News & Politics

Featured Posts
bellawomen
Romney says abortion legislation is not part of his agenda now
October 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Mitt Romney today said no abortion legislation is part of his agenda, but he would prohibit federally-funded international nonprofits from providing abortions in other countries.

“There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda,” the GOP presidential candidate told The Des Moines Register’s editorial board during a meeting today before his campaign rally at a Van Meter farm.

But by executive order, not by legislation, he would reinstate the so-called Mexico City policy that bans U.S. foreign aid dollars from being used to do abortions, he said.

President Barack Obama dropped the policy on his tenth day in office, Romney said.

Romney has said he opposes abortion, except in instances of rape, incest and when the mother’s life is threatened.

The Obama campaign quickly seized on Romney’s abortion comments Tuesday, sending out a news release accusing Romney of contradicting himself because he has said he would appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn Roe v. Wade.

Obama’s Iowa spokeswoman, Erin Seidler argued that Romney contradicted himself because has said he supports the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions.

However, the Hyde Amendment is already part of current law. And Romney has said he would appoint justices who are not activist judges.

Romney aides rejected the idea that he contradicted himself.

Spokeswoman Andrea Saul said: “Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life and will be a pro-life president.”

(link)

Replies

• Jambo4
    by Jambo4
    October 10, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Of course not... it was never an important component of what he was running on.. the whole "war on women" was something the ORDC (Obama re-election Deflection committee) was trying to push.  (use Obama ads at CM as an example)

His agenda HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE ECONOMY!

• erika9009
    October 10, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Good, He needs to concentrate on the economy. 

All this birth control and abortion talk was a distraction used by the Dems to not focus on the poor economy.

• DixieL
    by DixieL
    October 10, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Romney is flip flopping, trying to get the women's vote. Then he will go back to what he really believes.

• itsmesteph11
    October 10, 2012 at 4:17 PM

So your beef is that he has decided not to try and have abortion outlawed?  I'm sure libs will find enough to bitch about without this on the table.  He has always stated he was pro life and I'm glad he isn't making it an issue right now. We have many, many other and more important things to wrestle with right now.

• brandydesiree
    October 10, 2012 at 4:33 PM
    He isn't worried about abortions at a time like this. All of your social issues don't mean much if the bottom falls out of the economy....
  • SlightlyPerfect
    October 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM

It's not like the president can really effect change re: abortion law anyway.

• Sisteract
    October 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

NOW is the operative word when it comes to Mitt.

28 days, it might change. Depends on how he's polling with women voters in OH-

• bellawomen
    October 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    I am pro-life, but not a Mitt or Obama supporter. I hate the flip flopping an merely pointing out more Mitt flopping. I also won't be voting solely for economic reasons.
  • Meadowchik
    October 11, 2012 at 4:05 AM

It's another weak attempt to fabricate a "flipflop."

• _Kissy_
    by _Kissy_
    October 11, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    He flip flops so fast well have to measure it in RPM's

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts