News & Politics

Featured Posts
Meadowchik
Vice President Biden Laughing
October 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Although I do think the VP debate was very close to a draw, much of that is Biden's demeanor, which IMO really damaged his credibility. The GOP wasted no time highlighting it:

Now of course Biden was doing his "that's malarky stuff" laugh as a way to laugh off Ryan, but I found it grating and unbecoming after the first time. The thought that comes to me is, "This is a seasoned, mature politician with much more years under his belt, this is the Vice President. Is this really how he presents himself after all that?" While Ryan was articulate, he lacked gravitas and a bold manner, yet that is something he can grow into as a VP.

If Biden had reflected the respect due to his office, he would have won, IMO. Yet his manner, something we have little to no reason to expect him to change, was found wanting.

Replies

• imamomzilla
    October 12, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I thought his sneers were very rude. The only thing missing on the Court Jester   Krusty the Clown was a red nose. The laughing was so inappropriate.

Clearly, Ryan was the adult in room.

• garnet83
    October 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I kept thinking about the cheshire cat from alice in wonderland. if biden were to have had any good points, imo, they would have been lost in his behavior.

• rocketracer
    October 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM

If a wise man has an argument with a foolish man, the fool only rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

• imamomzilla
    October 12, 2012 at 9:40 AM

There's a meme for that! You beat me to it. :-)

Quoting rocketracer:

If a wise man has an argument with a foolish man, the fool only rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

• Dimples303
    October 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    I find it terrifying that Biden is VP... He is a joke and clearly can't hold a mature debate or conversation. It was incredibly annoying that Ryan couldn't finish a sentence because Biden was acting like a clown.
  • Mandi1215
    October 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM

"If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet." Proverbs 29:9

I agree with everything you just said. 

• JakeandEmmasMom
    October 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I agree, Meadow, that it was basically a draw.  I also agree that Biden went overboard with the laughing. 

However, I think he did a good job with pressing Ryan and not backing down, highlighting that Romney has more of an idea of what he would like to do, but not any real specifics.  "We'll work together once we get to Washington to hammer out the specifics (paraphrasing)" isn't a very satisfactory answer when you consider the gridlock that has been Washington the last several years.  It makes it sound like their promises are somewhat hollow.

• JonJon
    by JonJon
    October 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM

The Vice-President deftly disarmed the usually cocky, arrogant Ryan by laughing in his face!  That Biden is debate-savy!  It worked, too, because Ryan's face was red from embarrassment almost the whole time and his throat was so dry he drank half a pitcher of water. At one point, Ryan's eyes got watery; I thought he was going to cry

You shouldn't be advocating the Vice-Presidency as on-the-job training for Ryan.  Let's stay with the well-seasoned political veteran who has know "Bibi" Netanyahu for 39 years.

• tooptimistic
    October 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

The laughing was rude to the viewers and the American people.  It looks like the VP could show show some self respect and control himself!!  How can anyone take that cackling hyena seriously?  Was he drunk or high??  My DH wondered if he hadn't spent a little too much time at the bar durning happy hour before the debate.

• Meadowchik
    October 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Ryan did quite well explaining that the current path is untenable, that essentially the current plan is not working, that the current sluggish "recovery" is inadequate, and that Obama's proposals are inadequate.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I agree, Meadow, that it was basically a draw.  I also agree that Biden went overboard with the laughing. 

However, I think he did a good job with pressing Ryan and not backing down, highlighting that Romney has more of an idea of what he would like to do, but not any real specifics.  "We'll work together once we get to Washington to hammer out the specifics (paraphrasing)" isn't a very satisfactory answer when you consider the gridlock that has been Washington the last several years.  It makes it sound like their promises are somewhat hollow.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts