News & Politics

Featured Posts
Meadowchik
Vice President Biden Laughing
October 12, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Although I do think the VP debate was very close to a draw, much of that is Biden's demeanor, which IMO really damaged his credibility. The GOP wasted no time highlighting it:

Now of course Biden was doing his "that's malarky stuff" laugh as a way to laugh off Ryan, but I found it grating and unbecoming after the first time. The thought that comes to me is, "This is a seasoned, mature politician with much more years under his belt, this is the Vice President. Is this really how he presents himself after all that?" While Ryan was articulate, he lacked gravitas and a bold manner, yet that is something he can grow into as a VP.

If Biden had reflected the respect due to his office, he would have won, IMO. Yet his manner, something we have little to no reason to expect him to change, was found wanting.

Replies

• JonJon
    by JonJon
    October 18, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Again, whenever I see something happening that's not usual, I figure it's deliberate.  Joe Biden's behavior was so vastly  different from the President's that it just had to be calculated.  The personalities of Romney and Ryan were studied and the best way to put each off his game applied with masterful accuracy. 

The President came on subdued the first debate to lull Romney into a false sense of security/superiority then lowered the boom during the second debate.  That's called the rope-a-dope. 

Ryan is young, beautiful and impressed with himself.  He believes he is smooth and suave. He takes himself very seriously so all Biden had to do was to scoff, challenge Ryan's sense of self, and appear to find him ridiculous and Ryan wilted and withered.  Ryan's change in demeanor was palpable.  Romney's change was noticeable, too, which confirms both Biden and Obama deftly did their jobs to unhinge their opponents.

If you have so many relatives with bipolar as to believe you can recognize the behavior in strangers over the airwaves you, yourself have a better than average chance of being bipolar and in denial of it. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, I don't usually make video of news, only movies, or drama or comedy TV series. Don't want to go overboard on news!! :) Biden's affect and behavior were definitely off, were not normal.  I wondered at the time, and wonder now, if Biden may have been manic or hypomanic during the debate. I have family members with bipolar disorder, so I know what it's like, especially when the pressure is high. I think it's worth considerating - Obviously a psychiatrist would have to make the diagnosis. It's not that unusual - About 5% of Americans have it. Biden seemed to me to exhibit a number of manic symptoms during the debate: (see URL below):

Abnormally elevated or grandiose mood

Pressured speech

Abnormal irritability

Easily excited to enthusiasm, anger, agitation or another emotion

Inappropriate humor and behaviors

Flight of ideas

Racing thoughts

http://bipolar.about.com/od/maniahypomani1/a/mania.htm 

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

A psychiatrist guest on a news show the day following the VP debate said if he saw a potential patient acting like Biden, he as a psychiatrist would want to examine him for possible early signs of dementia - and he was serious. He said with early dementia, you can still have good memory. He mentioned Biden's affect being way off, emotionally appearing abnormal for the average person or someone in his position, and disturbing behavior. To me, not a psychiatrist, it seemed like a possible mood disorder or other mental health problem. Or meds? I don't know, but something was off.

Really?  Was the news show on Fox?  Can you produce video?  I'd truly like to see it.

I saw something online about Mitt Romney's mental health:

Mitt Romney's Psychiatric Symptoms

By (about the author)     Permalink

opednews.com

I watched Mitt Romney give a speech at a rally and he spoke about the four dead in Bengazi. His facial expressions were bizarre and inappropriate. He said that the ambassador was "wonderful," then paused, looking for another, better word. He couldn't think of one, so he said it again, vacuously, "wonderful." Then, he smiled in a strange, even more inappropriate way, making a remark about a moment of silence that he didn't invoke. 

Then, there's the way he keeps revising the truth, changing the narrative in distorted, dishonest way. 

The first symptom-- inappropriate affect-- reminded me of when I worked as part of an emergency psychiatry team. Inappropriate affect was a common symptom of mental illness-- psychosis that would warrant involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. 

That got me thinking. Another symptom was "confabulation" delusional ways of seeing. Freedictionary.com defines confabulation as:
    "to fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts."

Now, I don't think Romney needs to be hospitalized involuntarily, but these symptoms do add to the concern I have when I think about Mitt Romney as president.

BTW, there IS another psychiatric category where you see inappropriate affect of a different sort-- sociopath, also called psychopath. 
    Link:  http://www.opednews.com/articles/Mitt-Romney-s-Psychiatric-by-Rob-Kall-120913-964.html

• Meadowchik
    October 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM

If Obama-Biden were intentionally playing the rope-a-dope with the first two debates, then it was extremely badly calculated.  Do you seriously believe that Obama would risk the results of a poor debate performance just to depend on getting the pay-off in a Veep debate?  Seriously, JonJon.

Obama screwed up.  Most likely it was because of the effect many POTUSs experience being insulated by an entourage and not so publically and directly challenged in person.  Add to that, Obama's campaign momentum seems to rely on a caricature of Romney as some evil-rich-guy, which was strongly contradicted by Romney at the debate.

Quoting JonJon:

Again, whenever I see something happening that's not usual, I figure it's deliberate.  Joe Biden's behavior was so vastly  different from the President's that it just had to be calculated.  The personalities of Romney and Ryan were studied and the best way to put each off his game applied with masterful accuracy. 

The President came on subdued the first debate to lull Romney into a false sense of security/superiority then lowered the boom during the second debate.  That's called the rope-a-dope. 

Ryan is young, beautiful and impressed with himself.  He believes he is smooth and suave. He takes himself very seriously so all Biden had to do was to scoff, challenge Ryan's sense of self, and appear to find him ridiculous and Ryan wilted and withered.  Ryan's change in demeanor was palpable.  Romney's change was noticeable, too, which confirms both Biden and Obama deftly did their jobs to unhinge their opponents.

If you have so many relatives with bipolar as to believe you can recognize the behavior in strangers over the airwaves you, yourself have a better than average chance of being bipolar and in denial of it. 

Quoting SallyMJ:

Sorry, I don't usually make video of news, only movies, or drama or comedy TV series. Don't want to go overboard on news!! :) Biden's affect and behavior were definitely off, were not normal.  I wondered at the time, and wonder now, if Biden may have been manic or hypomanic during the debate. I have family members with bipolar disorder, so I know what it's like, especially when the pressure is high. I think it's worth considerating - Obviously a psychiatrist would have to make the diagnosis. It's not that unusual - About 5% of Americans have it. Biden seemed to me to exhibit a number of manic symptoms during the debate: (see URL below):

Abnormally elevated or grandiose mood

Pressured speech

Abnormal irritability

Easily excited to enthusiasm, anger, agitation or another emotion

Inappropriate humor and behaviors

Flight of ideas

Racing thoughts

http://bipolar.about.com/od/maniahypomani1/a/mania.htm 

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting SallyMJ:

A psychiatrist guest on a news show the day following the VP debate said if he saw a potential patient acting like Biden, he as a psychiatrist would want to examine him for possible early signs of dementia - and he was serious. He said with early dementia, you can still have good memory. He mentioned Biden's affect being way off, emotionally appearing abnormal for the average person or someone in his position, and disturbing behavior. To me, not a psychiatrist, it seemed like a possible mood disorder or other mental health problem. Or meds? I don't know, but something was off.

Really?  Was the news show on Fox?  Can you produce video?  I'd truly like to see it.

I saw something online about Mitt Romney's mental health:

Mitt Romney's Psychiatric Symptoms

By (about the author)     Permalink

opednews.com

I watched Mitt Romney give a speech at a rally and he spoke about the four dead in Bengazi. His facial expressions were bizarre and inappropriate. He said that the ambassador was "wonderful," then paused, looking for another, better word. He couldn't think of one, so he said it again, vacuously, "wonderful." Then, he smiled in a strange, even more inappropriate way, making a remark about a moment of silence that he didn't invoke. 

Then, there's the way he keeps revising the truth, changing the narrative in distorted, dishonest way. 

The first symptom-- inappropriate affect-- reminded me of when I worked as part of an emergency psychiatry team. Inappropriate affect was a common symptom of mental illness-- psychosis that would warrant involuntary psychiatric hospitalization. 

That got me thinking. Another symptom was "confabulation" delusional ways of seeing. Freedictionary.com defines confabulation as:
    "to fill in gaps in one's memory with fabrications that one believes to be facts."

Now, I don't think Romney needs to be hospitalized involuntarily, but these symptoms do add to the concern I have when I think about Mitt Romney as president.

BTW, there IS another psychiatric category where you see inappropriate affect of a different sort-- sociopath, also called psychopath. 
    Link:  http://www.opednews.com/articles/Mitt-Romney-s-Psychiatric-by-Rob-Kall-120913-964.html

• funnymommy71
    October 18, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Quoting JonJon:

You attacked MY post and ME as fake and insulting???!!!!  I am so glad that you seem to think you have my entire LIFE and agenda nailed down!!!!   How dare you .... all the assumptions and paranoia.   I am NOW a Republican in disguise and posing as an Independent on THESE sites trying to get votes for Romney OMG...., seriously!!!!   What will be next....... that I am a  raging Fascist??   Also - YOU say that YOU are  ok with letting a woman change her mind as her perogative, WHO is this woman? Certainly not ME!!!   Hypocrit.

Quoting funnymommy71:

READ the whole post.  

Your erroneous conclusion is that I didn't, despite the fact I demonstrated I did. 

I WAS a democrat (registered) and voted Obama/ Biden in 2008.  Due to the ineptness of the Democtratic party as a whole- I am NOW a registered Independent- the Republicans are way to far the the right for me.  

I saw a caption in a cartoon today of two dogs in front of a computer that read, "Online, no one knows you're a dog."  I'd like to paraphrase and write, "Online, no one knows you're a Republican pretending to be an ex-Democrat turned Independent saying you hate Obama so people will get the idea to vote independent and split the vote, giving Romney a better chance of sneaking in the back door of the White House." 

Last time I checked, you can change affiliations AND your mind on about this Change is going.

I've always respected a woman's prerogative to change her mind.

4 years into this is not too quick to jump ship on giving up on the Democrats or this administration.

That's mighty fickle of a supposed lifetime Democrat but hey, you have a right to be wrong. 

Fake and insulting.........I find Biden's behavior fake and insulting.  

Some people have no Spidey-sense. 

And apparently you are SOOOO on the defensive to BASH me and how I perceived this debate.

Actually, I'm bashing what I believe is a deliberate misrepresentation of your past "alliance" to the Democrats. 

Why so defensive and nasty? 

I don't consider myself nasty nor defensive.   

Pls next time, read posts and show some class.

Heh.  Class this

Quoting JonJon:

Unlike private joker, I find your reply fake and insulting.  You believe it's that easy to come in here and say anything and we'll swallow it whole.  You contradict yourself a few times on of those times being when you say you are a Democrat, then you say you are an independent. 

For someone who says she's a Demoncrat and has liked Biden since before he was VP, you jumped ship pretty easily and pretty readily; I don't believe anything you wrote about having ever voted Democrat because no Democrat would risk Romney/Ryan.  They are not made of the right stuff and every sentient being on the planet, including honest Republicans, know it.

Quoting funnymommy71:

"Well seasoned veteran".. and debate savvy?  I know high school and law school debaters who were clearly upset by his demeanor (that act more maturely than do) watching this.   Look, I voted Obama/Biden in 2008.   I LIKED Biden, I really did even before he was picked as VP, knew he was brassy and hard lined.  BUT, This is potential PRESIDENTIAL behavior in the only VP debate?  COCKY, brazen and quite honestly BACK- PEDALLING as hard as he had to to dig out Obama's Epic fail....... I am an Independent- former Democrat and I am SO embarrassed and disgusted in his antics.  He came off as an ass, period.  I could not care less what came out of his mouth, because his Cheshire cat grin and constant laughter fouled it all.  This is their strategy to win another election? I really don't think any of our problems are laughable and showed disgrace. HE  lost this Independent and SOOO many of us I know of. P.S. Don't buy the Ryan was going to cry, he was just as upset as millions others were in Biden's 3 year old behavior. My 4 year old daughter pulls this stuff.  If Ryan reacted as Biden, the media would be all over him as a nut job- Ryan was clearly trying to be the adult though 28 years his junior.  How would you REACT to this kind of crap as a Mom.  Can't give Biden a time out- though he clearly needs a permanent one.  Not real crazy about Romney either, but he was a thousand times better than the seasoned Biden in his debate.  LOVED Me some Ron Paul that threw all the Corporate whore's under the bus in his debates!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I did not touch the many issues addressed in debate as off topic here, as this was clearly about Biden's behavior only.  

Ron Paul- not forgotten........ never was bought out as a WHORE as the other 4.  Pass it on.  3 party system.........a dream

Quoting JonJon:

The Vice-President deftly disarmed the usually cocky, arrogant Ryan by laughing in his face!  That Biden is debate-savy!  It worked, too, because Ryan's face was red from embarrassment almost the whole time and his throat was so dry he drank half a pitcher of water. At one point, Ryan's eyes got watery; I thought he was going to cry

You shouldn't be advocating the Vice-Presidency as on-the-job training for Ryan.  Let's stay with the well-seasoned political veteran who has know "Bibi" Netanyahu for 39 years.

• JonJon
    by JonJon
    October 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Sometimes being online sucks donkey balls, doesn't it? 

All we can do is say stuff about ourselves and hope people believe it.  One time I told someone that based on the way she wrote it was hard to believe she held a degree in psychology.  She took a lovely pic of it and proved me wrong but what pic can you take to prove you once was a Democrat and now are an independent?  You just have to live with my doubt.  We all have to live with something.

Big ol' hairy donkey balls.

Quoting funnymommy71:

Quoting JonJon:

You attacked MY post and ME as fake and insulting???!!!!  I am so glad that you seem to think you have my entire LIFE and agenda nailed down!!!!   How dare you .... all the assumptions and paranoia.   I am NOW a Republican in disguise and posing as an Independent on THESE sites trying to get votes for Romney OMG...., seriously!!!!   What will be next....... that I am a  raging Fascist??   Also - YOU say that YOU are  ok with letting a woman change her mind as her perogative, WHO is this woman? Certainly not ME!!!   Hypocrit.

Quoting funnymommy71:

READ the whole post.  

Your erroneous conclusion is that I didn't, despite the fact I demonstrated I did. 

I WAS a democrat (registered) and voted Obama/ Biden in 2008.  Due to the ineptness of the Democtratic party as a whole- I am NOW a registered Independent- the Republicans are way to far the the right for me.  

I saw a caption in a cartoon today of two dogs in front of a computer that read, "Online, no one knows you're a dog."  I'd like to paraphrase and write, "Online, no one knows you're a Republican pretending to be an ex-Democrat turned Independent saying you hate Obama so people will get the idea to vote independent and split the vote, giving Romney a better chance of sneaking in the back door of the White House." 

Last time I checked, you can change affiliations AND your mind on about this Change is going.

4 years into this is not too quick to jump ship on giving up on the Democrats or this administration.

That's mighty fickle of a supposed lifetime Democrat but hey, you have a right to be wrong. 

And apparently you are SOOOO on the defensive to BASH me and how I perceived this debate.

Actually, I'm bashing what I believe is a deliberate misrepresentation of your past "alliance" to the Democrats. 

Heh.  Class this

Quoting JonJon:

Unlike private joker, I find your reply fake and insulting.  You believe it's that easy to come in here and say anything and we'll swallow it whole.  You contradict yourself a few times on of those times being when you say you are a Democrat, then you say you are an independent. 

For someone who says she's a Demoncrat and has liked Biden since before he was VP, you jumped ship pretty easily and pretty readily; I don't believe anything you wrote about having ever voted Democrat because no Democrat would risk Romney/Ryan.  They are not made of the right stuff and every sentient being on the planet, including honest Republicans, know it.

Quoting funnymommy71:

"Well seasoned veteran".. and debate savvy?  I know high school and law school debaters who were clearly upset by his demeanor (that act more maturely than do) watching this.   Look, I voted Obama/Biden in 2008.   I LIKED Biden, I really did even before he was picked as VP, knew he was brassy and hard lined.  BUT, This is potential PRESIDENTIAL behavior in the only VP debate?  COCKY, brazen and quite honestly BACK- PEDALLING as hard as he had to to dig out Obama's Epic fail....... I am an Independent- former Democrat and I am SO embarrassed and disgusted in his antics.  He came off as an ass, period.  I could not care less what came out of his mouth, because his Cheshire cat grin and constant laughter fouled it all.  This is their strategy to win another election? I really don't think any of our problems are laughable and showed disgrace. HE  lost this Independent and SOOO many of us I know of. P.S. Don't buy the Ryan was going to cry, he was just as upset as millions others were in Biden's 3 year old behavior. My 4 year old daughter pulls this stuff.  If Ryan reacted as Biden, the media would be all over him as a nut job- Ryan was clearly trying to be the adult though 28 years his junior.  How would you REACT to this kind of crap as a Mom.  Can't give Biden a time out- though he clearly needs a permanent one.  Not real crazy about Romney either, but he was a thousand times better than the seasoned Biden in his debate.  LOVED Me some Ron Paul that threw all the Corporate whore's under the bus in his debates!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I did not touch the many issues addressed in debate as off topic here, as this was clearly about Biden's behavior only.  

Ron Paul- not forgotten........ never was bought out as a WHORE as the other 4.  Pass it on.  3 party system.........a dream

Quoting JonJon:

The Vice-President deftly disarmed the usually cocky, arrogant Ryan by laughing in his face!  That Biden is debate-savy!  It worked, too, because Ryan's face was red from embarrassment almost the whole time and his throat was so dry he drank half a pitcher of water. At one point, Ryan's eyes got watery; I thought he was going to cry

You shouldn't be advocating the Vice-Presidency as on-the-job training for Ryan.  Let's stay with the well-seasoned political veteran who has know "Bibi" Netanyahu for 39 years.

• funnymommy71
    October 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Quoting JonJon:
    I seriously have NO REASON to convince you of anything about me.  Trust me.... I sleep at night knowing you doubt me.  I could not care less and apparently, this is your problem not mine. 

Sometimes being online sucks donkey balls, doesn't it? 

All we can do is say stuff about ourselves and hope people believe it.  One time I told someone that based on the way she wrote it was hard to believe she held a degree in psychology.  She took a lovely pic of it and proved me wrong but what pic can you take to prove you once was a Democrat and now are an independent?  You just have to live with my doubt.  We all have to live with something.

Big ol' hairy donkey balls.

Quoting funnymommy71:

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting funnymommy71:

READ the whole post.  

Heh.  Class this

Quoting JonJon:

Quoting funnymommy71:

Quoting JonJon:

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts