News & Politics

erika9009
What is the Worst Politically Correct Thing......................to You?
December 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

What is the worst politically correct thing to you?

Mine is still people calling Easter eggs "Spring Eggs".............................Yet, they still do it on Easter, not March 21st.

banging head into wall

Replies

• Ednarooni160
    Eds
    December 9, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Quoting imamomzilla:

Hey..how did it go today..was telling my family what you were doing..they APPLAUD you.

• Ednarooni160
    Eds
    December 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Crosses burning in yards vs..cross's being used as memorials.as example for the fallen heros..it's all in the viewers eyes.. Money can be used for good or evil..shall we get rid of it?

• MsDenuninani
    December 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting 7SportsMom7:

Here is an honest question ... when I was young, people of color (if that's even correct to say?) were negro, then as a teen it was black and now it's African American ... is it really politically correct to say one or the other and if so, how does one know?  I truly don't want to offend but am never quite sure what is offensive.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I don't like it when people go out of there way to be politically correct with me because I'm black.

I'd rather know how / what you really think.

If you're trying to not offend, then it's best to go with African-American, because, chances are, no one's going to be offended by it.

There are people who are not offended by other terms, but rather than guess, best to just go with the term of the day.

As for how one knows. . .people usually know these things because they have regular contact with that group.  In all honesty, I don't know how one figures out what the best way to call a group of people is if you aren't really familiar with that group of people.  I've made my fair share of mistakes, no doubt.

• imamomzilla
    December 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I didn't see this til now, Sorry Eds.

I was such a great experience! I emailed a bunch of friends and colleagues prior, and so many showed up. :-) Those who didn't, wished me luck and promised to make a donation.

My kettle was full to the brim. The little kids with coins were the cutest.

The director of Salvation Army wasn't there when I turned it in, but she called yesterday to personally thank me.

Thank you all for the love and support. I am truly blessed. :-)

giving heart

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Hey..how did it go today..was telling my family what you were doing..they APPLAUD you.

• 7SportsMom7
    December 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks for the reponse.  I usually do say AA if I'm making a general reference and I guess that's what I was asking from someone I don't know and your original comment ... so "term of the day" makes sense in that particular regard.

I do have black friends and some of my teenage sons best friends are black but I personally haven't asked them what might be offensive ... I just use AA and black interchangeably because I know they also use black.  I appreciate your input :)

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Quoting 7SportsMom7:

Here is an honest question ... when I was young, people of color (if that's even correct to say?) were negro, then as a teen it was black and now it's African American ... is it really politically correct to say one or the other and if so, how does one know?  I truly don't want to offend but am never quite sure what is offensive.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I don't like it when people go out of there way to be politically correct with me because I'm black.

I'd rather know how / what you really think.

If you're trying to not offend, then it's best to go with African-American, because, chances are, no one's going to be offended by it.

There are people who are not offended by other terms, but rather than guess, best to just go with the term of the day.

As for how one knows. . .people usually know these things because they have regular contact with that group.  In all honesty, I don't know how one figures out what the best way to call a group of people is if you aren't really familiar with that group of people.  I've made my fair share of mistakes, no doubt.

• cbk_mom3
    December 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM

• jillianmayasmom
    December 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
    That is so odd to me. I was in a car accident three years ago. My right knee and femur are held together by titanium. I was in PT fien5 months. I would not be offended at all by that. My right leg is bad and my left leg is good. That is a fact. Ridiculous.

Quoting PTmomma3:

For me, as a physical therapist, the worst is that it's now not acceptable to say your bad leg or good leg. Instead we have to say involved leg and uninvolved leg.

• PTmomma3
    December 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    That's why in this case it's completely ridiculous. I have never had one single patient who didn't look at me like I was speaking a foreign language when I say "involved" leg. Then I explain that it's not politically correct now to say bad leg and every one of them laugh and give me permission to call it their bad leg, lol. Once they've given their permission I say good and bad leg. Crazy stuff!

Also, health care professionals are not supposed to define patients by their diagnosis now. For instance, we are not supposed to say that patient is a diabetic. Now we are supposed to say the patient with diabetes :)

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

That is so odd to me. I was in a car accident three years ago. My right knee and femur are held together by titanium. I was in PT fien5 months. I would not be offended at all by that. My right leg is bad and my left leg is good. That is a fact. Ridiculous.

Quoting PTmomma3:

For me, as a physical therapist, the worst is that it's now not acceptable to say your bad leg or good leg. Instead we have to say involved leg and uninvolved leg.

News & Politics