News & Politics

Featured Posts
_Kissy_
Obama Wins 8 of 10 Wealthiest Counties in US
by _Kissy_
November 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM

In an election that often focused on debates about class warfare, President Barack Obama was favored over multimillionaire businessman Mitt Romney in eight of the nation's 10 wealthiest counties.

And his margin of victory in all eight counties was greater than that of the national vote, in which Obama was leading by 50 percent to 48 percent with 97 percent of precincts reporting.

The findings are based on a CNBC.com analysis of Census Bureau numbers on average annual household income from 2006-2011 and results from Tuesday's elections. (Read More Below the Chart)

The 10 richest counties accounted for 1,337,700 votes, or about 1.1 percent of the national popular vote. 

In the richest, Massachusetts' Nantucket County, where average annual household income is over $137,000, Obama won by 63 percent to Romney's 36 percent with all precincts reporting. The richest county in Romney's home state is also where, just prior to accepting the Republican nomination, the former Massachusetts governor held a$75,000-per-person dinner fundraiser.

In none of the richest counties was the margin of victory wider than in California's Marin County, just north of San Francisco, where the president won by 74 percent to 23 percent, with all precincts reporting. In Marin, the average annual household income is $128,544.

The two richest counties where Romney won were in New Jersey: adjacent Hunterdon and Morris counties in the northern part of the state. Romney won in Morris by 55 percent to 44 percent and in Hunterdon by 59 percent to 40 percent. However, Somerset County, which abuts Hunterdon and Morris, went to Obama by 53 percent to 47 percent.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-wins-8-10-wealthiest-154837437.html

Replies

• Sami....
    November 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Majority of those are in the NE or CA. It's not shocking that the northeast and CA voted democrat.
  • _Kissy_
    by _Kissy_
    November 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Bump
  • DSamuels
    November 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    Hmmm, the liberal northeast, CA and CO. Am I supposed to be surprised they voted Obama? I'm not.
  • Sisteract
    November 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Hey, rich people in blue states that pay more into the feds while extracting less.

Poor, red states that put in less and take out more- while voting for the Rs.

Now who the heck are the lazy, uneducated takers?

LOL at the lack of common sense.

Face it ladies, ,many  buy into talking points without using logic and reasoning.

Hate to see what would happen if the ACTUAL givers closed their pocketbooks.

• mikiemom
    November 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Yay he won my county
  • Canvas_says
    November 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Maybe you didn't mean to quote me? But, I am no where near a Lib lol. 

Quoting itsmesteph11:

I think you libs miss the REAL point. Libs want the rich to pay more out of revenge not for the fact that it will actually help.   Taking every dime frome these millionaires would not put a dent in the debt.  It will however cause them to stop donating, investing, and those with businesses, hiring.  

All of the above being bad for the middleman you so claim to care about.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Let's be real here any tax increases aren't really going to hurt the rich. They are only going to hurt their employees. If you have money, you will still have it tomorrow. It's the middleman that doesn't have much to hold onto. 

• lnicole
    by lnicole
    November 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I just asked my husband that.  Over a billion dollars donated what do the "people" think he wanted in return?  Seriously?  are people that clueless?

Quoting Sisteract:

IMO, some at the very tip top, would like that to end. Does anyone really think that Sheldon A donated close to a billion dollars to MR's campaign for the good of all Americans; to secure the possibility of the American dream for all? I hope folks are not that naive.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Yes I live in one of these wealthy states on the East Coast.We voted Obama despite actually having money...go figure.

That is because we have humane views and know that only in America can you pull yourself up by your boot straps and make it.

Not every poor person is a loser and moocher,or every disabled a liar on medicaid .The only loser is those who want to keep them down!Look at Obama...he came from a modest back ground and now he is the president for a second term.

Only in America....only in freakin America can everyone have a chance!

• Maman9
    by Maman9
    November 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I find no surprises here, since the two pro-Romney counties are Christie supporters. Another factor is that many of these richest counties are not caught up in the immigration fray, because so many households hire cheaper immigrant staff. They have a vested interest in having a President and staff that will try to promote legalisation of workers. The Bushes (whom I voted for) are among a few well-known Amercans that have had both legal and illegal immigrants on their personal staffs. Six counties are in New England, two out West and two in the South. I live in the Tri-State area, yet I also observe this practise in the Southeast.

• ZanderandBella
    November 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Lets fix the tax problem. Same % across the board no matter how much you earn except lowest income earners and no tax breaks for anyone. I think it's stupid that everyone feel the rich should be paying more when they already pay a higher percentage than everyone else. It's like giving them consequences for being successful the more they tax. 

• Billiejeens
    November 9, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Pretty sure that I already explained this.

Obama supporters fall into two groups.

parasites and those that make money off of parasites.

Those counties are the money off the parasite people.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts