News & Politics

sweet-a-kins
Fox news mocks Desiline Victor, 102 year old woman that received standing ovation at the SOTU
February 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Desiline Victor, a 102-year old woman, received a standing ovation during the State of the Union on Tuesday for her resolve to vote. Fox News hosts Brian Kilmeade, Martha MacCallum and Bill Hemmer, however, wondered what the "big deal" was.

Victor made two trips and waited three hours to vote in Miami in November. President Obama spoke about the need to protect voting rights during his State of the Union address on Tuesday, and pointed to Victor, who was there as a guest of Michelle Obama, as an example.

Kilmeade, MacCallum and Hemmer did not seem to think she deserved one, though. Speaking on Kilmeade's radio show on Thursday, MacCallum said that the issue had no place in the State of the Union because it could be handled on the "municipal level… Get the town council on that one."

"How long was she on line?" Hemmer asked.

"What's the big deal? She was happy," MacCallum argued. "She waited on line, she was happy that she voted."

"They held her up as a victim!" Hemmer alleged. "What was she the victim of? Rashes on the bottom of her feet?"

Replies

• rocketracer
    February 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Desiline Victor wasn't denied her voting rights.  She voted.

• GrannyM.
    February 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Shame on Fox News...shows their true colors....

• mikiemom
    February 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well yes Faux News makes fun of the fact that the GOP made it difficult to vote. She got the last laugh, she voted and they lost - they can keep laughing it shows us who they truly are.

• Pema_Jampa
    February 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Respect for elders? Way to insult the majority of your viewers.

• momov4888
    February 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I agree completely. How sad to disrespect an elder like that.  At 102, she should be treated like royalty, not ridiculed.

Quoting GrannyM.:

Shame on Fox News...shows their true colors....

• 4kidz916
    February 14, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don't think I've ever watched Fox News so I'm in no way defending their actions and if they truly did poke fun, then shame on them.  I do agree however, that this wasn't news for the SOTU address but more of a local issue.  Shame on the local people working at the voting booths for not trying to make her wait more comfortable or for not allowing her to move to the head of the line.  As another poster pointed out, she wasn't denied the right to vote, she just had to wait and that's not good at her age. 

• soonergirl980
    February 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I don't find it a big deal either. She got to vote. I've voted in every election since I was 18 EVERY election not just for 1 man. Her vote is no more special than anyone elses.

• stacymomof2
    February 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

How is some feel-good pandering "holding her up as a victim?"  Wow.  Figures they would comment about that.

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    February 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

There are idiots in every ideology. Including liberals.

I think they were upset that other people - like the late Chris Stevens - were not honored.

Do you think Obama would have called up this 102-year old woman, if she had voted for Romney? Me either.

• SandyLaxner
    February 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Why in the world would ANYONE have to wait that long to vote?  What was the problem?  Did anyone ask or speak up?  How about respect for elders and let her to the front of the line?!

News & Politics