News & Politics

Featured Posts
SallyMJ
Obama would not eat lunch with Senate Republicans because he didn’t have a food taster… (Yes, I'm serious)
by SallyMJ
March 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Thursday, March 14, 2013 15:28

Nicholas Ballasy
Senior Video Reporter

WASHINGTON — Following President Obama’s lunch meeting with Senate Republicans on Capitol Hill, Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins described the food served, and said the president was not able to eat since his “taster” was not present.

“University of Maine recipe for healthy lobster salad — I pointed that out to the president in keeping with the first lady’s initiatives, and Fox Family Potato Chips made in Aroostook County where I’m from, and wild blueberry pie full of anti-oxidants, see this was a healthy lunch as well. We did have a little ice cream on the pie too, also made in Maine, Gifford’s Ice Cream. So in all seriousness, this was well received,” Collins told reporters on Thursday after the meeting at the Capitol.

When asked if Obama ate at the lunch meeting, Collins said, “Unfortunately, you know, the president can’t,” said Collins. 

“He looked longingly at it,” Collins continued. “He honestly did look longingly at it, but apparently he has to have essentially a taster, and I pointed out to him that we were all tasters for him, that if the food had been poisoned all of us would have keeled over so, but he did look longingly at it and he remarked that we have far better food than the Democrats do, and I said that was because I was hosting.”

Replies

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    March 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM

This is actually real.

Sounds made up.

• TableforSeven
    March 15, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Usually one of the Secret Service agents tastes the President's food.  I don't get why NONE of the ones present could have done the tasting.....meaning why is there only one specific person?

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    March 15, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Maybe that Secret Service agent was off for the day?

Seems silly that Obama wouldn't have multiple people.

He did say the GOP food was much nicer than the Dem food. And looked like he wanted to have it.

The menu sounds wonderful to me. I'll take POTUS's meal as a carry out - or actually, a mail out.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Usually one of the Secret Service agents tastes the President's food.  I don't get why NONE of the ones present could have done the tasting.....meaning why is there only one specific person?

• TableforSeven
    March 15, 2013 at 3:59 AM

That's kind of what I was saying. Whenever the President goes anywhere there are MANY Secret Service agents.  It makes no sense to me that only one can taste his food.

Dessert sounds great to me, but not the main course.

Quoting SallyMJ:

He did say the GOP food was much nicer than the Dem food. And looked like he wanted to have it.

The menu sounds wonderful to me. I'll take POTUS's meal as a carry out - or actually, a mail out.

Quoting TableforSeven:

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    March 15, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Maybe there is only one who is willing to do it.

Quoting TableforSeven:

That's kind of what I was saying. Whenever the President goes anywhere there are MANY Secret Service agents.  It makes no sense to me that only one can taste his food.

Dessert sounds great to me, but not the main course.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Quoting TableforSeven:

• nanaofsix531
    March 15, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

• rocketracer
    March 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Does President Obama have a food taster? On Friday, the blog Obama Foodorama finds strong evidence that there was a special food taster for Obama at a recent $20,000 per plate dinner fundraiser in Tampa.

The blog highlights a series of tweets from Tyler Florence, the chef of the dinner, as well as from his wife Tolan Florence. Tolan tweeted, "Yes there is a taster. Lovely gentleman named Chef Andrew from The White House. We tasted one dish together." She later tweeted, "#1 Highlight of night obviously meeting @BarackObama #2: Tasting dishes with Chef Andrew from The White House = #nopoison."

We don't learn too much more about the mysterious Chef Andrew because Tolan apparently deleted her tweets the following day, andemailed Obama Foodorama to ask if the post could be changed in exchange for other information about the dinner. Eddie Gehman Kohan, founding editor of the site, declined her request.

Gehman points out that while there having been previous reports of a taster present at various food events Obama has attended, there aren't many reports about a taster in a fundraising setting. Media outlets have picked up on a taster everywhere from Paris to India. The secret service has always refused to confirm that Obama travels with a food taster, in keeping with their policies on security issues.

We understand why Obama might have a secret food taster, but can't help wondering how successful it is. After all, food poisoning can take several hours to manifest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/obama-food-taster-tyler-florence_n_1910098.html

• rocketracer
    March 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

posted at 12:17 pm on June 7, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

In medieval times, royal courts employed food tasters to ensure that the kitchen staff hadn't conspired to commit a coup d'etat through poison.  The practice continued for heads of state until modern times, and also for novels and Hollywood movies.  AFP reports that Barack Obama used one this week - in a French restaurant, no less, and I'm getting a lot of e-mail on it:

A US "taster" tested the food being dished up to President Barack Obama at a dinner in a French restaurant, a waiter said on Sunday. ...

Asked by AFP to comment, the restaurant confirmed the report.

Sacre bleu! What an insult to French cuisine!  Why, this is unprecedented ... except that it's actually not.  From November 2003:

AS if the Queen hasn't got enough on her plate accommodating all President Bush's security demands, the Secret Service have put a food taster into the Buckingham Palace kitchens.

Nothing is being left to chance by the Americans, who have assembled the largest security operation seen in London for the three-day visit.

According to sources, everything that is destined to be served up for the President has to be tasted first.

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    March 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Apparently not in all cases when he's eating with Congressmen and women and Senators.

Places where he's the only government official, sure. GWB did that too when he went overseas.

But these are his fellow elected officials in Washington, DC. Is he afraid Senate Republicans will poison him???! Conspiracy theories.

If this were a usual incident, it would not have made the news. Sounds paranoid to me.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Presidents can't eat anything without having a food taster try it first.And yes I am serious.

• nanaofsix531
    March 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

With all the conspiracies going around about him I would be afraid to be in the same room with them if I was him.He has every right to be paranoid.

Quoting SallyMJ:

Apparently not in all cases when he's eating with Congressmen and women and Senators.

Places where he's the only government official, sure. GWB did that too when he went overseas.

But these are his fellow elected officials in Washington, DC. Is he afraid Senate Republicans will poison him???! Conspiracy theories.

If this were a usual incident, it would not have made the news. Sounds paranoid to me.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts