News & Politics

Featured Posts
NWP
Fiscal Cliff Deal Passes the House. With No Changes!
by NWP
January 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

257-167!

Latest updates: House approves fiscal cliff bill

politicalmugshot

(CNN) - With bipartisan support, the House approved the fiscal cliff bill late Tuesday night after Republican leaders ultimately decided not to try and tack on an amendment to the Senate version of the legislation, which passed in the upper chamber around 2 a.m. ET Tuesday morning.

The package (PDF) puts off budget cuts for two months and preserves Bush-era income tax cuts for individuals earning less than $400,000 or couples earning less than $450,000.

The bill now heads to the president's desk for his signature. Check back here for the latest updates.

Replies

• NWP
    by NWP
    January 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Paul Ryan voted yes

• NWP
    by NWP
    January 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Interesting........

• 29again
    by 29again
    January 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Quoting NWP:

Paul Ryan voted yes

Yes, this is quite interesting....  I will have to check who voted how. 

How many years will it take to get the cuts, I wonder...

• Analeigh2012
    January 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    So now we will have this debate all over again, along with the debt ceiling debate.
    I am thankful the tax deal ended where it did... $400-450k is good. I was NOTlooking forward to paying thousands more than I already do! At least it is something.
  • 29again
    by 29again
    January 1, 2013 at 11:53 PM

11:12 p.m. ET - From CNN's Dan Merica: Rep. Paul Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman who voted yes on the fiscal cliff deal, told reporters he cast his vote because, "If you want a bill to pass, you should vote for it."

Why did you want it to pass, he was asked. "I am not afraid of anything, I think it needed to pass."

Because? "Because it needed to pass. I wanted to stop a big tax increase," he said.

11:08 p.m. ET – House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, the 2012 GOP vice presidential candidate, voted for the fiscal cliff deal, as did House Speaker John Boehner. The No. 2 ranking Republican in the House, Majority Leader Eric Cantor, third-ranking Republican in the House, GOP Whip Kevin McCarthy, both voted against it.

Not good that the House leadership is split on this.  And as much as I admire Mr. Ryan, that was a BS answer. 

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    January 1, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Well those House representatives that may have wished to have this deal fail may be idiots but they aren't necessarily stupid and probably didn't want to have been part of the reason it failed and then have to go back to their home districts and explain their vote. I don't think they would have fared well come the mid-terms either. Even some staunch Republicans were anxious to have this done and as the very extreme right and the Teabaggers have lost considerable influence they really needed to get this done now. They would have looked rather bad leaving it undone when the Senate stayed and voted on New Year's Eve.

In the end I am glad it is done although I still don't think we should have given tax breaks to those that earn so much, I liked the 250,000 limit better than the 400,000/450,000 with which they went.

• itsmesteph11
    January 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    I am ok with it passing only because of just what Ryan said. Taxes on you and millions of other families would have gone up by 5-10 percentage points or thousands of dollars a year. I dont believe we should be taxing anyone though, but because we went over the cliff it turned into a tax hike. I believe they must now go after Obamas spending and I dont care if they get blamed. They have to do what is right and best for America as a whole. If that means being the bad guy so be it. I.hope they can figure out how to get the message of what happens if we keep spending but even if they don't, they must stick to their guns. Along with that its important that we Americans do what we did in 2010. Put fiscally minded conservatives in congress. Especially the Senate. The make up of congress is up to us.
  • NWP
    by NWP
    January 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

There is a big difference between electing those who are fiscally minded and obstructionists who make pledges to an unelected lobbyist instead of the American people.

Quoting itsmesteph11:

I am ok with it passing only because of just what Ryan said. Taxes on you and millions of other families would have gone up by 5-10 percentage points or thousands of dollars a year. I dont believe we should be taxing anyone though, but because we went over the cliff it turned into a tax hike. I believe they must now go after Obamas spending and I dont care if they get blamed. They have to do what is right and best for America as a whole. If that means being the bad guy so be it. I.hope they can figure out how to get the message of what happens if we keep spending but even if they don't, they must stick to their guns. Along with that its important that we Americans do what we did in 2010. Put fiscally minded conservatives in congress. Especially the Senate. The make up of congress is up to us.

• NWP
    by NWP
    January 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM

BUMP!

• JakeandEmmasMom
    January 2, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ultimately it is good that it passed.  However, they need to stop punting the issue of spending cuts.  They better start working on it NOW and not wait one month and 3 1/2 weeks to come up with a compromise the way they did with the fiscal cliff.  The market will not stabilize until spending cuts are agreed to and the issue of the debt ceiling is resolved.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN