Make A Difference

SisterPeach
When Morals collide...who's right?
February 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

Replies

• s.adams83
    February 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I have never heard that argument before.  That is a little food for thought.  

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

• rancharobeans
    February 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Wow that is disturbing and NO I don't support this group. Ellen is a cool person and her sexual orientation has NOTHING to do with her being in advertisements. She is a celebrity and she is a COVERGIRL... HellllllloO!

I think the group is disgusting

• rancharobeans
    February 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I like it

Quoting s.adams83:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

Unless Ellen is yanking down her pants and saying girls lick this, I dont see how it isn't family friendly entertainment. Ellen is not a bad person. The Bible also says, KELLY913 - TO KILL YOUR CHILDREN WHEN THEY CURSE YOU. The bible is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT. Period. God created us in his image. I believe that, do you? We evolve. Therefore, God evolves. The Bible is VERY outdated. It has some good ideas. But things like eating pork, killing your kids if they raise a hand to you, etc, are VERY WRONG and OLD FASHIONED. If we evolve, God evolves too, because we are made IN HIS IMAGE. God loves his children unconditionally. Sometimes they are punished, but not for loving someone else who just happens to be of the "same sex". I think damnation and hell are reserved for people like men who beat the living shit out of their wives, women and men who molest small children, Hitler, etc.

• starlight1968
    February 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Well, when I worked at JCP (5yrs) I had 2 gay men working for me in my dept.  Do they have a problem with gays in general? If so they have been hypocrites in my opinion shopping there when they employed others before Ellen.

I think Ellen was a good choice as everybody like her..men/women of all sorts lol.

• s.adams83
    February 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

me too

Quoting rancharobeans:

I like it

Quoting s.adams83:

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

• LindaClement
    February 11, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Which one?

http://www.biblegateway.com/

Quoting Kelly913:

The Christian Bible.  The one with 66 books including the Old Testament and the New Testament. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Because you say it as if all of them say the same things --or even have the same books in them.

Which one do you take as the 'absolutly right' one?

Quoting Kelly913:

Not following your question?  Which sect?  Are you asking which translation? 

Quoting LindaClement:

I can find a concordance with 31 versions of the Christian bible. I meant 'which sect's bible?'

Quoting Kelly913:

God's Bible. 

Quoting LindaClement:

Whose bible?

Quoting Kelly913:

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

• coreilly89
    February 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Way for the family friendly to teach their younger generations about morals and how to properly handle situations. Asshats. 

• Uhura
    by Uhura
    February 11, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Ellen is great, I've been watching her since I was a kid!

If you don't like that she's the spokesperson at that store, then don't shop there. I don't shop there for my clothes, simply because all of my size look like they're for hookers. The kids clothes are good though.

• mommyto2gr8ones
    February 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Actually, we were originally made in His image, you are correct on that.  Then we did something we shouldn't have, we ate of the fruit we were not intended to.  We began a quest for KNOWLEDGE over LIFE and that is why we "evolve", not b/c God evolves.  God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.  I'm very thankful that He doesn't change His mind and flits with every whim like we, as humans, do.  Are you a born again christian?  I'm really amazed at your response in saying that the Bible is not always right and that it is outdated with just some good ideas (which makes sense if you are not, I guess).  Also quite amazed with who you believe hell is reserved for.  Have you read the Bible at all?  Or are you going based off what others have told you it says?

As for the OP's post, I'm with whoever said I don't really care who thier spokesperson is b/c that has no bearing on where I spend my money.  I think this OMM group is just like any other group out there trying to make a difference in the world but maybe they should not resort to harrassment in order to change something.  JCP says no, they won't change their mind.  Maybe its just time to call for a boycott for those that will join and be done with it. 

Quoting JoiseyGirl_78:

• mommyto2gr8ones
    February 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM

They think you aren't responding to the OP's question but I think they just misread your post???

Quoting Kelly913:

To answer the question in your title-the Bible has always been right. 

Make A Difference

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts