News & Politics

Featured Posts
jcrew6
Bombing Suspects
by jcrew6
April 19, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The Associated Press reports that the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects in photos released last night have been identified. One is dead; the other is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, a resident of Cambridge, Mass. who immigrated legally to the United States.

And the great googling commences, made easlier by the suspect's uncommon name. (Dzhokhar is a common Chechen name. If the etymology holds up, the suspect is very literally Caucausian.) A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" was awarded a student scholarship by Cambridge in 2011. That year someone with this name was a wrestling "all-star" in the Cambridge Rindge and Greater Boston League. No, Brian Ross, there is no "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" in the rolodex of Tea Party Patriots.

UPDATE: A "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev" has a profile on VKontakte, Russia's answer to Facebook, and his wall looks ... much like the walls of Americans with the names of terror suspects, but with more Chechen jokes. Avaaz's Ben Wikler pulls a photo from the page:

Compare this to the FBI's photo:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0712/78793.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/AP/status/325196873486962688

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/what-we-know-about-boston-marathon-bomb-suspect-dzhokhar-tsa

http://www.businessinsider.com/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-2013-4

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.

His Page on Vkontakte, the Russian equivalent of Facebook, has been overrun with people asking him how he could have committed the bombing, and wishing him dead.

Replies

• denise3680
    April 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM

That was fast, it appears that homeland security is doing it job and did it well:)  Way to go for catching these guys so quickly:/  I hope they catrch the other one very quickly befoer he can hurt someone else.  The older one they say has or may have a device on him.

• denise3680
    April 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

sorry the older on eis dead.

• jcrew6
    by jcrew6
    April 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The 19 year old's face is so distinct.  I bet face recognition software was able to match him and his brother to their social media/sport online photos.  

• denise3680
    April 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

• 143myboys9496
    April 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    All of Boston is under a 'shelter in place' order. Along with Watertown, Belmont, Waltham, Newtown, and Cambridge.
    All MBTA and taxi services have been suspended. And there is no Amtrak service between Boston and Providence RI.
    Every college in the Boston area is closed.
  • 143myboys9496
    April 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

yes, I think so.  They got some really great video from the scene of the marathon.  Thank goodness those cameras were there.  I know people may hate what I am going to say, but I really think every major city should have cameras on the streets sidewalks.  This made the job so much easier to do.

• jcrew6
    by jcrew6
    April 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Tamerlan Tsarnaev's page on YouTube

Among subscriptions like the MaineSkiFamily's channel, a YouTube page linked to Tamerlan Tsarnaev's name and Google Plus profile focuses heavily on videos about Islam, as the screenshot below shows.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev's page on YouTube

The most recent subscription is to a channel called Allah is the One.

Tamerlan also created four playlists, one called Islam, and another, called Terrorists, which has two deleted videos.

• denise3680
    April 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

I'm not a big fan of giving up my freedoms. But the cameras don't bother me. They should if you're not doing anything illegal....right?

Quoting denise3680:

I guess I am not understanding what freedoms you are giving up.  IF you are not doing anything wrong, then really you would not even know they were there or really even pay attention to them:/  I am not trying to be snarky, I really am curious about your statement about losing your freedom.  IMO, I think they already have cameras all over the place, and the government already can find out anything they want to know about you at any given time, but we still have many freedoms, more so than many other countries.

• jcrew6
    by jcrew6
    April 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I wonder if the The older brother's online identity and info like this are linked to the bombings 

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/world/story/2012-03-21/chechnya-islamic-revival/53693048/1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/syria-war-rebels-chechnya-islamic-militants_n_2821197.html

So many questions....

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    April 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I won't hate you, I agree.

Quoting denise3680:

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN