News & Politics

Featured Posts
Meadowchik
In Case You Missed it, the Obama vs Romney Debate in Full, Video
October 4, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Here it is:

The next debate will be VP candidates Biden and Ryan, then back to Obama vs Romney on foreign policy for the last two.

Replies

• tnmomofive
    October 4, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Cool thanks..Gotta work but i'll keep it for later.

• MsDenuninani
    October 4, 2012 at 11:22 AM

No, please don't make me watch it again!

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

Out of curiousity, what did you think of Lehrer's performance as a moderator? I didn't hate it as much as a lot of other people did.

• Luv2BaMommy9809
    October 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

GREAT IDEA, OP!!  Thank you for sharing this... I did watch the debate, but planned on going back and re-listening!!  This quite the convenience, much appreciated!!

• AdellesMom
    October 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    I think that he wasn't a good moderator.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

Out of curiousity, what did you think of Lehrer's performance as a moderator? I didn't hate it as much as a lot of other people did.

• Luv2BaMommy9809
    October 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

You know what, I didn't hate Lehrer as much as others did, too. 

While watching, I did initially feel like, as a moderator, he could have been more forceful, BUT, in watching the debate in its entirety, he was FAIR to both candidates and whether he intended it or not, he let the candidates LEAD the debate.  In other debates, I often thought that the moderators really got in the way.  To me, Lehrer didn't last night.  We call all agree that time was well spent on the top 2 issues Americans are concerned about, and Lehrer made reference to that and said he was going to allow the discussion continue, even though they were a little behind on other questions he wanted to ask.  This is what you want to happen.  I would rather have a true and honest discussion on one or two topics for the whole 90 minutes if it gets the canditates passionate and talking in more specific terms, rather than generalities.  Both candidates were given ample time and freedom to come out swinging and I was extremely appreciative of that as the debate went on.  Lehrer couldn't have done it any other way.  If so, the candidates would have been continuously stifled and always when the seem to be getting to the good part.

I enjoyed the debate and actually could have watched them both a lot longer.  A lot was discussed in a short period of time and the freedom given for the candidates to be themselves and take advantage of that was priceless to me.  I don't get excited about debates, not because of the candidates, but because the moderators almost always piss me off and get in the way.  Lehrer made it a lively debate and, like I said, intentional or not, he went with the flow of the candidates and didn't break their stride and I think it worked out great...

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

• Meadowchik
    October 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I second the thoughts on Lehrer.

:)

Quoting Luv2BaMommy9809:

While watching, I did initially feel like, as a moderator, he could have been more forceful, BUT, in watching the debate in its entirety, he was FAIR to both candidates and whether he intended it or not, he let the candidates LEAD the debate.  In other debates, I often thought that the moderators really got in the way.  To me, Lehrer didn't last night.  We call all agree that time was well spent on the top 2 issues Americans are concerned about, and Lehrer made reference to that and said he was going to allow the discussion continue, even though they were a little behind on other questions he wanted to ask.  This is what you want to happen.  I would rather have a true and honest discussion on one or two topics for the whole 90 minutes if it gets the canditates passionate and talking in more specific terms, rather than generalities.  Both candidates were given ample time and freedom to come out swinging and I was extremely appreciative of that as the debate went on.  Lehrer couldn't have done it any other way.  If so, the candidates would have been continuously stifled and always when the seem to be getting to the good part.

I enjoyed the debate and actually could have watched them both a lot longer.  A lot was discussed in a short period of time and the freedom given for the candidates to be themselves and take advantage of that was priceless to me.  I don't get excited about debates, not because of the candidates, but because the moderators almost always piss me off and get in the way.  Lehrer made it a lively debate and, like I said, intentional or not, he went with the flow of the candidates and didn't break their stride and I think it worked out great...

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

• Ednarooni160
    Eds
    October 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Thank you for this.. I know many missed it..

• godotherightthi
    October 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I'll third!!!  The discussion was good, focused, and a REAL picture.  If the candidates were blustering or wandering in their responses, then I could see the need for a moderator to silence the candidates and move on, but this was a good discussion and a good picture of how the candidates were different...which is what Lehrer was mainly focused on.

Quoting Meadowchik:

I second the thoughts on Lehrer.

Quoting Luv2BaMommy9809:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

• Meadowchik
    October 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

(snip)

Do you have a theory of what happened with Obama?  I kinda had a feeling he was trying to play smooth and presidential looking and was taken aback by the direct challenge.  I read a pundit saying that one weakness of being POTUS is being insulated from direct challenges, which sounds plausible, so maybe Romney took him way off guard? 

I'll think we may see a different Obama next time, but I gotta admit I appreciate the reprieve from the "GOP is doomed" rhetoric.

• MsDenuninani
    October 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Kidding.  (Kinda.)

(snip)

Do you have a theory of what happened with Obama?  I kinda had a feeling he was trying to play smooth and presidential looking and was taken aback by the direct challenge.  I read a pundit saying that one weakness of being POTUS is being insulated from direct challenges, which sounds plausible, so maybe Romney took him way off guard? 

I'll think we may see a different Obama next time, but I gotta admit I appreciate the reprieve from the "GOP is doomed" rhetoric.

You know - and I realize everything I say here will sound like backpedaling in hindsight, but I am trying to be honest here - he's never been a good debater.

I didn't pay attention a lot to the primary debates in 08, but the stuff I read all said that he was a horrible debater who got better over time, but at his best, he still wasn't really that great  And then he debated McCain in the actual election - and McCain isn't known to be very good either.  He doesn't not know how to sound like a professor, and his general oratorical style is more suited to the big, grand speech, not compressed into two minute soundbytes.

A friend told me today that it sounded like a businessperson debating a college professor, and I agree.  And a businessperson in that scenario will always sound better than a professor.

Also -- and I know this will sound partisan, but I do think it's valid -- I don't think he expected Romney to sound as reasonable as he did.  Romney sounded more like he did running for Mass governer, and Obama - and those who prepared him - may have been expecting something different.

I heard a pundit say something similar to what you said -- about not being challenged as POTUS -- but if it's true, than I'm really pissed, because Obama's handlers should have gotten him over that.  At the debate, it's less important what you say (I think) than how you look, and Romney just looked more presidential, and for that, Obama has no excuse.  He's the president -- he should have sounded like one.

Yeah, I think we'll see something different the next time.  But, honestly, I'm most looking forwad to the VP debates.  I think Ryan will be an excellent debater, and who knows what will come out of Biden's mouth?  I expect to be entertained, if nothing else. :-) 

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN