News & Politics

JustCJ
So Um get this $%it..Michael Jackson wrote an anti abortion song...apparently the choicers are all in a tizzy hehe.
by JustCJ
November 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM

‘I’d like to have my child’: newly uncovered Michael Jackson song tackles abortion

BY JOHN JALSEVAC

LOS ANGELES, September 21, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – The King of Pop is dead, but he has a message from beyond the grave about life: unborn life.

Michael Jackson

This past week, Sony released a 25th anniversary edition of Jackson’s album Bad, which includes several brand new songs that had previously never made it past the cutting room floor. One of these, “Song Groove (a.k.a. Abortion Papers),” has riled abortion activists by tackling the issue of abortion in a way that is decidedly sympathetic to the pro-life outlook.

“Abortion Papers,” which Jackson recorded in the 1980s, tells the story of a pregnant woman who is considering abortion, apparently against the wishes of the baby’s father. The lyrics are sometimes obtuse, and sometimes difficult to make out, but the message becomes clear in the chorus:

Those abortion papers
Signed in your name against the words of God
Those abortion papers
Think about life, I’d like to have my child

On numerous occasions the narrator questions the abortion asking, “What about love?” and “What about God?”

(Click “like” if you want to end abortion

Joseph Vogel at The Atlantic reports that in his notes about the song, Michael Jackson expressed his concern about getting his message across in a non-judgmental way.

“I have to do it in a way so I don’t offend girls who have gotten abortions or bring back guilt trips so it has to be done carefully…I have to really think about it,” Jackson reportedly wrote.

Matt Forger, an audio engineer who worked with Jackson for years, says that technicians who were working on archiving the King of Pop’s recordings initially “overlooked” the song. But when they did finally hear it, they “knew it could be controversial, especially with what’s been going on politically.”

“But when you listen to the song there’s a story being told,” says Forger. “Michael really reflected on what the approach should be. He wasn’t sure how to narrate it. There were different variations with vocals—he didn’t want it to be judgmental. He was very clear about that. But he wanted to present a real, complicated situation.”

But whatever Jackson’s intentions, the song has been given a less than enthusiastic welcome by some abortion activists.

Popular feminist writer Amanda Marcotte took issue with the song’s suggestion that a father might have any rights over his own child in a post on Slate magazine, describing the song as “a Christianity-heavy screed chastising a woman for choosing abortion instead of giving the narrator the child he is entitled to.

Full story HERE.

Replies

• Canvas_says
    November 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

But it's Michael Jackson, his history with children kind of well.... 

• _Kissy_
    by _Kissy_
    November 15, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    MJ did treasure life. Everyone does.

I'm sure this is one time his questionable background wont be mentioned since he's so prolife.

FTR.
  • JustCJ
    by JustCJ
    November 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM

LOL true true.

Quoting _Kissy_:

MJ did treasure life. Everyone does.

I'm sure this is one time his questionable background wont be mentioned since he's so prolife.

FTR.

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    November 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

MJ was so very naive, like a child his whole life. I thought at the time the Martin Bashir expose was disturbing - but look at how Bashir is now. I think this program was his way of getting into America, and becoming an "opinion journalist" whose aim seems to be to smear many of his guests and other notable people. From what I know now, I do not believe the stories about potential child sexual abuse were true. I did at the time. MJ made settlements to several people so he would not have to go through trials, which would probably cost more. MJ was so incredibly naive that he unknowingly got himself into situations that any adult should know were not kosher. But coming from physical, verbal, emotional abuse himself, and becoming a superstar virtually his whole life, he never had a normal life, nor was he able to develop a normal adult psyche. He wanted children, because he wanted to love and be loved. He was stunted emotionally, became very stressed after the trials which no doubt were humiliating, trusted a negligent physician to be his personal doctor, who got him addicted to medications and even an anesthetic used in surgical procedures, which killed him. Very sad life. 

• PamR
    by PamR
    November 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM

So what?  Everyone is entitled to their beliefs.  I can assure you, I'm not in a tizzy.

• Pema_Jampa
    November 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Tizzy? First I've read of it. More power to him. RIP Michael.

• PeeperSqueak
    November 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM

There's some good in everybody......some it's more difficult to find.

• caito
    by caito
    November 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM

This "choicer" doesn't give a shit lmao.

• Friday
    by Friday
    November 15, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Meh, this pro-choicer doesn't care.

I'm not one for pop music but always liked MJ, Man in the Mirror is one of my favorite songs. Never cared for his later stuff. I never bought the child abuse stories, I think as a previous poster said he was emotionally stunted from the years of abuse and celebrity. Besides that, as a parent, if my child were actually abused, you couldn't give me enough money to shut up and go away. I always thought MJ had a childs mind and emotions, and doubted the validity of the abuse claims.

I'm more interested in celebs talent than politics, unless they are a total douche like the talented guitarist, Ted Nugent.

• billsfan1104
    November 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    He was a kid tickler. Dont care if he was pro-life or pro-abortion.
    Its too bad. He had some great music.

News & Politics