News & Politics

Featured Posts
gsprofval
Another Obama Stimulus Fail: Sesame Street received $1 mil stimulus bill grant – created “1.47″ jobs
October 9, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Sesame Street received $1 mil stimulus bill grant – created “1.47″ jobs

October 8, 2012 | 2:36 pm 
51Comments

This grant was brought to you by the letters “A” and “R” — as in American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, aka the “stimulus bill.”

Sesame Workshop, the independent nonprofit corporation that produces the popular childrens’ program Sesame Street, received a $1,067,532 stimulus bill grant in August 2010, via the Department of Health and Human Services.

The funding was to promote healthy eating according to the federal Recovery.gov website:

SW [i.e., Sesame Workshop] will carry out an expansion of its highly successful Healthy Habits for Life initiative, which promotes improved nutrition and increased physical activity, targeting low-income preschool-aged children and their families and care providers.

The projected created “1.47″ new jobs, the website reported. How they could calculate this to a hundredth of a percent is anybody’s guess. In any event, that comes out to about $726,000 per job created.

The money is separate from the funds Sesame Workshop receives from the federally-funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting to run the Sesame Street program on PBS stations.

The Recovery Act website lists the healthy eating project as more than 50 percent completed though most of the grant money appears to have been drawn.

Sesame Street has been in the news lately ever since Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said  last week that he would like to cut the funding PBS even though he likes Big Bird, a popular character on the show. The statement prompted a public comment from PBScriticizing Romney.

Replies

• Ednarooni160
    Eds
    October 9, 2012 at 3:43 PM

But of course..but we couldn't afford security to the ambassador who requested it.. SOMEONE needs to go over the "priority" list for the country "again".and "again"..and "again"..(smh).   P.S. I think big bird might be laundering money like those other stimulus recipients..just saying.  $726,000 per job created..seriously?

• broncfan
    October 9, 2012 at 3:50 PM

WILL SOME BO SUPPORTER, SOME DEMOCRAT PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS CAN BE JUSTIFIED?  I mean really folks, when is enough going to be enough?  This is the kind of leadership and stewardship of our tax dollars we have with this president.  He has to go.

Please somebody that supports Obama, tell me why this is OK?  I mean even in everyday spending it would be wrong but in a stimulus bill that is suppose to create jobs it is criminal, IMO.

• gsprofval
    October 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This exactly:

Quoting broncfan:

WILL SOME BO SUPPORTER, SOME DEMOCRAT PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME HOW THIS CAN BE JUSTIFIED?  I mean really folks, when is enough going to be enough?  This is the kind of leadership and stewardship of our tax dollars we have with this president.  He has to go.

Please somebody that supports Obama, tell me why this is OK?  I mean even in everyday spending it would be wrong but in a stimulus bill that is suppose to create jobs it is criminal, IMO.

• Kate_Momof3
    October 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I'm not going to defend it, but if you honestly think spending like this won't happen under Romney, you are so sorely mistaken.

Quoting broncfan:

• broncfan
    October 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I'm not going to defend it, but if you honestly think spending like this won't happen under Romney, you are so sorely mistaken.

Quoting broncfan:

And if it does I will be here screaming about it also.  This is so wrong.  People needing jobs, children hungry people needing health care and this happens in BO's stimulus.  Disgraceful and unforgivable.

• Kate_Momof3
    October 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I'm just not going to jump on the outrage bandwagon when literally billions, rather than a million, of dollars have been given to major companies who have outsourced jobs. 

This is manufactured outrage, imo. You seem to be a very reasonable person, please focus your energy and outrage for what is real. This stuff? This is just another example of one of literally thousands of ways our government spends our money under the guise of job creation.

I don't have the time to verify this article or put it into context, but I'm skeptical of the source. I'll try to research more when I have a chance.

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting broncfan:

And if it does I will be here screaming about it also.  This is so wrong.  People needing jobs, children hungry people needing health care and this happens in BO's stimulus.  Disgraceful and unforgivable.

• broncfan
    October 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I'm just not going to jump on the outrage bandwagon when literally billions, rather than a million, of dollars have been given to major companies who have outsourced jobs. 

This is manufactured outrage, imo. You seem to be a very reasonable person, please focus your energy and outrage for what is real. This stuff? This is just another example of one of literally thousands of ways our government spends our money under the guise of job creation.

I don't have the time to verify this article or put it into context, but I'm skeptical of the source. I'll try to research more when I have a chance.

Quoting broncfan:

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Quoting broncfan:

I do realize that trillions of dollars have been wasted by both parties.  PBS is a real sore spot for me.  Our business deal with licence agreements and I know how much money is made by PBS/SS it is in the billions. Government money is not needed at PBS. Every pacifier, diaper bag, t-shirt that you see any of the SS figures on makes money for PBS, just try to go into any store from the local dollar store or gas station to Neiman Marcus and you will see something they are making money from.

I am a strong believer in watching your dimes so you don't worry about your dollars. Our federal government is the worse in the entire world about not caring.  I went on a tangent a few years ago against a Republican Congressman that got a earmark to install doorbells in section 8 housing in my Mom's home county.  $472,000 for doorbells and 2 jobs, so I am not just "after" the democrats.

I do think the stimulus is different, it was sold to us as one thing and turned out to be crap like this.  That is my beef, the trustworthiness of this president.  Just because it always has been done does not make it right and I can not say it will not be done by the next guy, but I do believe that Romney will curb some of this stuff.

What was spent here could have built a new Head Start center in my county, the one they have now is terrible, not only would it have helped 1000's of kids over the years it would have produced a heck of lot more jobs than 1.4.  This is why the power needs to be turned over to the states, the federal government is not to be trusted.

• broncfan
    October 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM

You know.....I was thinking.....I wish more people would get outraged at things they see that they know are not right.  As long as we sit and say "that is just the way it is"  or "what can I do"  nothing is ever going to get done.

Just because it has always been does not make it any better.

• SallyMJ
    by SallyMJ
    October 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Wow, great paying publicly-funded jobs. Even the 0.47 job - I wonder if that person is considered employed, because they only have a part-time job. I'm surprised in that I think PBS would try to create as many full-time jobs as possible, because they care so much about people. Or are they holding back, to see the impact of Obamacare on the company finances? 

• 29again
    by 29again
    October 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

This much money for such dismal results is outrageous, but it is what has happened with most of the stimulous dollars.  I am upset about that, but I am even more concerned with the statement from the gov website:

SW [i.e., Sesame Workshop] will carry out an expansion of its highly successful Healthy Habits for Life initiative, which promotes improved nutrition and increased physical activity, targeting low-income preschool-aged children and their families and care providers.

Evidently the gov't thinks that only low-income families watch Sesame Street.  And for goodness sake, why is it so important to target preschool children's shows with "healthy eating" when a preschooler makes almost no decision about what they eat.  They are targeting the wrong audience.  FTR, none of my kids watched SS, and there is not a veggie they don't like.  So, I'm not sure how that happened, since Big Bird and Elmo didn't tell them to eat healthy. 

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts