Make A Difference

SisterPeach
When Morals collide...who's right?
February 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

Replies

• LindaClement
    February 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I fail to see what it is about Ellen that is not 'family friendly.'

Of course, I also fail to see what it is about such an intolerant bunch of control freaks that is 'family friendly' so I wonder why they keep using the phrase.

• Kelly913
    February 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

• LindaClement
    February 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Whose bible?

Quoting Kelly913:

• JoiseyGirl_78
    February 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

• Kelly913
    February 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

God's Bible. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Whose bible?

Quoting Kelly913:

• Kelly913
    February 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM

My response to this would hijack the post, taking it away from the original intent of the post creator.  If you'd like to know my thoughts, PM me.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

• JoiseyGirl_78
    February 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Im not hijacking anything, you did when you said the bible is always right. You brought the Bible into this, I didn't. I am just explaining to you, the Bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Do you eat bacon? Do you believe in killing your kids for cursing you or raising a hand to you? You can't really pick and chose, unless you believe that some of the Bible is wrong, and if you do believe that, who are you to say which parts are right and which parts are wrong?

Quoting Kelly913:

My response to this would hijack the post, taking it away from the original intent of the post creator.  If you'd like to know my thoughts, PM me.

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

• Kelly913
    February 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I think it becomes an issue of walking out convictions.  Regardless of the particular issue being discussed, if we say one thing, but don't follow it with action, we lose credibility-in our kids' eyes and others.  Is the simple appearance of Ms Degeneres anywhere a problem?  No.  If a child has been taught that homosexuality is a sin, discovers that Ms Degeneres is lesbian, and then wonders why his or her parents shop at the store she represents, would they not question if what's said is truly important?

• Kelly913
    February 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Sisterpeach asked a question.  I provided an answer, that's not hijacking. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Im not hijacking anything, you did when you said the bible is always right. You brought the Bible into this, I didn't. I am just explaining to you, the Bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Do you eat bacon? Do you believe in killing your kids for cursing you or raising a hand to you? You can't really pick and chose, unless you believe that some of the Bible is wrong, and if you do believe that, who are you to say which parts are right and which parts are wrong?

Quoting Kelly913:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

• JoiseyGirl_78
    February 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

You cannot have ANY commercial that 100% of the population agrees with ever. So this point is moot. If you don't like Ellen being their spokesman and think your children will see as a hypocrite for shopping there, it's simple. Stop shopping there.

Quoting Kelly913:

I think it becomes an issue of walking out convictions.  Regardless of the particular issue being discussed, if we say one thing, but don't follow it with action, we lose credibility-in our kids' eyes and others.  Is the simple appearance of Ms Degeneres anywhere a problem?  No.  If a child has been taught that homosexuality is a sin, discovers that Ms Degeneres is lesbian, and then wonders why his or her parents shop at the store she represents, would they not question if what's said is truly important?

Make A Difference

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts