News & Politics

Featured Posts
imamomzilla
Utah Business Owner Fires Two Liberal Employees To Cover Cost Of Obamacare…
January 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Sounds fair to me.

Via MSN News:

The head of a Utah forensics company says it’s only fair that two liberal employees were let go because liberal policies are costing his business.

A Utah business owner says he fired two employees in large part because they supported President Barack Obama.

“They were Obama supporters. We just knew they were,” Terry Lee, owner of Terry Lee Forensics, a Cedar City, Utah, digital forensics company, told The Salt Lake Tribune on Thursday.

Lee first mentioned the firings in the comments section of another story in the Tribune about a Vernal, Utah, smoothie shop owner charging “liberals” a higher price than “conservatives” for drinks. That shop owner said “liberal programs” are costing his business more, so it’s only fair that left-leaning customers should pay more.

According to the Tribune, Lee showed his support for the tactic by writing:

“Love it. We had to let two employees go to cover new Obongocare [sic] costs and increased taxes. Found two Obongo supporters and gave them the news yesterday. They wanted the idiot in the Whitehouse [sic], they reap the benefits.”

The comment was later deleted by the author.

Lee did not return a telephone call from MSN News on Friday to expound on the comment.

Contacted by the Tribune Thursday, Lee said he picked the two employees in large part on the basis of their politics, according to the newspaper. But he added that there were other issues as well, which he didn’t detail, and said the two workers “were not top performers.”

He said that he didn’t think the firings were illegal. “Is your political affiliation protected?” he was quoted as saying. “I don’t believe it is, but I don’t know.”

Utah law says private employment in the state is generally “at will.” That means a private employer can fire a worker without cause and without notice.

(WZ)

Replies

• TCgirlatheart
    TC
    January 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
    I'd be curious if he can/will get sued for discrimination of some kind.
    Sounds like a petty boss to me. Hopefully those two find employment again quickly.
  • trippyhippy
    January 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

What an asshole.

• Ednarooni160
    Eds
    January 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Hope their "vote" helps them get another job..

• Mystres
    by Mystres
    January 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I have read about a lot of places doing this.

• jaxTheMomm
    January 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Something about this I'm not buying.

• imamomzilla
    January 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

That's the same reaction I had......regarding your "bouncing phone".

LOL

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

• jaxTheMomm
    January 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Oh zilla....  I don't know why you do this.

My iPhone was on vibrate.  No, I wasn't eating chili.  Nor was I knitting and no, I'm not Canadian.  Yes, I had a great time out with friends.  Go enter that in your "things about jax" spreadsheet for handy reference later. 

Done?  Ok.  

I can't find anything on Terry Lee forensics.  If this business actually does exist, he's taken down his FB page etc.  It may be true, but I tend to think he was just bragging maybe?  I could be wrong though.

Quoting imamomzilla:

That's the same reaction I had......regarding your "bouncing phone".

LOL

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

• sweet-a-kins
    January 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I hope he gets sued

• ..MoonShine..
    January 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM

If this is true, I hope he gets in trouble. 

• 143myboys9496
    January 21, 2013 at 1:47 AM

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/labor/at-will-employment-overview.aspx

An excerpt:

"At-will means that an employer can terminate an employee at any time for any reason, except an illegal one, or for no reason without incurring legal liability.  Likewise, an employee is free to leave a job at any time for any or no reason with no adverse legal consequences.

At-will also means that an employer can change the terms of the employment relationship with no notice and no consequences.  For example, an employer can alter wages, terminate benefits, or reduce paid time off.  In its unadulterated form, the U.S. at-will rule leaves employees vulnerable to arbitrary and sudden dismissal, a limited or on-call work schedule depending on the employer’s needs, and unannounced cuts in pay and benefits.  "

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/illegal-reasons-firing-employees-30209.html

An excerpt:

"Federal law makes it illegal for most employers to fire an employee because of the employee's race, gender, national origin, disability, religion, genetic information, or age (if the person is at least 40 years old). Federal law also prohibits most employers from firing someone because that person is pregnant or has a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth. To find out if your business is covered by these federal laws, see Nolo's article Federal Antidiscrimination Laws.

Most states also have antidiscrimination laws that prohibit firing for all of the reasons listed in the federal law. Many state laws include additional prohibitions (for example, some state laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or marital status), and they cover a wider range of employers. To learn more about your state antidiscrimination laws, see Nolo's articles Employment Discrimination in Your State"

I think it's terrible that these people lost their jobs..

Call me calleous, I find the concept ironically funny.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts