News & Politics

Featured Posts
Kate_Momof3
Senator Calls MTV Show a Travesty
December 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

What do you think about shows like these? (and the fact that MTV asked NJ to subsidize Jersey Shore)

TRENDING: Senator calls MTV show a 'travesty'

December 8th, 2012
01:59 PM ET
CloseShare this on:

Senator calls MTV show a 'travesty'

Posted by

(CNN) - "Whatever happens, happens."

That's the motto of the cast of the new MTV show "Buckwild," which has drawn the eye of a U.S. senator.

- Follow the Ticker on Twitter: @PoliticalTicker

Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, described "Buckwild" as a "travesty" in a letter to the television network.

"This show plays to ugly, inaccurate stereotypes about the people of West Virginia," he wrote.

Appalachian party animals bring together booze, brawls and backwoods, filling the void left by "Jersey Shore," the MTV hit that is going off the air after six seasons. On the characters' agenda: "throwing a dump truck pool party" and "building their own human slingshot," the show's website says.

Manchin called for the network to cancel the show, which is set to begin airing in January.

MTV had no comment on the request.

"Let me tell you: our people have given their all for this great country," Manchin wrote of his fellow West Virginians. "They've done the heavy lifting to produce the energy that is needed to produce the steel that builds our factories and cities. The proud veterans of our state have shed more blood and made more sacrifices than most other states to keep America free. We're proud of all we do to make America strong and secure the cherished freedoms that you seem so determined to abuse."

"Jersey Shore" also drew objections from political leaders in the Garden State.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie vetoed tax credits for the show approved by a state economic development board in 2011, saying, "As chief executive I am duty-bound to ensure that taxpayers are not footing a $420,000 bill for a project which does nothing more than perpetuate misconceptions about the State and its citizens."

- CNN's Rachel Wells and Stephanie Goldberg contributed to this report

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    December 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Aren't all of the, "reality shows", on MTV and any other network a travesty?  Isn't that what makes the sick public watch them?

• blues_pagan
    December 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

People love stereotypes and trash tv.  MTV is giving the majority of their viewers what they want.  The basic Jackass in real life scenarios.  

Me personally I agree with the senator, they are horrible and I refuse to view them to raise their rating.

• Aivlys_
    by Aivlys_
    December 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    I agree with him... Some people like to watch trash on tv!
  • bec94
    by bec94
    December 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Once MTV started these reality shows I stopped watching. I have no interest in watching people act stupid.
  • Erinelizz
    December 9, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    This.

I've never watched a single episode of Jersey Shore or any of that other trash. The only reality show I watch is Sister Wives, which I actually think helps viewers to break a stereotype.

Quoting blues_pagan:

People love stereotypes and trash tv.  MTV is giving the majority of their viewers what they want.  The basic Jackass in real life scenarios.  

Me personally I agree with the senator, they are horrible and I refuse to view them to raise their rating.

• 143myboys9496
    December 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Like Jersey Shore isn't stereotypical Italian..c'mon.

And the "Housewives" series? Why would anyone rich or poor, want to be shown as a drunk, idiotic, implanted, pile of plasma, clearly useful for only one thing? 

And that show "16 and pregnant" (is that the right title?) is NOT a travesty? IMHO, that's the worst one.

Just to throw this thought out there:

If reality shows are stereotypical of a certain "genre" of people, how is portraying them...politically correct?

• shannonnigans
    December 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    I agree with his tastes; however, you can't tell MTV to cancel it simply because you find it trashy.

And I have to admit, this dump truck pool party thing intrigues me - anyone want to fill this West Coast chick in on what that is?
  • PamR
    by PamR
    December 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Reality shows tend to deal in stereotypes, don't they?

• emeraldangel2.0
    December 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Aren't all of the, "reality shows", on MTV and any other network a travesty?  Isn't that what makes the sick public watch them?

i agree. i don't watch MTV (or RTV, as I call it) anymore. it's a huge joke that used to be a pretty decent channel

• Kate_Momof3
    December 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I don't understand your question.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

\If reality shows are stereotypical of a certain "genre" of people, how is portraying them...politically correct?

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN