News & Politics

Featured Posts
Clairwil
Aftermath Analysis : Republicans - who do you blame most for the loss?
November 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Republicans - who do you blame most for the loss?    Order the following from BIGGEST INFLUENCE to LEAST INFLUENCE:

eg:

BIGGEST INFLUENCE

• The last minute improved job figures
  • Sandy
  • Chris Christie
  • Third party voters and "Jesus" write ins
  • The religious wing
  • The 1% wing
  • The leaked 47% recording
  • Biased media
  • Fraudulent voting
  • The perception of there being a war on women
  • The debates
  • Romney
  • Ryan
  • Not enough money to get the message over
  • It was the electorate's fault for being blind or greedy
  • Fate or Predestination
  • Satan's will
  • God's will
  • President Obama did well
  • Bush
  • The economic crisis under Bush (eg bankers/homeowners/etc)
  • Immigrants
  • Homosexuals
  • The campaign tacticians who decided how to divide Romney's warchest
  • Particular policies in the platform (please specify)
  • Poor communication

LEAST INFLUENCE

Replies

• Clairwil
    November 7, 2012 at 4:02 AM
    Quoting JavaMom2one:

Let me just say that I found the majority on that list to be irrelevant in my own personal opinion.

So for you, the main cause was young voters being fooled by scare tactics over women's issues?

For you, the only thing you'd change about the campaign is what?  Spending more money on communicating the Republican position on women's issues?  Maintaining better control over statements made by congressmen about abortion and rape?  Changing the party platform accepted at the convention?

• JavaMom2one
    November 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Actually, I used the tactic regarding women's rights as part of the issue.  But my main feelings were the below, as I stated in this quote from my original post....

"So while I sort of select women's right issues as a key factor in the outcome of this election, I actually think it's more due to the less experienced voter who actually believed bogus scare tactics that have been used in so many elections prior."

Bogus scare tactics are used to divert people away from the real issues.  And I feel many inexperienced voters fell for the many scare tactics used in this election.

And to show the stats on the "young voter" this election I found the below...

"Voters from ages 18 to 29 represented 19 percent of all those who voted on Tuesday, according to the early National Exit Poll conducted by Edison Research. That's an increase of one percentage point from 2008. Obama captured 60 percent youth vote, compared with Mitt Romney's 36 percent." ------ Source Link:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/07/youth-vote-2012-turnout-exit-polls_n_2086092.html

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting JavaMom2one:

Let me just say that I found the majority on that list to be irrelevant in my own personal opinion.

So for you, the main cause was young voters being fooled by scare tactics over women's issues?

For you, the only thing you'd change about the campaign is what?  Spending more money on communicating the Republican position on women's issues?  Maintaining better control over statements made by congressmen about abortion and rape?  Changing the party platform accepted at the convention?

• romalove
    November 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    I am a registered Republican who voted third party. The answer is the party shifted too far right, demanding a religious bent, and extreme social conservatism. They made no effort to keep people like me, who are fiscally conservative and socially more liberal and they made no effort to woo independents. They cannot win until they moderate.
  • 4kidz916
    November 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

First on my list is that it took too long for republicans to rally behind Romney.  

Second is the scare tactics from the left that were believed by so many vulnerable voters that took them at face value and didn't research the facts.   Dirty, dirty politics. 

Third on my list would be campaigning mistakes.  

• TurboMom81
    November 7, 2012 at 7:52 AM

I am a Republican but I voted Demacrat so I guess I don't count! LOL

• SlightlyPerfect
    November 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM

They blame all the people who voted Democrat.

• SlightlyPerfect
    November 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Yes! Great point about Romney not being relatable. It makes sense when you look at the election as a whole and how the status quo was maintained. If people wanted real change and President Obama, they would have changed the House, right?

Even with the economy at the forefront of the election, Obama still won. Your opinion has a lot of merit.

Quoting mom2twinboyz:

Honestly I blame the party as a whole for not getting on message from the beginning and backing a candidate 100%. Romney was not most people's first choice. Nominating him was a mistake. There was a reason he didn't get the nod last time. Why I don't know. Just not likable enough I guess or people didn't dislike obama enough.

• kris0921
    November 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    I really dont blame anyone for the loss. It was really close. If I was to put the blame somewhere it would be on Americans not being more informed. But as an American I will stand behind him and give him another chance. Whats done is done.
  • SlightlyPerfect
    November 7, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Do you think Romney's Mormonism factored in for you? I know it did for me, and it probably did for a lot of other fiscal conservatives. (Not to mention his taxes and those stupid gaffes.)

Another mom on here talked about Romney's relatability. I think I, as a Libertarian, could have seen past that religious gunk if he would have been stronger in other areas. But he was just weak. He's a good businessman, he makes people money, but I just couldn't see him as a president. Not that Obama is the quintessential president or anything, but I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

I think that "war on women" had some merit to it, too. I think some Republicans were too quick to dismiss the Republican platform on what's been called "women's issues" in favor of "more pressing issues." But if your social platform involves the criminalization of abortion, and then you have morons talking out of their asses about rape and God, well, I don't see a much more pressing issue than that. I think that was evidenced in Akin and Mourdock losing.

Quoting romalove:

I am a registered Republican who voted third party. The answer is the party shifted too far right, demanding a religious bent, and extreme social conservatism. They made no effort to keep people like me, who are fiscally conservative and socially more liberal and they made no effort to woo independents. They cannot win until they moderate.

• SlightlyPerfect
    November 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I live in a somewhat rural area, and some of the people I ended up conversing with after voting basically said they didn't really research or even pay attention to the ads. They either voted a straight ticket or just randomly selected names. So I agree with what you're saying to an extent. You'll always have that demographic.

I'm still blown away by the fact that they re-elected Obama but kept the status quo in the Senate and House.

Quoting kris0921:

I really dont blame anyone for the loss. It was really close. If I was to put the blame somewhere it would be on Americans not being more informed. But as an American I will stand behind him and give him another chance. Whats done is done.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN