News & Politics

NWP
Fiscal Cliff Deal Passes the House. With No Changes!
by NWP
January 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM

257-167!

Latest updates: House approves fiscal cliff bill

politicalmugshot

(CNN) - With bipartisan support, the House approved the fiscal cliff bill late Tuesday night after Republican leaders ultimately decided not to try and tack on an amendment to the Senate version of the legislation, which passed in the upper chamber around 2 a.m. ET Tuesday morning.

The package (PDF) puts off budget cuts for two months and preserves Bush-era income tax cuts for individuals earning less than $400,000 or couples earning less than $450,000.

The bill now heads to the president's desk for his signature. Check back here for the latest updates.

Replies

• Analeigh2012
    January 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    I don't think it is "good", however, i DO like that everyone is paying more, not just "me". No deal would have put me in the category to pay an additional approximately $14,000 and now I will "only" see about $4,000 ... I was being purely selfish when I said good.... It is good for me the level went to $450,000 for couples and didn't stay at the $250,000 that Obama wanted.

Quoting juju40:

we're all going to pay higher taxes..if you make 110 thousand or less your going to pay 2200 more... 50,000 or less your going to pay 1000 more and if earn 20,000 or less your going to 400 more in taxes..how is that good

Quoting Analeigh2012:

So now we will have this debate all over again, along with the debt ceiling debate.
    I am thankful the tax deal ended where it did... $400-450k is good. I was NOTlooking forward to paying thousands more than I already do! At least it is something.

• juju40
    by juju40
    January 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

or he fell through the cracks...I agree something is wrong that's why he doesn't want to work

Quoting romalove:

Quoting juju40:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting juju40:

we are so screwed....how is extending unemployment benefits going to help??/get those people to work already.My cousin has been getting unemployment for four years.. he needs to get his ass back to work

How is that possible?

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3164

No state is even at the max of 99 weeks, which is a tad less than 2 years (it used to be 99 weeks with the extensions, btw).

Most I see now is 84 weeks.

good question..I ask myself that all the time

They can't be collecting for four years.  They are lying or something else is wrong.

• romalove
    January 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I don't think it is "good", however, i DO like that everyone is paying more, not just "me". No deal would have put me in the category to pay an additional approximately $14,000 and now I will "only" see about $4,000 ... I was being purely selfish when I said good.... It is good for me the level went to $450,000 for couples and didn't stay at the $250,000 that Obama wanted.

Quoting juju40:

we're all going to pay higher taxes..if you make 110 thousand or less your going to pay 2200 more... 50,000 or less your going to pay 1000 more and if earn 20,000 or less your going to 400 more in taxes..how is that good

Quoting Analeigh2012:

So now we will have this debate all over again, along with the debt ceiling debate.
    I am thankful the tax deal ended where it did... $400-450k is good. I was NOTlooking forward to paying thousands more than I already do! At least it is something.

People have to remember those are adjusted numbers.

If you earn $50K, that's before adjustments.  You'd have to earn quite a bit more than whatever your stated income is before you fall into these categories.  For many people, that means you fall into the "don't pay because of EIC" category.

• Billiejeens
    January 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Ridiculous,  77% of households in the country just got a tax increase, not just those above $450,000.00

Almost $2,000.00 per houshold on average.

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    January 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Idiots.

Love the increases to cutting spending ratio at 41 to 1.

A "balanced approach" indeed.

• Analeigh2012
    January 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    I am not being ridiculous.... I am being sarcastic and selfish!
    I am happy that any deal brought down my impending liability.
    If you were told you were about to have to pay $14,000 more and legislation was passed where you only have to come up with $4,000 ..... You wouldn't take a small moment to celebrate???

And 77% are receiving a tax increase because the payroll tax reduction of 2% will expire. If you see my responses on that thread, I am clearly NOT supporting this deal, increased taxes, Obamacare, Obama, orang of the shenanigans in DC!

I apologize for being sarcastic, since obviously no one understands it. Goodness gracious!

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Ridiculous,  77% of households in the country just got a tax increase, not just those above $450,000.00

Almost $2,000.00 per houshold on average.

• blues_pagan
    January 2, 2013 at 3:44 PM

What? This is complete BS.  So they didn't do anything.  Congratulations FAIL Congress.  THese guys need to be fired.

• Analeigh2012
    January 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    I am well aware of how the tax system works. I write out a check every year to the federal government and complain loudly about it. My ADJUSTED income is higher than ALL of the levels you have cited. I am pretty sure even with a deal, I will not be in the EIC category. And I am pretty sure my accountant estimated correctly and with the information published about the deal, my liability will be approximately $4,000 more than I have paid previously.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting juju40:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

If you earn $50K, that's before adjustments.  You'd have to earn quite a bit more than whatever your stated income is before you fall into these categories.  For many people, that means you fall into the "don't pay because of EIC" category.

• romalove
    January 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I am well aware of how the tax system works. I write out a check every year to the federal government and complain loudly about it. My ADJUSTED income is higher than ALL of the levels you have cited. I am pretty sure even with a deal, I will not be in the EIC category. And I am pretty sure my accountant estimated correctly and with the information published about the deal, my liability will be approximately $4,000 more than I have paid previously.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting juju40:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I wasn't implying anything about "your" particular income.  I don't fall under EIC either.

I only said this because I know a lot of people (not specifically you) hear these numbers and don't remember how much they get deducted come tax time, so their adjusted is much below the figures they are hearing.

• Analeigh2012
    January 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    Oh, OK, I thought I was still being unclear in my post... But I misread yours. Sorry!
    I completely agree with you about people not understanding the numbers. The news freaks people out in general sometimes!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

Quoting juju40:

Quoting Analeigh2012:

I wasn't implying anything about "your" particular income.  I don't fall under EIC either.

I only said this because I know a lot of people (not specifically you) hear these numbers and don't remember how much they get deducted come tax time, so their adjusted is much below the figures they are hearing.

News & Politics