News & Politics

JustCJ
I don't really care for 'polls' but....Obama approval is plummeting according to Gallup..
by JustCJ
January 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

***********full story here*************

Backfire: Obama Approval Plummets During Gun Push

Print Article Send a Tip
18 Jan 2013 712 post a comment

Just a week before the New Year, Obama enjoyed his highest approval ratings of 2012. According to Gallup, 58% of Americans approved of the job Obama was doing. Survey results released today by Gallup, though, show Obama's approval rating has plummeted to just 49%. It is a dramatic drop, especially coming over a holiday period when people traditionally pay little attention to politics. Four years ago, at his first inauguration, a full 69% of Americans approved of Obama. 

The drop in Obama's approval from 4 years ago is understandable, given the sluggish economy and the hope American's had as his presidency began. The considerable drop from just a few weeks ago is more puzzling. According to the media, he was the "winner" of the fiscal cliff negotiations, getting most of the tax hikes he campaigned on and avoiding spending cuts. 

Also according to the media, he has deftly exploited the Sandy Hook tragedy to make a renewed push for gun control. This is supposedly popular with the American public and Obama has been all over the airwaves pushing his proposals. He even orchestrated a back-drop of children from across the country to release his proposals to the public. 

And, yet, his approval rating is dropping. Exit polls from the past election make it pretty clear that voters chose Obama the person and not his policies. Pushing his policies even further to the left looks like its backfiring with the public.

Replies

• cbk_mom3
    January 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My, my, my, how the mighty have, and continue to fall! Well,couldn't happen to a nice, more deserving guy!

• SweetChild63
    January 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Boy this douche needs to learn to read a poll - or at least report on it accurately. Obama's approval has hoovered around the 50 percent mark for all of 2010, 2011 and most of 2012. Gallop does a rolling three day poll. Since Oct. 2012, that poll shows Obama's approval has generally been on the upswing. If you look at the Jan. 17 poll specifically on Obama's gun proposals, he's at 53 percent.

Oh, I know, he's saying by at one time early in his administration, obama was at 67 percent and now is at 49 percent. Early in Bush 2 reign, he was at 90 percent. When he finally left washington, he was at 29 percent. 

• stacymomof2
    January 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Meh, he's always been around this level.  At least 1/2 of the country is going to disapprove of any president.  Even popular presidents like Bill Clinton and Reagan are not that far off Obama's ratings.  It's not like he is extremely unpopular as a rule, especially considering the horrible state of the economy.  I linked a cool gallup graphic that lets you overlay approval ratings for up to 4 presidents at a time.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/124922/Presidential-Approval-Center.aspx

• ms-superwoman
    January 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM

So you only like polls when they support your ideas? Just my thoughts because I am sure I seen you in another post saying how you detest polls...

• JustCJ
    by JustCJ
    January 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I'm sure you didn't.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

So you only like polls when they support your ideas? Just my thoughts because I am sure I seen you in another post saying how you detest polls...

• Pema_Jampa
    January 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

So is the approval of the GOP...

• Friday
    by Friday
    January 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Meh, I don't give much credence to polls, too easy to skew for the results you want. At least that's what all the Republicans on CM told me when Dubya's numbers were tanking.

• ms-superwoman
    January 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Something about being to easy to sway... but if you say so.

Quoting JustCJ:

I'm sure you didn't.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

• ms-superwoman
    January 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Polls are only acceptable when it fits a certain persons ideals. Lol

Quoting Friday:

Meh, I don't give much credence to polls, too easy to skew for the results you want. At least that's what all the Republicans on CM told me when Dubya's numbers were tanking.

• JustCJ
    by JustCJ
    January 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I don't recall ever saying that...but...that's partly why I don't like polls. Can't really trust them. One minute they say one thing...then the next minute they say another.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

Something about being to easy to sway... but if you say so.

Quoting JustCJ:

I'm sure you didn't.

Quoting ms-superwoman:

News & Politics