Green Living

JasonsMom2007
come on chickens!
October 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM
Someone online is trying to find homes for 25 chickens! There are 4 of us interested. I hope I get some! Our chickens don't come anywhere near keeping up with our egg demands.

Replies

• cemcnair
    October 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Awesome!!!
    I cannot wait for mine to start laying! Currently only one is laying and her production is way down (she's an old lady). Five more should be laying anytime now!
  • SpiritedDragon
    October 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Good Luck Lisa!  I hope you all are able to get some.  

• mommaGof3
    October 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    Fingers crossed for you Lisa!!
  • cemcnair
    October 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    How many do you currently have laying?
  • JasonsMom2007
    October 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    Only 4

Quoting cemcnair:

• cemcnair
    October 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    I think you need two per person in your house to keep up (at least what I've found). And, in the winter, maybe even three or four per person. I actually probably need at least 3 more once our 5 new ones start laying.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Only 4

Quoting cemcnair:

• Babujai
    by Babujai
    October 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Are chickens a big investment? How much land do you need?  My step kids were over this weekend and we went through a dozen eggs for just one breakfast.

• cemcnair
    October 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Depends. If you buy chicks, you can get 25 for about $70, but then you have to feed and house them for at least 5-6 months before you start getting eggs. Housing can be fairly cheap. My coop was all upcycled materials except for the fencing. You don't have to have a whole lot of space. My coop is 10'x10' with the yard slightly bigger. It was a little too small for 25 chickens (the yard, not the coop), but fits 10-15 well. I let mine out into the garden which is about an acre whenever possible-but it's not necessary.
    If you purchase hens that are almost ready to lay, you will pay more per bird $15-$20 generally unless you find a good deal.
    I'm honestly not sure which is cheaper once you add in all the food it takes to get chicks up to laying....
    They are a ton of fun though!! My son loves to pet our chickens.

Quoting Babujai:

Are chickens a big investment? How much land do you need?  My step kids were over this weekend and we went through a dozen eggs for just one breakfast.

• greenmommo
    October 8, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I hope you get them.  We have 4 now that are laying.  It will be about another two months until 4 more are ready to start.  So far it is keeping up with our demand, but i'm allergic, so I don't eat.  We like to have extra to feed to the dogs.  

• JasonsMom2007
    October 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    I didn't get them :(

Green Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts