News & Politics

Featured Posts
sweet-a-kins
Gun Control Support Soars In New Polls
December 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM

Gun Control Support Soars In New Polls

Support for tighter gun control laws continues to rise in the wake of the school shooting in Newtown, Conn., according to a new HuffPost/YouGov poll, and another new poll finds that support for stricter gun laws is at its highest point in years.

In the new HuffPost/YouGov survey of 1,000 adults conducted Dec. 21-22, 55 percent of Americans said that gun control laws should be made more strict, 13 percent said they should be made less strict, and 27 percent said there should be no change. Support for stricter laws in the new poll is even higher than it was in another HuffPost/YouGov poll conducted immediately after the shooting took place, when 50 percent of respondents said that that gun control laws should be made stricter.

A USA Today/Gallup poll released Thursday also found that American support for stricter guns laws is at its highest since 2004, but that blanket bans on some guns would remain a political challenge.

The Gallup poll of 1,038 adults, conducted Dec. 19-22, found 47 percent of Americans now favor passing new gun laws rather than simply ramping up enforcement of current law, a 12-year high. Fifty-eight percent of Americans would like to see stricter gun laws, a 15-point jump since October 2011. The poll had a 4 percentage point margin of error.

But underneath a broad openness to some changes, opinions on specific new restrictions varied sharply in the Gallup poll. Support for requiring background checks at gun shows, a measure proposed by President Barack Obama, is nearly unanimous, with 92 percent favoring the change. A proposed ban on semi-automatic guns, however, earns a much smaller majority of support. Public support for a ban on handguns has continued to drop, reaching a record low this year, with just a quarter in favor.

In spite of growing support for stricter gun laws, the HuffPost/YouGov survey found that the National Rifle Association, the leading gun rights advocacy group in the nation, receives higher positive than negative ratings, though negative views of the organization may be increasing in the wake its statement blaming the Newtown shooting on violence in the media and calling for armed guards to be placed in schools. Forty percent of respondents said they have a favorable opinion and 36 percent said they have an unfavorable opinion of the organization, while 24 percent said they were unsure. An earlier YouGov poll conducted in February for the Economist found that the NRA was ranked more favorably than unfavorably by a 36 percent to 28 percent margin, suggesting that unfavorable views of the organization may be increasing faster than favorable views.

Support for the NRA was highest among respondents who said that either they or members of their household belong to the group; 93 percent of NRA members and 71 percent of those with an NRA member in their household had a favorable opinion of the organization.

Overall, 10 percent of respondents said they or someone in their household is an NRA member, while 41 percent said they or someone in their household owns a gun. Among those in non-NRA households, 41 percent viewed the group unfavorably while 34 percent viewed it favorably. Views were more decidedly against the NRA among those living in households where nobody owns a gun, with 45 percent viewing it unfavorably and 26 percent viewing it favorably.

The poll also found mixed reviews of the NRA's proposal to place armed guards in every American school, but with support outpacing opposition. Overall, 45 percent of respondents said they either approved or strongly approved of the proposal, while 41 percent said they disapproved or strongly disapproved.

The survey found that both gun owners in general and NRA members in particular were much less likely than the general public to say that gun laws should be made more strict. Past surveys of NRA members and gun owners, however, including one conducted in July of this year by Republican pollster Frank Luntz, have found that NRA members do support certain gun control measures, such as increased use of background checks and requiring gun owners to complete gun safety training.

The HuffPost/YouGov poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.3 percentage points, though that inherent variation does not take into account other potential sources of error, including statistical bias in the sample. The poll used a sample selected from YouGov's opt-in online panel to match the demographics and other characteristics of the adult U.S. population. Factors considered include age, race, gender, education, employment, income, marital status, number of children, voter registration, time and location of Internet access, interest in politics, religion and church attendance.

The Huffington Post has teamed up with YouGov to conduct daily opinion polls. You can learn more about this project, and take part in YouGov’s nationally representative opinion polling.

Replies

• Farmlady09
    December 28, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I know how many we have, and I'm well aware of at least a few each of the neighbor's have. We also have bows/crossbows, knives, and some functional swords (DH is a knifemaker). I've never in my life met someone who owned only one gun ... unless it was their first. All of them planned on adding more.

For people that actually use guns regularly, having only one is about the same as having a drill with only one bit, or just a crosstip screwdriver. There are different sizes for different (and very good) reasons.

Quoting DSamuels:

Truthfully, I don't know the exact number of guns hubby has. I would guess around 10. I do know he has a .22, a deer hunting rifle (30 something?), a shotgun, I think another shotgun just for skeet shooting. I know he has a target shooting pistol, and 3 or 4 other handguns of various sizes (I'm thinking he's mentioned 9mm, 357 and 45) and he took my dad's handgun when he died in April. He has his CCP and keeps one in his truck since he works nights. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

No delusions on my part. More than half the military flat out doesn't like their CinC. In ANY civil war, there are those ~ even those in the military ~ that will take the opposing side. Since all military members take an oath to defend the constitution and the country from ALL enemies, both foreign AND 'domestic', and since many military members consider most/all of what Obama is doing as unconstitutional, AND since they feel he is not acting in the best interest of the country ... you (nor I) have any idea of where the dividing lines would fall. But there would absolutely be a division. The Civil war split not just between states, but between family members. You keep right one laughing though ~ it's the best medicine.

You can also tell yourself that most homes with guns only have one handgun or one shotgun. Personally, I don't know anyone with less than 5, and I know several (collectors as well as hoarders) with more than 500.

Given the number of women here who are chatting about the 'dairy cliff', again, you discount whatever you like. If milk (along with cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.) is of prime concern, think what the rest of the expected inflation (prices rose 0.2% from Jan. to Dec. 2012) and everyone has been worried. Add the expected 2.5 - 3.5% projected increase and that dairy cliff is going to be the least of anyone's worries. Do some more adding, because the discontinuation of federal food distribution to food banks is being expanded, many states are cutting back food stamp allowances per family (average right now is $50 a month), AND, once the glut in pork and beef ends (meaning the farmers that slaughtered most of their stock because of the rise in feed costs) and the shortages for meat catch up, hamburger is likely to be a luxury item for many. Still laughing?

If we all do the lemming thing over that cliff, there is talk of further cuts to ALL state programs, not just food stamps. Food banks nation wide are begging for donations, including most churches. Keep on giggling.

Winter is barely started, but most heating help is already nearly exhausted, even though the applications rise daily. For what it's worth, it's nippy here in SC ... but we have a heat exchanger we built and we feed it with the trees we cut down ... and my home is 499 square feet total. Others don't have it quite so easy (and for us it is easy since we cut the trees down 2 years ago) ~ they have to pay either electric bills or a fossil fuel/gas bill on top of their electric and other utilities. Most are also paying water/sewer, garbage, and optional things such as internet, cell phones, cable, etc. You still laughing (Farmlady goes to check on her hens to see if Sweets snitched feathers for dinner)??

If we go over that cliff, a lot of employers are going to either lay off people, or cut salaries. Less money to spend on necessities that cost more (due to the new regs for fuel) and food. Even if we don't go over that cliff, because of the lack of congressional action there are still a lot of employers that won't be hiring ~ and with the implementation of Obamacare and the newest regs many will still be cutting back/laying off employees. The best scenario is a full blown depression and another drop in our credit rating. So you keep laughing.

I have solar electric, a well, and a septic. I toss my little bit of garbage (home canning eliminates most 'garbage') on the compost pile or to the chickens. I have fresh eggs, a freezer, a storage cellar, and a yard full of meat and produce (I garden year round although right now it's just salad stuff and root veggies). I have free heat (literally). And, I can smile because I DO have the guns to at least remove wildlife threats to any of it. I'm not smiling at the rest of the situation, and I hurt inside when I think about how much some people are going to suffer due to our 'wonderful' government stupidity.

I don't think in singular Sweets. Never have. Part of being capable and self sufficient means considering a lot of problems and twice as many solutions. Just because you haven't considered the food issue while you are frothing happily about gun control doesn't mean others can't. We have a lot more than one problem at the moment, and gun control isn't going to do squat for any of them.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This is some psychotic delusions at play here

Yes, the entire military force would be at the disposal of the POTUS. , more this one gun per soldier...that is laughable

You still haven't addressed your earlier comment that theirs are billions of well stoked gun owners in America

With only 300-350 million in America and about half of the households owning a gun most of they are just 1 handgun or one rifle

The approx number is 84 million ...majority of them have 1 gun...

That's a fraction of the imiganery billions you claimed

And BTW, I never said we could never have another civil war..we just aren't having one now and not for the lies you have as reasons

Now you are bringing food supply into the conversation..which is new and not what you stated as a cause before ..

• DSamuels
    December 28, 2012 at 11:39 PM

He also has at least 1 bow. He used to have more, one for target and one for hunting but I think he downsized. His deer rifle was my dad's and since my dad didn't hunt anymore he gave it to him for Christmas one year. I think my dad only had the one pistol/handgun left for protection. 

I did tell him since he works nights and I am alone it might be a good idea to take me to the gun club he belongs to and teach me how to shoot. He took our daughter and her husband once before they were married and he said she is a natural. He bought a BB gun for the oldest grandkids to target shoot here a year or 2 ago. Abby, 11, (daughter's daughter) is a natural, Sam, 9, is right handed but left eye dominant so he has a bit of trouble unless you hold your hand over one of his eyes. I don't know if Max, 7, has used it yet.

Quoting Farmlady09:

I know how many we have, and I'm well aware of at least a few each of the neighbor's have. We also have bows/crossbows, knives, and some functional swords (DH is a knifemaker). I've never in my life met someone who owned only one gun ... unless it was their first. All of them planned on adding more.

For people that actually use guns regularly, having only one is about the same as having a drill with only one bit, or just a crosstip screwdriver. There are different sizes for different (and very good) reasons.

Quoting DSamuels:

Truthfully, I don't know the exact number of guns hubby has. I would guess around 10. I do know he has a .22, a deer hunting rifle (30 something?), a shotgun, I think another shotgun just for skeet shooting. I know he has a target shooting pistol, and 3 or 4 other handguns of various sizes (I'm thinking he's mentioned 9mm, 357 and 45) and he took my dad's handgun when he died in April. He has his CCP and keeps one in his truck since he works nights. 

Quoting Farmlady09:

No delusions on my part. More than half the military flat out doesn't like their CinC. In ANY civil war, there are those ~ even those in the military ~ that will take the opposing side. Since all military members take an oath to defend the constitution and the country from ALL enemies, both foreign AND 'domestic', and since many military members consider most/all of what Obama is doing as unconstitutional, AND since they feel he is not acting in the best interest of the country ... you (nor I) have any idea of where the dividing lines would fall. But there would absolutely be a division. The Civil war split not just between states, but between family members. You keep right one laughing though ~ it's the best medicine.

You can also tell yourself that most homes with guns only have one handgun or one shotgun. Personally, I don't know anyone with less than 5, and I know several (collectors as well as hoarders) with more than 500.

Given the number of women here who are chatting about the 'dairy cliff', again, you discount whatever you like. If milk (along with cheese, yogurt, butter, etc.) is of prime concern, think what the rest of the expected inflation (prices rose 0.2% from Jan. to Dec. 2012) and everyone has been worried. Add the expected 2.5 - 3.5% projected increase and that dairy cliff is going to be the least of anyone's worries. Do some more adding, because the discontinuation of federal food distribution to food banks is being expanded, many states are cutting back food stamp allowances per family (average right now is $50 a month), AND, once the glut in pork and beef ends (meaning the farmers that slaughtered most of their stock because of the rise in feed costs) and the shortages for meat catch up, hamburger is likely to be a luxury item for many. Still laughing?

If we all do the lemming thing over that cliff, there is talk of further cuts to ALL state programs, not just food stamps. Food banks nation wide are begging for donations, including most churches. Keep on giggling.

Winter is barely started, but most heating help is already nearly exhausted, even though the applications rise daily. For what it's worth, it's nippy here in SC ... but we have a heat exchanger we built and we feed it with the trees we cut down ... and my home is 499 square feet total. Others don't have it quite so easy (and for us it is easy since we cut the trees down 2 years ago) ~ they have to pay either electric bills or a fossil fuel/gas bill on top of their electric and other utilities. Most are also paying water/sewer, garbage, and optional things such as internet, cell phones, cable, etc. You still laughing (Farmlady goes to check on her hens to see if Sweets snitched feathers for dinner)??

If we go over that cliff, a lot of employers are going to either lay off people, or cut salaries. Less money to spend on necessities that cost more (due to the new regs for fuel) and food. Even if we don't go over that cliff, because of the lack of congressional action there are still a lot of employers that won't be hiring ~ and with the implementation of Obamacare and the newest regs many will still be cutting back/laying off employees. The best scenario is a full blown depression and another drop in our credit rating. So you keep laughing.

I have solar electric, a well, and a septic. I toss my little bit of garbage (home canning eliminates most 'garbage') on the compost pile or to the chickens. I have fresh eggs, a freezer, a storage cellar, and a yard full of meat and produce (I garden year round although right now it's just salad stuff and root veggies). I have free heat (literally). And, I can smile because I DO have the guns to at least remove wildlife threats to any of it. I'm not smiling at the rest of the situation, and I hurt inside when I think about how much some people are going to suffer due to our 'wonderful' government stupidity.

I don't think in singular Sweets. Never have. Part of being capable and self sufficient means considering a lot of problems and twice as many solutions. Just because you haven't considered the food issue while you are frothing happily about gun control doesn't mean others can't. We have a lot more than one problem at the moment, and gun control isn't going to do squat for any of them.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Yes, the entire military force would be at the disposal of the POTUS. , more this one gun per soldier...that is laughable

You still haven't addressed your earlier comment that theirs are billions of well stoked gun owners in America

With only 300-350 million in America and about half of the households owning a gun most of they are just 1 handgun or one rifle

And BTW, I never said we could never have another civil war..we just aren't having one now and not for the lies you have as reasons

Now you are bringing food supply into the conversation..which is new and not what you stated as a cause before ..

• 29again
    by 29again
    December 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I always thought my parents had only one pistol.  Turns out they have at least 4 guns, and I never knew....  We have more than one, plus a bow, sword, and assorted karate weapons, and dozens of knives.  Since I don't yet have my CCW, I have a knife on me at all times.  Always, every day. 

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    December 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM

That explains why gun makers can't not make guns fast enough.  

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    December 29, 2012 at 6:50 AM

That would be a 30-06 or a 30-30.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    December 29, 2012 at 7:00 AM

We have a 30-06, a 410, 12 gage, two AK47's one SKS, a 45 witness, a 9 mm, a 303 British,a 300 savage and an StG 44.  I also have the Taurus titanium 38 that I carry, light as hell.

Quoting DSamuels:

He also has at least 1 bow. He used to have more, one for target and one for hunting but I think he downsized. His deer rifle was my dad's and since my dad didn't hunt anymore he gave it to him for Christmas one year. I think my dad only had the one pistol/handgun left for protection. 

I did tell him since he works nights and I am alone it might be a good idea to take me to the gun club he belongs to and teach me how to shoot. He took our daughter and her husband once before they were married and he said she is a natural. He bought a BB gun for the oldest grandkids to target shoot here a year or 2 ago. Abby, 11, (daughter's daughter) is a natural, Sam, 9, is right handed but left eye dominant so he has a bit of trouble unless you hold your hand over one of his eyes. I don't know if Max, 7, has used it yet.

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

• DSamuels
    December 29, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I can't remember if it's a 30.06 or a 30-30. I know the first handgun he bought was a Taurus (his zodiac sign LOL). I know he has one that you pull back a slide thing and it bites his hand when it shoots. He doesn't like that one, but my daughter had no problem with it. 

Most of them are in cases, in a storage room in the basement on a high shelf. Does me no good if someone breaks in, but he's talking about keeping one in our bedroom. I hadn't realized he had taken it out of there. 

Quoting Carpy:

We have a 30-06, a 410, 12 gage, two AK47's one SKS, a 45 witness, a 9 mm, a 303 British,a 300 savage and an StG 44.  I also have the Taurus titanium 38 that I carry, light as hell.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Farmlady09:

Quoting DSamuels:

• DSamuels
    December 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I asked him at dinner. He has one of each. He said we have 6 "long guns" (.22, 30.06, 30-30, shotgun, trap shotgun and one other) and 6 handguns. He mentioned a 9mm, a 357, and I can't remember what else. That doesn't count the pellet gun or BB rifle I don't think. I think the 357 is the kind that has the round thing that comes out and holds 6 bullets. I remember he had a speed loader for that at one time, probably still does.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting DSamuels:

• Carpy
    by Carpy
    December 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM

The round thing is called a revolver, lol :)  Speed loaders are nice. Tell him he better stock up good on ammo.  I just got done ordering 30 thousand bucks worth.  All the 223's they had in stock.  I have been selling ammo out the wazzoo.  I am the only one in a 100 miles with 223 ammo,  Only because I bought several cases before the craziness started when I got a good sell on it.  I could triple the price and it would still sell.  AR15's are nearly impossible to get right now.

Quoting DSamuels:

I asked him at dinner. He has one of each. He said we have 6 "long guns" (.22, 30.06, 30-30, shotgun, trap shotgun and one other) and 6 handguns. He mentioned a 9mm, a 357, and I can't remember what else. That doesn't count the pellet gun or BB rifle I don't think. I think the 357 is the kind that has the round thing that comes out and holds 6 bullets. I remember he had a speed loader for that at one time, probably still does.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting DSamuels:

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN