News & Politics

Featured Posts
rocketracer
Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.
September 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

Replies

• omm76002
    September 28, 2012 at 4:00 PM

"Playing sports boosts your need for calories. A typical teenage boy requires a base level of about 2,100–2,400 calories daily, while a typical girl needs around 1700 calories. Throwing sports into the mix changes the calorie score. Girls need an extra 750 calories daily to meet the energy demands of training and competing, while boys need an extra 900 calories."

http://www.powerbar.com/articles/183/eat-to-compete-in-high-school-sports-nutrition-for-teen-athletes.aspx

So that mean if say a teenage boy is a football player he would need 3300 a day. Thats 1100 a mean.

Quoting Trueblu:

How many calories do you think they need? Kids from 11-18 need an average of 2500 calories a day. 3 meals, not including snacks, drinks, etc, would mean 833 calories each meal. 

Quoting DSamuels:

It sounds like they went into a "one size fits all" meal. There's a HUGE problem with that. Athletes need more than 850 calories for lunch. Smaller meals might be good for younger kids, they might not be enough food for older kids.

Let's face it, kids don't always eat what is good for them so now they will go hungry like you suggest. WTH good does that do?

Quoting Sisteract:

School lunches should be healthy and calorie appropriate, particularly when the district is making the menus and supplying the food.

Choices:

Starve.

Eat what is served to you.

Make your own lunch.

Take some responsibility for your own child and self (if age appropriate).

• paknari
    by paknari
    September 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    Is brining in food illegal at these schools? I don't think that the school should have to cater to a group. If you were to give more than 850 calories to every high school student because some students need more would cause problems for everyone else. They need to be brining snacks for before training etc. also, if They are eating breakfast and lunch at about the same caloric intake They would be taking in 2550 calories. That's not including any snacks at all.

Quoting omm76002:

"Playing sports boosts your need for calories. A typical teenage boy requires a base level of about 2,100–2,400 calories daily, while a typical girl needs around 1700 calories. Throwing sports into the mix changes the calorie score. Girls need an extra 750 calories daily to meet the energy demands of training and competing, while boys need an extra 900 calories."

http://www.powerbar.com/articles/183/eat-to-compete-in-high-school-sports-nutrition-for-teen-athletes.aspx

So that mean if say a teenage boy is a football player he would need 3300 a day. Thats 1100 a mean.

Quoting Trueblu:

How many calories do you think they need? Kids from 11-18 need an average of 2500 calories a day. 3 meals, not including snacks, drinks, etc, would mean 833 calories each meal. 

Quoting DSamuels:

It sounds like they went into a "one size fits all" meal. There's a HUGE problem with that. Athletes need more than 850 calories for lunch. Smaller meals might be good for younger kids, they might not be enough food for older kids.

Let's face it, kids don't always eat what is good for them so now they will go hungry like you suggest. WTH good does that do?

Quoting Sisteract:

School lunches should be healthy and calorie appropriate, particularly when the district is making the menus and supplying the food.

Choices:

Starve.

Make your own lunch.

• SindieNunez
    October 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Cafetria food never been that great IMO, anywhere from schools to hospitals. Nothing yummier then a home cook meal mmmmmm.

• One_Awesome_Mom
    October 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    I'm sorry I don't understand what all the hooplah is about! What happened to brown bagging it?! Why is it such a big deal to make your kid a lunch he/she will eat? Or let them pick out things they like for lunch that are good for them? That's what I plan on doing. I buy the groceries so I know he's getting good stuff and then he can pick what he wants for lunch that day. And no change in his backpack for any snacks unless he's been really good just like I did growing up.
  • Capaflirt
    October 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM

And I have no problem with the fact that they have to take it - if it was going somewhere other than the dump.  My dd loves fruit - but she does not like the types they get at school.  If they had fresh carrots not cooked - she would eat them every day with no complaints.

• Savedfromsin79
    October 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quoting Savedfromsin79:

My only question is this.. WHO THE HELL GAVE MICHELLE OBAMA POWER TO DO ANYTHING???????????????

Why are the officials listening to a woman who has exactly NO NUTRITIONAL BACKGROUND?

Again I make my point.. MICHELLE OBAMA has NOT ONE DROP OF NUTRITIONAL EDUCATION... WHY is it she has the right to make such a wide sweeping change?

• Savedfromsin79
    October 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quoting paknari:

Is brining in food illegal at these schools? I don't think that the school should have to cater to a group. If you were to give more than 850 calories to every high school student because some students need more would cause problems for everyone else. They need to be brining snacks for before training etc. also, if They are eating breakfast and lunch at about the same caloric intake They would be taking in 2550 calories. That's not including any snacks at all.

Quoting omm76002:

Quoting Trueblu:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Sisteract:

Choices:

Starve.

Make your own lunch.

Not to join you two's fight.. But most schools HAVE become hugely more strict on what is allowed to be brought into school. Birthday stuff, snack stuff.. They have started atleast in the area I live in sending home a "Food "NO-NO"List"

• GardenerArtist
    October 16, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Even when I was a single parent and my kids qualified for free lunches, I still made their lunches.  Teenage kid's are old enough to make their own damn lunches if they don't like what the school provides, or the quantity.  wah wah wah

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN