goes too far.

The ad shows a mother helping her son get ready for school. First, he puts on a t-shirt with a bull's-eye on it, followed by a hoodie with another bull's-eye in the center. Before sending her son off to school, the boy's mother puts a kevlar vest over him with another bull's-eye on the front.

The message Moms Demand Action is trying to convey is at the end of the PSA. "Is This the New School Uniform? Send Congress a message. Pass gun control today or lose my vote tomorrow."

The PSA will definitely get people's attention -- but is it too much? Watch it yourself and tell us what you think.

I have to admit, this video gave me a lump in my throat and brought tears to my eyes. It was an uncomfortable reminder of all the feelings I experienced as a mother to elementary school-aged children in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings.

I feel a little bit like that mom myself, sending my kids off to school each day. School no longer feels like an entirely safe place for them to be, and I hate that I can't be there to protect them.

I don't know whether stricter gun control laws will keep incidents like the Columbine and Sandy Hook shootings from happening again, but this ad definitely airs the viewpoint of Moms Demand Action loud and clear.

And if you're wondering about this group, we reported on them for Moms Matter not long ago. Here's our video:

The PSA brings up a lot of questions. Are stricter gun control laws the answer? Would they prevent school shootings, or will people always find ways to kill, regardless of the laws that are in place? And does this PSA go too far for your comfort?

What do you think?

Replies

• kcangel63
    August 30, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    How much gun reform do we need to continue adding to what laws we already have?

It's not the guns that are the problem. I would be that many of the shooters lately are on anti psychotic, ADHD, and/or depression medications. Is there a study out there that says if they were taking them?
  • kcangel63
    August 30, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    Found something. I KNOW... it's WND. Find me others. I'm mobile. It's hard. LOL

...But in a number of high-profile cases, the link has been reported:

Kip Kinkel was withdrawing from Prozac and had been prescribed Ritalin when he murdered his mother and stepfather then shot 22 classmates, killing two, in 1998.

Christopher Pittman was withdrawing from Luvox and from Paxil when he killed his paternal grandparents in 2001.

Elizabeth Bush, who fired at fellow students in Williamsport, Pa., in 2001, wounding one, was on Prozac.

Jason Hoffman, was on Effexor and Celexa when he opened fire at his El Cajon, Calif., high school, wounding five.

Shawn Cooper of Notus, Idaho, was on antidepressants when he fired a shotgun on students and staff.

T.J. Solomon, on antidepressants, wounded six at his Conyers, Ga., high school.
    Eric Harris was taking Luvox when he and fellow student Dylan Klebold killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 24 others before turning their guns on themselves at Columbine High School in Colorado.

At Virginia Tech in 2007, where 32 were murdered, authorities found “prescription medications related to the treatment of psychological problems had been found among Mr. Cho’s effects,” according to the New York Times.

Read more at http://mobile.wnd.com/2012/12/psych-meds-linked-to-90-of-school-shootings/#RXv2IV4j4htlGfRP.99
  • sarahjz
    by sarahjz
    August 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM

It gave me the chills.  No, I don't think it goes too far.

• Lorik1969
    August 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
    Accordiing to the most recent data I could find, there were just over 98,000 public schools in the US in 2010. Lets be generous and say that there have been 100 school shootings. That would amount to .001% of all schools. Let's drop that number to 50, which I'm pretty sure is still high, and it becomes .0005%. A lack of guns won't stop someone who is determined. Instead of blaming the guns, why aren't we trying to figure out what is with the sudden rush of violence? Guns are nothing new, but this anger and insanity is. Rampant paranomia has taken over the country. Why don't we fix the problem instead of putting a band aid on it?
  • Kathy489
    August 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Yes, it goes too far. Otherwise, you would have to start banning knives, clubs, ropes, duct tape, etc. and any other item that can be used to kill people. Wasn't there a flashlight involved in one of the latest murders? Will the government start a ban on flashlights, too??

• 4kidz916
    August 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM

For the millionth time--guns aren't the problem, it's the people behind the guns that are the problem.  We need to fix them.

• .OceanBlue.
    August 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

People have been stabbed with forks, too.  Should we ban forks?  People have beaten others to death with their bare hands.  Oh, we should cut off our hands.  

Quoting Kathy489:

Yes, it goes too far. Otherwise, you would have to start banning knives, clubs, ropes, duct tape, etc. and any other item that can be used to kill people. Wasn't there a flashlight involved in one of the latest murders? Will the government start a ban on flashlights, too??

• Debrowsky
    August 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It goes too far. 

• 4kidz916
    August 30, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Following their logic we should. 

Quoting .OceanBlue.:

People have been stabbed with forks, too.  Should we ban forks?  People have beaten others to death with their bare hands.  Oh, we should cut off our hands.  

Quoting Kathy489:

• .OceanBlue.
    August 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

But to answer the question in the OP, yes, it goes too far.  

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts