News & Politics

sweet-a-kins
Carol Costello Clashes With Al Cannon, South Carolina Sheriff, Over Gun Control Laws
January 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Carol Costello Clashes With Al Cannon, South Carolina Sheriff, Over Gun Control Laws (VIDEO)

CNN anchor Carol Costello clashed with a South Carolina sheriff who said he would not automatically enforce gun control laws he considered unconstitutional.

Sheriff Al Cannon argued that the gun reform legislation introduced earlier this week was "very scary," as banning certain kinds of guns and limiting magazine purchases threatened citizens second amendment rights.

"As a law enforcement officer you ... are responsible for enforcing the laws, not determining if they are constitutional," Costello said. When asked if he would enforce gun reform laws, Cannon answered, "probably ... yes," and added, "but I will look closely at my own understanding of the constitution, my own study, and will put that in the context of what ... others say."

He compared his role to that of a military officer, who he said does not have to follow "unlawful orders."

"I don’t believe many generals would actually agree with you," Costello said. "Any general would say 'I don’t issue unlawful orders.'"

Costello is one of CNN's more outspoken anchors. She kicked a guest off her showafter he spewed anti-gay hatred on the air. She also urged conservative members of the media, including Rush Limbaugh and the Drudge Report, to "step back from the edge" of the gun control debate.

Replies

• sweet-a-kins
    January 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
    "As a law enforcement officer you ... are responsible for enforcing the laws, not determining if they are constitutional," Costello said. When asked if he would enforce gun reform laws, Cannon answered, "probably ... yes," and added, "but I will look closely at my own understanding of the constitution, my own study, and will put that in the context of what ... others say."

He compared his role to that of a military officer, who he said does not have to follow "unlawful orders."

"I don’t believe many generals would actually agree with you," Costello said. "Any general would say 'I don’t issue unlawful orders.'"

Dumb a$$
  • sweet-a-kins
    January 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Bump
  • SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    January 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Because a news commentator knows far more about guns and the military than an actual law enforcement officer.

Go Daryl Dixon - since any man looks sexy with a crossbow. Kills walkers quietly, and its ammunition is reusable. :)

• mikiemom
    January 26, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I personally think anyone in authority who claims they will not follow US law should be automatically removed from their positions of power and replaced with someone who will do their job.

• cadditalbrat
    January 26, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    i agree with the sheriff
  • 29again
    by 29again
    January 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I agree with the sheriff, and there are sheriffs all over the country saying the same thing.  He is not the only one stating that he would not enforce an unconstitutional law.  Between the sheriffs who can think and reason, and the OK's, I think most of us will be all right.

• Farmlady09
    January 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM

He is far from the only one saying the same thing. In fact, there are many who are openly stating they will stand behind the oath they took TO THE CONSTITUTION and are willing to fight to do that. Sheriffs are elected officials, and they take a very similar oath to the enlisted military. That oath is to the COTUS ~ not any officer and not to the CinC if the orders they receive are not lawful or are unconstitutional. I agree with 29again ~ there are enough people who still have some integrity left, and who give their loyalty to what matters instead of pandering to unconstitutional laws and the politicians that make them .... and who could care less what the sheeple bleat about. Aside from that, those politicians in favor of this have to get their ban through Congress before anything will change, and right now they are getting swamped by people telling them to start job hunting (in the pathetic economy they have created) if they pass this.

• mikiemom
    January 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

These people should be removed from their positions.

Quoting Farmlady09:

He is far from the only one saying the same thing. In fact, there are many who are openly stating they will stand behind the oath they took TO THE CONSTITUTION and are willing to fight to do that. Sheriffs are elected officials, and they take a very similar oath to the enlisted military. That oath is to the COTUS ~ not any officer and not to the CinC if the orders they receive are not lawful or are unconstitutional. I agree with 29again ~ there are enough people who still have some integrity left, and who give their loyalty to what matters instead of pandering to unconstitutional laws and the politicians that make them .... and who could care less what the sheeple bleat about. Aside from that, those politicians in favor of this have to get their ban through Congress before anything will change, and right now they are getting swamped by people telling them to start job hunting (in the pathetic economy they have created) if they pass this.

• sweet-a-kins
    January 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I hope they do refuse so all the right wing loons will be in jain where they belong

"As a law enforcement officer you ... are responsible for enforcing the laws, not determining if they are constitutional," Costello said. When asked if he would enforce gun reform laws, Cannon answered, "probably ... yes," and added, "but I will look closely at my own understanding of the constitution, my own study, and will put that in the context of what ... others say."

He compared his role to that of a military officer, who he said does not have to follow "unlawful orders."

Quoting Farmlady09:

• Farmlady09
    January 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I agree ... and we need to start from the top down ... Obama is at the head of that list, and quite a few of the congresscritters (most of them in fact) need to be tossed out right along with him. Like it or not, both enlisted soldiers and sheriffs take an oath that binds them first to the Constitution ... orders are secondary and unlawful orders are to be refused. Reading the local news around SC, most sheriffs are saying the same thing, and many are far more adamant about this. The same applies to sheriffs all across the country, and the numbers are growing daily. You may want this, but what they are doing is not constitutional, and the number of people who are flat out saying 'come get them' is also growing. There is great strength in numbers, but unarmed stupid people who want to take away the rights of others because they 'feel' like it don't stand much of a chance against those who aren't willing to give up their rights, their guns, and who are also supported by law enforcement and more than half the military.

Excerpt from the sheriff's oath ~ "By taking this Sacred Oath of Office I will have given my word to uphold, defend, support, and obey this Constitution for the United States of America. It will be my Supreme Duty and Responsibility to protect and defend this Constitution for the united States of America. Our Constitution is the very Soul of our great Country. "

Quoting mikiemom:

I personally think anyone in authority who claims they will not follow US law should be automatically removed from their positions of power and replaced with someone who will do their job.

News & Politics