Make A Difference

SisterPeach
When Morals collide...who's right?
February 9, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Are you familiar with the group One Million Moms? The bill themselves as guardians of the family friendly, and have successfully had advertising pulled from shows such as Glee, The Shield, and FX programming.

It appears their group is slightly smaller than a million, averaging about 50,000 members.

Their latest target is JCPenney: Penney's recently partnered with Ellen Degeneres as their newest spokesperson as part of a brand change initiative. Ellen is notoriously big hearted and has given away stacks of cash to families in need throughout the recession. 

One million moms says she doesn't "stand for the majority" of Penney's shoppers and wants her fired, because she's lesbian.

I get that they want the family friendly maintained, but I think that they're trying to foist their morals on to others. Why have advertising pulled from shows you aren't even watching if you don't want to police what the rest of the world is? Or are they watching the shows, "just for the advertising" to find out who offends them?

Penney's turned them down, by the way, so their latest tactic is harrassing the store managers. 

Thoughts?

Replies

• momofsixangels
    February 9, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Quoting acrogodess:

I see nothing about the Bible in the original post. With that being said, I DECIDE

what morals I will decide what morals I want to teach my children, what companies we will support with our patronage, and what my family will watch, not a group of women I don't know from Adam and Eve. 

This exactly.

• KenzieQsMommy
    February 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    Agreed. This post scares me lol.

Quoting acrogodess:

I see nothing about the Bible in the original post. With that being said, I DECIDE

what morals I will decide what morals I want to teach my children, what companies we will support with our patronage, and what my family will watch, not a group of women I don't know from Adam and Eve. 

• kerryket
    February 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM

I love Ellen :)

• SisterPeach
    February 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Right? It is scary when people think it's okay to force others to follow their beliefs.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

Agreed. This post scares me lol.

Quoting acrogodess:

• SisterPeach
    February 10, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Me, too.

Quoting kerryket:

I love Ellen :)

• gacgbaker
    February 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I don't have any issue with a group of people getting together and standing up for what they believe to be wrong, I think it's truly important and takes some serious courage, something that over all is very lacking in today's society- that said, I think this whole thing is being handled extremely poorly and without any moral of their own- just judgement and not seeing the big picture.  Ellen is a face for the advertising, she isn't screaming about gay rights while she poses for the ad spread- I don't have an issue with her being selected for the job- she is popular, stylish, and many people like her and she is extremely generous- I think she is pretty funny.  While I may not agree with all her choices, name one spokes person out there I do agree with everything on?  Um not one out there, lol!  

If we took away the fact that she was a homosexual, and looked at the goal of the campagne and the parts of her life they are focusing on, there wouldn't be any issues- we need to try to accept the whole person, not just take parts of their lives we don't agree with and beat them over the head with it.  Would your children even know she was a lesbian when they see her in the ads?  No- and even if they do, it shouldn't be that difficult to sit them down and talk to them about how you feel about the lifestyle while still accepting the person.  

• Kelly913
    February 10, 2012 at 10:16 AM

If the moral in question were something other than sexual orientation, would those reacting so passionately still be so passionate?  Let's say she'd been convicted of tax fraud and a group opposed her representing any company.  Would there still be an outcry over it?

I like the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." 

• SisterPeach
    February 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Sexual orientation is not a crime. Tax fraud is a crime. The two don't equate.

Quoting Kelly913:

If the moral in question were something other than sexual orientation, would those reacting so passionately still be so passionate?  Let's say she'd been convicted of tax fraud and a group opposed her representing any company.  Would there still be an outcry over it?

I like the saying, "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." 

• Kelly913
    February 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Actually-many states still have anti sodomy laws on the books, so it is a crime in many places.  Regardless of whether a person believes it's a crime, both are still moral issues, right? 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Quoting Kelly913:

• SisterPeach
    February 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Only three states still have sodomy laws on the books, and those were invalidated by a supreme court decision in 2003, ruling that  private sexual conduct is protected by liberty rights.  Homosexuality is NOT illegal. Tax Fraud is, not that any one is protesting Martha Stewart or Wesley Snipes.

Quoting Kelly913:

Actually-many states still have anti sodomy laws on the books, so it is a crime in many places.  Regardless of whether a person believes it's a crime, both are still moral issues, right? 

Quoting SisterPeach:

Quoting Kelly913:

Make A Difference

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts