News & Politics

Cafe Robin
Who WON the debate? **Poll**
October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM
What did you think of the debate? Who do you think won?
Share your thoughts in the replies below.
Who do you think won the debate?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 19% - Obama
  2. 73% - Romney
  3. 7% - Other, please explain

Replies

• alnilam
    by alnilam
    October 4, 2012 at 6:04 AM

From the start the president started off spending the most of his 2 minutes just talking, thanking etc he never answered the question on jobs he touched on that only in his counter, Romney answered the question and stated on of the most important things this country needs, to become energy independent and in doing so creating new jobs pointing out that his administration has cut oil and gas production and that the only increase came from private land not government land. When taxes were addressed on the middle class he said he helped us and then went on to attack Romney's tax plan which he doesn't seem to understand. I have a hard time with the definition of middle class when it comes to taxes they always say keep taxes lower for those that make under 200 thousand if under that amount is middle class what is a person making under 50 thousand? fine lower taxes for anyone making under 200 and lower them even more for anyone making under 50 these are the people that are really having a hard time, when you add up how many times 1 dollar of your money is taxed what do you have left, start with state and federal and go on to city and state and other misc taxes like sales tax etc what do you have left? 

What really gets me is the lack of help for people that are working part time jobs because that's all they can find and the lack of help available to them, say your 50 single or married and now are at a point in your life where either you don't have kids or they are grown and not living at home, you cant afford insurance because every cent you make is just to make ends meet pay your rent or mortgage, buy food etc. you have worked all of your life and this is where you are now just barely getting by and you have a dental problem, there is no help for you because under this administration dental for those under 60 to twenty's has removed emergency dental, untreated dental problems are not only painful they can become life threatening. ok now that I got that out of my system back to the debate.

I learned alot about Romney during this debate and feel alot more informed on what he stands for while I may not agree with everthing he says I still can't take another 4 years of this current administration, the president in his closing said some of the things he said the first time around and I still have not seen any improvement in these. 

• happy2bmom25
    October 4, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    I noticed that looking awsy as well. Ibama wrnt into this thinking that his chsrisma and popularity would put him on top. He was wrong!

Quoting LadyByrdNest:

Actually, my husband is an expert profiler and at reading body language....this is what he said.....

"Obama is letting it be known that he is disregrding what Mitt is saying as just not being as important as what he has to say following Mitt.

He's always looking in the opposite direction of Mitt and was easily distracted when there came a noise behind the curtain. Obama looked as if it were a "squirrel" moment and Romney didn't miss a beat. This is telling in of itself". 

Quoting shimamab:

I hope his team talks to O about his nodding while R spoke. I'm pretty sure he was just doing it to acknowledge he was paying attention while taking notes, but it made it look like he was agreeing with R.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Yea was boring. Where is their passion? Their voice?

Quoting shimamab:

I thought it was flat on both sides. Hoping for a better debate next time.

• happy2bmom25
    October 4, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Personally, I believe how Obama behaved is exactly how he approaches foreign policy as well. Agree with the enemy, acknowledge their point if view, agree with their point if view, and then some how the opponent will see him as a good guy and just concede.

Quoting SeakingPeace:

Quoting shimamab:

I hope his team talks to O about his nodding while R spoke. I'm pretty sure he was just doing it to acknowledge he was paying attention while taking notes, but it made it look like he was agreeing with R.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Yea was boring. Where is their passion? Their voice?

Quoting shimamab:

I thought it was flat on both sides. Hoping for a better debate next time.

I agree with you that Obama shaking his head looked like he agreed with Romney.  Additionally, there were times in the debate that Obama said things he shouldn't have.  It was almost like he was walking himself into a trap.  And this helped Romney!  I also think that the interviewer allowed Romney to interupt a lot & he seemed to more easily shut up Obama.  All in all, I think it was a great debate.  I enjoyed it and now I think I'm swaying towards Romney.  

• SlightlyPerfect
    October 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM

He's definitely coming back from the last month, which was treacherous for him.

Quoting Jambo4:

That was fun!

Romney was fantastic and bold, prepared, smart, and quick

and the difference was painfully obvious.

• ms-superwoman
    October 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    Romney didn't say anything except the same old fluff. Lots of words but nothing substantial.

Quoting jcrew6:

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I thought it sucked either way... Romney made himself look like an ass, which I predicted he would.

Obama appeared clueless and lacking in real leadership ability. All Romney had to do was mention Obama's track record as president. Which he did. Successfully.
  • vonna610
    October 4, 2012 at 7:22 AM

romney was rude the president keep asking him "HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS". romney kept jumping pass the qustion acting like he was made at the world. I still dont know what romneys plan is for america.

it was flat on both sides.

• ms-superwoman
    October 4, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    Like I said it sucked either way. At least Obama was respectful. Romney's constantly interrupting and talking over others was rude and made him look like a fool.

Quoting SallyMJ:

And why do you say that?  What do you think about Obama's performance?

Quoting ms-superwoman:

I thought it sucked either way... Romney made himself look like an ass, which I predicted he would.

• elliegrossman
    October 4, 2012 at 7:44 AM

I thought Obama won the likability contest, contrary to what experts are saying about Romney's win on "preparedness" and "specifics." 

• samurai_chica
    October 4, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Romney was more aggresive, but more vague

Obama had better explanations for his plans, but wasn't aggressive enough.

This was a terrible debate for the undecided voter.

• shimamab
    October 4, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Great point about the undecided voters. All the whooping and clapping here is from Romney/Romney-leaning/Rep supporters. For those who were HONESTLY undecided, I don't think a case was made for either candidate.

Quoting samurai_chica:

Romney was more aggresive, but more vague

Obama had better explanations for his plans, but wasn't aggressive enough.

This was a terrible debate for the undecided voter.

News & Politics