Around 40ish Dungeon Divas

AndrewsMomPDX
Hey Mel, or any of you who know about dementia - Update at end
January 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM

My ods and I noticed the other night that dh was completely rambling in responses to what we were talking about. Ods later commented that he wondered if he was speaking english because dh's responses were so far out there in left field, but he had also been drinking earlier in the day.

Then yesterday he had two interviews. I printed up mapquest directions but decided because one of them was pretty far away in an unfamiliar town of our metropolitan area that I should just go and read directions while he drove. Anyway, he couldn't seem to understand much. I was so frustrated by the time we got there that my body ached and my head felt like it was going to explode.

I'm just wondering what you noticed at first with your mom? I know my dh has problems with directions, but yesterday was seriously dysfunctional. We almost had a serious accident one day earlier in the week because he doesn't seem to be paying attention to what is going on around him. I just need to know what is important to mention to his doc when he goes in on the 6th of February.

Replies

• RedHeadedLizzy
    February 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I have mild dementia with the PD.  Attention, confusion, memory are all affected at times, and at times I can be found wandering my living room having a conversation with no one. I'll "come out of it" and realize there was no one there. 

• BrenMOM
    by BrenMOM
    February 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Red-- I am not making light of your condition.. but I do the same thing..

..wander around the house talking to myself. Here I thought it was because I am the only one who listens to me.  LOL

• AndrewsMomPDX
    February 7, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I suppose it is a good thing that at least you realize you are doing it and what causes it. I find myself being afraid to mention what I observe here, thinking I'm going to be insulting to him.

Quoting RedHeadedLizzy:

I have mild dementia with the PD.  Attention, confusion, memory are all affected at times, and at times I can be found wandering my living room having a conversation with no one. I'll "come out of it" and realize there was no one there. 

• AndrewsMomPDX
    February 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Quoting Melinda67:

is there anything new to update us??? has he seen the dr? did you ask for the mri with contrast????

His doctor did a great job of listening to him when we went in last Friday. He doesn't feel the seizures are really TIA's and mentioned something else called vasovagal response, but reading up on it makes me think his symptoms don't really match. Anyway, he's sending Steve to the seizure clinic. So maybe they'll figure it out, but I doubt it.

The good news is the doctor agrees that disability is a good idea and said that  Steve seems to be functionally disabled. He recommended he stop job searching, but can't do that for Employment benefits sake right now. We went to the disability office Wednesday morning and got the paperwork started. Based on the way the questions were asked, it seemed like they didn't want much detail, which makes me wonder if the first time you apply, you're pretty much doomed to be rejected until you appeal. This should be an interesting journey.

• firemouse23
    February 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

So happy to hear that the Dr. is on board with  you.  I filled out the small paperwork and then they sent me another book of paperwork...well only about 8 pages long.  When I put in my appeal I had another book to fill out yet again.  I hope he gets his and doesn't have to jump through hoops.  Prayers coming your way.

• Melinda67
    February 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM

damn...I would still push for the MRI....you have got to know how much damage has occured...and to what area's of the brain are damaged....knowing that will help you get disability as well....

• AndrewsMomPDX
    February 7, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think we will push for one when he gets into his neurology appointment. The way it works is he'll go in and update them and they will order whatever tests he needs, which will take up to six weeks to get and then he will go back in after results come in. I'm guessing it will take until almost summer to get anywhere since it is the VA. We are uninsured now, so it is the only option.

Quoting Melinda67:

damn...I would still push for the MRI....you have got to know how much damage has occured...and to what area's of the brain are damaged....knowing that will help you get disability as well....

• Melinda67
    February 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM

ok...hopefully you are able to get him one....

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

I think we will push for one when he gets into his neurology appointment. The way it works is he'll go in and update them and they will order whatever tests he needs, which will take up to six weeks to get and then he will go back in after results come in. I'm guessing it will take until almost summer to get anywhere since it is the VA. We are uninsured now, so it is the only option.

Quoting Melinda67:

• AndrewsMomPDX
    February 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I started to do it online and realized there was too much room to make mistakes, so I decided to go in, in case we had questions about how to answer something. I figured they would clarify everything.

Did you get that second set of paperwork after the initial filing, but before the denial/appeal? I'm also wondering if you had a ton of documentation from doctors before filing? We went to the VA records dept and had them go back 8 years (over kill), but the disc had 1067 pages on it.

I was told by the attorney I spoke to we basically had to prove he couldn't have any type of job, even like a call center or security personnel sitting behind a monitor.  His back spasms so much he can't sit still. I don't think he could make it through a training class because he's constantly up and down. He's also on morphine, so that lets out any type of security job because if he ever had to go to court and that came out, his judgement would be in question.

I sure hope you get your disability and your case is settled soon.

Quoting firemouse23:

So happy to hear that the Dr. is on board with  you.  I filled out the small paperwork and then they sent me another book of paperwork...well only about 8 pages long.  When I put in my appeal I had another book to fill out yet again.  I hope he gets his and doesn't have to jump through hoops.  Prayers coming your way.

• firemouse23
    February 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Yes it was after the initial filing...but if you stayed for an entire appt you may not get the 8 page book as they may have just done it on the computer for you.  I didn't have a ton of documentation but they collected it for me when I let them know who and where to get it from.  My case has now...as of today...moved to the hearing part.  I received paperwork today on it and now have 60 days to file for that and get a lawyer.  It can take a couple years at this point but I'm hoping not.  I'm thinking with all the budget cuts right now that no one is getting through.  Don't get discouraged though..keep with it no matter how many times you have to keep going.

Quoting AndrewsMomPDX:

I started to do it online and realized there was too much room to make mistakes, so I decided to go in, in case we had questions about how to answer something. I figured they would clarify everything.

Did you get that second set of paperwork after the initial filing, but before the denial/appeal? I'm also wondering if you had a ton of documentation from doctors before filing? We went to the VA records dept and had them go back 8 years (over kill), but the disc had 1067 pages on it.

I was told by the attorney I spoke to we basically had to prove he couldn't have any type of job, even like a call center or security personnel sitting behind a monitor.  His back spasms so much he can't sit still. I don't think he could make it through a training class because he's constantly up and down. He's also on morphine, so that lets out any type of security job because if he ever had to go to court and that came out, his judgement would be in question.

I sure hope you get your disability and your case is settled soon.

Quoting firemouse23:

Around 40ish Dungeon Divas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts