Around 40ish Dungeon Divas

Dealing with some stress. PIOG UPDATE
October 22, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Hub is back on the road, headed up from TN to IL and back, then who knows where.  

As some know, we homeschool.  We've done it off and on with doing public school, and had some issues with the public schools and Ash's aspergers.  Well, now she wants to try public school again now that we are in a different town.  The school here has some great reviews for their educational standards.  I just don't want Ash getting hosed up again and back into a shell.  I'm waiting on a call from the principal so we can go talk with him. 

Why is nothing simple?

Update: we went to the open house and were very impressed. It was all very laid back and nothing stressful.  Ash loves it.  I think we'll be putting her there.  They've won the National Blue Ribbon Award in 2010 and have some of the best teachers there. Ash already made friends. 


  • SusanTheWriter
    October 22, 2012 at 2:40 PM

    Ugh. Hugs, mama. DD wants to go back next fall, but I'm so scared of her shutting down again, too. There's so much she needs to learn between now and then, and the academics are the least of it.

    I have no good ideas. Is there a way for her to a partial enrollment? Like, she could join their choir or band, but be home for the rest of it?

  • RedHeadedLizzy
    October 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM

    I don't know Susan.  I'm still waiting to hear from the principal to see what the options are.  Ash needs friends and socialization.  She had a horrible time with 1st grade PS, but in 2nd grade (half years), she had the most wonderful teacher who knew just how to deal with her. Then 3rd grade bombed with the worst teacher of all who wouldn't even accept that Ash had aspergers and shudder attacks.  She really wants to give it a try but I am so concerned with this bouncing back and forth between the two.  Fortunately, I have a good friend who deals with the special education with the school system here and is championing us.  

    October 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM

    Praying for you both....Thsi is horrible to deal with..having dome so with my YS.  I made some big mistakes...still grieving those in light of recent events.  I DID not follow my gut at first.... everything that I felt seemed against the counselors and friends... NOW I have serious regrets.   Listen to your GUT diva's and know that here is a clear difference in your fear and your gut. 

  • BrenMOM
    by BrenMOM
    October 22, 2012 at 6:53 PM

    have you looked into charter schools?  might have the leeway you need with her Aspergers.

    Montesorry schools are also run differently then regular public schools.

  • firemouse23
    October 22, 2012 at 7:00 PM

    I hope all goes well with your meeting and you can make a comfortable decision as to put her into PS or not at this time.  Hugs and prayers coming your way.

  • daisybelle1960
    October 22, 2012 at 7:12 PM

     I'm glad you have someone on your side in the system. This must be really stressful for you! Hugs!

  • Melinda67
    October 22, 2012 at 8:42 PM

    is Ash on a 504 or IEP??

  • RedHeadedLizzy
    October 23, 2012 at 10:04 AM

    Thanks, ladies!

    Mel- no, we never knew anything about those until recently. I am going tonight to an open house and will talk with the teachers, esp. the special ed teacher and the principal.  I had a good feeling talking with him on the phone yesterday.  

    I had taken her out of ps at the beginning of 3rd grade because the teacher wouldn't even acknowledge her Aspergers or her obvious shudder attacks. Her 2nd grade teacher was wonderful and knew how to work with her. Every time we've had to take her out of PS (1st and 3rd grades) it was because of a very bad teacher who was abusive to her (didn't have that in Head start, kindergarten or 2nd grade) and it took 6 months each time to get her back where she could function around other kids. I will be very careful in deciding whether or not she goes back to a PS this time.  Although, this school has some great awards for their excellence from the state.  

    Quoting Melinda67:

    is Ash on a 504 or IEP??

  • AndrewsMomPDX
    October 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM

     I'm with Shirley about following your gut instinct and hope you are surrounded by educators who will help your dd flourish if she does return to ps.

  • Melinda67
    October 23, 2012 at 4:47 PM

    if you decide to let her go back...the first day of school...personally hand deliver a letter to the prinicple telling the school you want her tested immediatly for any learning disabilities...once you do that and hand deliver it...they have..I think 30 days..but it could be 90 days to respond...then once they respond she should be tested within 90 days...Also...get ahold of your counties special education coordinator..or supervisor...this person will be in your county education building..and talk to the district psycologist....get a copy of's a pamplet for parents of children on IEP's and 504 plans...get  your hands on one...and make sure it's a current one...they change them it..learn much as you not be afraid to ask for an advocate to help you not let the school tell you that she she doesn't qualify for federal law...if you request it..they must do can have her tested outside the school...if you are going to wait till next school year to put her back in...then that's that route I would do..get her tested outside the school...and go from there...and please...if you have any questions...please do not hesitate to ask me...I will help you as much as I can...

Around 40ish Dungeon Divas

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts