News & Politics

Featured Posts
nanaofsix531
Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing,' In New Book
October 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Jon Hubbard, Arkansas Legislator, Says Slavery May 'Have Been A Blessing,' In New Book

The Huffington Post  |  By  Posted:  Updated: 10/05/2012 5:06 pm EDT

Jon Hubbard Arkanas
Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard has written a new book.

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

Hubbard, a first term Republican from Jonesboro, Ark., penned a series of racially charged statements in the book, including saying that integration of schools is hurting white students, that African slaves had better lives under slavery than in Africa, that blacks are not contributing to society, and that a situation is developing the United States which is similar to that of Nazi Germany.

The questionable statements in Hubbard's self-published book, "Letters to the Editor: Confessions of a Frustrated Conservative," were first reported by Arkansas Times and TalkBusiness.net.

Regarding slavery, Hubbard wrote:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

On the subject of school integration, Hubbard described black students as having a "a lack of discipline and ambition," which he said has hurt the entire educational system.

Hubbard also tackled immigration and said that Christians in America are in a similar position to that of Germans during Hitler's rise to power.

... the immigration issue, both legal and illegal ... will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing." (Page 9)

Hubbard declined to comment on the book when contacted by The Huffington Post, saying that he did not have time.

An Air Force veteran, Hubbard sells insurance in Arkansas and Missouri. He serves on several legislative committees, including ones dealing with issues related to aging, insurance, telecommunications, and waterways and aeronautics policy.

On his campaign website, Hubbard says he will defend Christianity as a state lawmaker.

"And perhaps the most important pledge I can make to the people of District 58, the citizens of Arkansas, and to myself, is to do whatever I can to defend, protect, and preserve our Christian heritage," Hubbard says on his website. "Regardless of one’s religious beliefs, if we as a nation continue to turn away from those Christian principles and values upon which this great nation was founded, we will have truly lost everything worth saving!"

Hubbard has a history of taking conservative stances in the Legislature. In June, he called for the University of Arkansas to be audited to see if tax money had been spent on a panel discussion about undocumented immigrants. In February, he asked the state Department of Health to implement a policy that would require birth certificates be produced by anyone seeking non-emergency medical care in a hospital in order to prove their citizenship.

Replies

• shimamab
    October 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    :( some people should never speak, write, text, blog, email, sign, mime, or otherwise communicate with any other sentient beings.
  • deepthinker
    October 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM

LOL, people like him are idiots.  Why does everyone think that people in every African country is running around naked with a plate in their lip, with flies on them, and starving.  Africa has some of the richest countries in the world. 

• SKlTTLES
    October 5, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Isn't he just trying say it's better than being in Africa? After all they were sold by their own people in Africa and brought here. Not saying at all that "slavery is a blessing" lol but I can see how this can be very easily taken out of context. 

• deepthinker
    October 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

That's just stupid.  There own people did not sell them.  Africa is an entire continent, and just because the people were black it doesn't mean they were their people.  These people came from different areas, tribes, countries, and were considered each others enemies, but they were still man fighting against man.  Once black people got to the U.S. They were never considered men or women, but livestock. There  is nothing better about not even being considered a person at all.

Quoting SKlTTLES:

Isn't he just trying say it's better than being in Africa? After all they were sold by their own people in Africa and brought here. Not saying at all that "slavery is a blessing" lol but I can see how this can be very easily taken out of context. 

• SKlTTLES
    October 6, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Calling someone stupid is stupid it's self. We basically said the same things in different ways and yes ma'am they were sold by people in their own countries. When I said that, I meant from the area they were sold from "their people" as in their peers. If someone in America sold me it would be "my people as aka my peers". I know a lot about American history and world history as I studied it in college so.......... yeah.. I'm done here lol. 

And it's not "stupid" to see the innocents in a ignorant comment. In some ways there is a truth to what he was saying. He could have said it better but slavery is over the world is a better place because it is over. The end. 

Quoting deepthinker:

That's just stupid.  There own people did not sell them.  Africa is an entire continent, and just because the people were black it doesn't mean they were their people.  These people came from different areas, tribes, countries, and were considered each others enemies, but they were still man fighting against man.  Once black people got to the U.S. They were never considered men or women, but livestock. There  is nothing better about not even being considered a person at all.

Quoting SKlTTLES:

• JakeandEmmasMom
    October 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    What a jackass.
  • AdellesMom
    October 6, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    What an idiot.
  • deepthinker
    October 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Quoting SKlTTLES:

Calling someone stupid is stupid it's self. We basically said the same things in different ways and yes ma'am they were sold by people in their own countries. When I said that, I meant from the area they were sold from "their people" as in their peers. If someone in America sold me it would be "my people as aka my peers". I know a lot about American history and world history as I studied it in college so.......... yeah.. I'm done here lol. 

And it's not "stupid" to see the innocents in a ignorant comment. In some ways there is a truth to what he was saying. He could have said it better but slavery is over the world is a better place because it is over. The end. 

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting SKlTTLES:

Sorry to point out your stupidity but that is what it is... stupidity.

slavery was not better for anybody, Being seen as animal, being shipped across an ocean like cargo among dead bodies, and human excrement, exercised on a deck like Stable horses, Finally making it to your destination, and being sold on an auction block like an inanimate object, being poked and prodded, and treated like nothing.  Going to a plantation and working from sun up to sun down, beaten, and given scraps to eat, Raped, hung, burned, whipped for trying to learn to read, do math, speak your own language, or find freedom.  Having you children, parent's, siblings, and entire family sold away from you. None of this shit is better.I don't give a flying fuck what you studied, you could have read every book in the Harvard library, you lack common sense and decency to even try and rationalize treating human beings like nothing.  

And you can save that bullshit about people selling there own people. There are over 3000 tribes of people in Africa, and even people in the same country in different parts of Africa do not mean it's their own people.  Nobody goes around and say Germans were killing their own people during the holocaust, they were killing Jewish people. They look the same, but were not the same in the eyes of those who killed them. But regardless, I don't give two fucks and feather, who sold whom... and who has been enslaved throughout history.  Slavery is not good shit for anybody, and to try and say slavery was okay because of _________ is a load of crap and you are in fact stupid.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts