News & Politics

Featured Posts
rocketracer
Complaints Mount Against Gov't's New Lunch Menu...ETA: my response.
September 25, 2012 at 10:43 AM

In Wisconsin, high school athletes are complaining about not getting enough to eat each day, due to the skimpy new school lunch menu mandated by the United States Department of Agriculture and First Lady Michelle Obama.

The story we published earlier this week on that subject is unfortunately not unique. Students across the country are complaining about the new school lunch regulations.

Perhaps the real motive is to starve students into slimming down. Just ask students in Pierre, South Dakota who, too, are in an all-out revolt.

"I know a lot of my friends who are just drinking a jug of milk for their lunch. And they are not getting a proper meal," middle school student Samantha Gortmaker told Keloland.com.

Despite the fact that the new regulations have increased the cost of a lunch 20 to 25 cents per plate, it’s not pleasing students.

Some are throwing away their vegetables while others are adapting to the rules by becoming industrious. In New Bedford, Massachusetts, students have created a black market - for chocolate syrup. The kiddie capitalists are smuggling in bottles of it and selling it by the squeeze, according to SouthCoastToday.com.

Nancy Carvalho, director of food services for New Bedford Public Schools, was quoted as saying that hummus and black bean salads have been tough sells in elementary cafeterias. That means even smaller children are going through the day fighting hunger pains, which can never be considered a good thing.

One government official tried to put the blame on the students.

"One thing I think we need to keep in mind as kids say they're still hungry is that many children aren't used to eating fruits and vegetables at home, much less at school. So it's a change in what they are eating. If they are still hungry, it's that they are not eating all the food that's being offered," USDA Deputy Undersecretary Janey Thornton was quoted as saying.

Ms. Thornton just put her finger on the problem. The government is trying to impose a new diet that children are not accustomed to. It’s not reasonable to expect them to either eat what the government deems healthy or go hungry.

Many will opt to go hungry, and that’s the government’s fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with children who buy school lunches have you children mentioned anything about the options and/or portion sizes for their school lunches?  Have they noticed a change?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETA:  I haven't had the opportunity to read all the responses to this post.   I have seen a combination of PRO's and CON's toward the new gov't program.  Most schools have health programs that, in part, teach about healthy eating.  Introducing healthy food choices to kids is a good thing, but taking away a kid's home packed lunch and forcing the kid to purchase a school lunch is an overreach. 

People want kids to take more responsibility for themselves, yet some want to control what and how much a child eats.  There is irony in there somewhere.

Replies

• PrincessMarina
    September 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM

because kids are LESS ACTIVE.

When I was a kid, gym class was everyday. Now its what, 1 time per week if that? Kids were riding bikes, now its sitting on their ass playing video games, if u r going to be inactive, u don't burn off foods well and when u eat crap those take FOREVER to burn off when excercise is so limiting. And if u r saying doritos and ding dongs pizza and soda was a good diet for u as a child boy are u wrong. So many adults NOW are suffering for the shit they ate as kids. High cholesterol, diabetes, obesity cause it finally caught up with you, clogged arteries and heart attacks and cancer (YES if u r overweight u r more likely to get cancer, etc.

Quoting buttersworth:

Because of a company called Monsanto

Quoting tnmomofive:

Emm hmm it surely plays a part.Hell when I was a kid I ate alot of the same junk kids today do (except mcdonalds wwas a rare thing) and I was thin.I walked everywhere and remained active but still ate like hell OFTEN but never got fat.I drank sodas and koolaid..ate doritoes and pizza.Why is it that I often ate the same foods that are helping make kids fat today but I was never fat?
    Most of my friends growing up were the same way.

Quoting buttersworth:

yeah, we should tackle him for that !

first off, it's MY job as a parent to ensure my children are healthy - not the govt

second, obama is not a nutritionist, he's a SMOKING, lying politician

third, the GMOs, growth hormones and antibiotics in our foods are making kids over weight if anything

this whole childhood obesity thing is a scam

Quoting PrincessMarina:

Oh and btw lets attack Obama for... OMG.... For.....

TRYING TO TACKLE CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND MAKE OUR KIDS HEALTHIER AND LIVE LONGER!

HOW FRIGGIN DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eye rolling

• GagaNTattooS
    September 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM
    Yes He is always hungry. He sets a second lunch when he Gets home...my kId plays football and Isnt bIg to begIn wIthcwe let hIm eat what he wants he needs the extra crabs and Fats
  • GagaNTattooS
    September 26, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    I also think the government has no business in my child's school lunch. Or my home.
  • tnmomofive
    September 26, 2012 at 1:12 AM

I don't think anyone believes that doritoes and whatever junk foods are good for us.The point was that alot of us ate he same way as kids and did not become obese.I agree that some of it is because of inactivity but I also agree with butter that the crap that is injected into our foods plays a part today as well.

• buttersworth
    September 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I AM doing my job VERY effectively ....MY kids are not over weight

The one that is in school brings her lunch 99 % of the time

I don't have her buy lunch because no matter if they serve hummus (which she loves) or pizza (which she also likes)...school lunches are not made f rom good, pure ingredients. It's factory food.

Many parents today don't know how to cook from scratch, so they don't know what's in food. They don't know what good food is. They think just because its a vegetable its good, even packaged with preservatives all over it.

Pizza IS healthy. The dough is flour, oil (i use olive oil), yeast, tsp of salt and sugar. The sauce is pureed tomatoes. Then cheese. Add a green salad and it's the perfect meal.

Quoting PrincessMarina:

If you and all the other parents were doing their "job" effectively, the childhood obesity rate wouldn't be so damned high in this country!!!!

Do you know what happens when you get a "job" and fail to do it well?

You get FIRED.

If you don't like the newer healthier food that will keep your from getting childhood diabetes,

SAID THE HO-HOS, DING DONGS, RING DINGS, HERSHEY BARS, CHOCOLATE MILK, and GREASY FRENCH FRIES AND PIZZA SLICES FROM HOME!

No one is FORCING you to buy your kids school lunch, and no one is FORCING you to get FREE LUNCH if you qualify for it. Get a second job if that is the case, and buy your kids their damned TWINKIES! K?

Quoting buttersworth:

yeah, we should tackle him for that !

first off, it's MY job as a parent to ensure my children are healthy - not the govt

second, obama is not a nutritionist, he's a SMOKING, lying politician

third, the GMOs, growth hormones and antibiotics in our foods are making kids over weight if anything

this whole childhood obesity thing is a scam

Quoting PrincessMarina:

Oh and btw lets attack Obama for... OMG.... For.....

TRYING TO TACKLE CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND MAKE OUR KIDS HEALTHIER AND LIVE LONGER!

HOW FRIGGIN DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eye rolling

• 1lv2stks3nlz4ev
    September 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

My sons school has always had healthy meals and portions. Heck they have a salad bar that any of the kids can eat from even if they bring lunch from home. No soda or junk food on our menu!

• Sisteract
    September 26, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I think those chemicals affect metabolism-

The rates rose far too quickly- way too many obese people.

Quoting tnmomofive:

I don't think anyone believes that doritoes and whatever junk foods are good for us.The point was that alot of us ate he same way as kids and did not become obese.I agree that some of it is because of inactivity but I also agree with butter that the crap that is injected into our foods plays a part today as well.

• purplerobin
    September 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Quoting rocketracer:

Quoting Sisteract:

School lunches should be healthy and calorie appropriate, particularly when the district is making the menus and supplying the food.

Choices:

Starve.

Eat what is served to you.

Make your own lunch.

Take some responsibility for your own child and self (if age appropriate).

Can kids buy more than one lunch at schools?  I don't know.

Some schools check out what kids bring in for lunch.  Lunch meal monitors have been known to deem the contents of a brown bag lunch unhealthly and have forced students to buy a school lunch.  I would really like to see a lunch meal monitor take away a line backers lunch

Why is that, because a linebacker should get away with stuff because he's big, bad, and has a mouth the size of Texas? If a lunch meal monitor (I'm a substitute paraprofessional, and help at mealtime, but at high school level we aren't in the lunchroom) has the authority, which she SHOULD, to determine a homemade lunch is NOT within school guidelines, took the lunch away, and the precious, spoiled linebacker tried being disrespectful or worse, I'D love to see that linebacker written up, suspended, or whatever discipline is appropriate depending on the particulars of the situation. :)

• buttersworth
    September 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM

i'm surprised then that you would not be irritated that the govt is trying so hard to get into everybody[s food busness..sounds like you've got a lot on your plate...no pun intended ...

Quoting PrincessMarina:

First off I buy things with TRUVIA or I make my own from home with TRUVIA, no aspartame. Secondly, with a child with autism, one with ADHD and ODD, and one with hypoglycemia, my kids have special diets.

Quoting buttersworth:

chances are that sugar free stuff is loaded with aspartame, and it is NOT healthy

what is unhealthy about real sugar? just not too much. sugar comes from a plant. aspartame is made n a lab.

kids don't need lowfat and fat free unless they are overweight already

fat is good for developing brains, and kids are more active than adults so they need it

it takes calories to grow

studies have shown that milk fat actually helps you metabolize other calories

compare the nutritional information on the package of a bag of potato chips vs. that of any brand of cracker

chips are potatoes, which are a vegetable - crackers are made from processed flour - is same goes for fries

chips are actually full of more vitamins than crackers - way more

i would not personally categorize chips and fries as veggies, but they aren't ThAT bad to eat - especially if you're a kid with no likely cholesterol prob.

i don't lke school lunches because they aren't balanced, and they are all processed food.

Quoting PrincessMarinra:

Fine. Don't like it? Move to Spokane WA where I am. The lunches here are crap!

Chocolate milk is offered.

French fries are considered a vegatable. Yeah it is a veggie, thats been FRIED in OIL and laden with salt.

There ARE healthy alternatives but u know none of the kids pick it. They have a salad bar or a nonfat yogurt with fruit bowl and veggie sticks with fatfree dip.

But 99.9% of the kids who get the school lunches pick chocolate milk, and the hot crap.

Like tacos with cheese and lettuce, or sloppy joes on a white bun, or cheese or pepperoni pizza slices, WITH FRIES!

This is why I send my kids WITH LUNCH from HOME.

My kids get whole grain bread with jenni-o turkey and low fat cheese and sugar free pudding cups and fresh raw broccoli and veggie/fruit mixed juice, and some grapes.

Or whole wheat crackers, with cut up turkey ham and low fat cheese cut into squares, etc.

• tnmomofive
    September 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Absolutely agree sister.It is sad when looking around out in the busy public most of the kids are overweight by a large margin.

News & Politics

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN