Green Living

eds6619
Would like to start making hand lotion
by eds6619
October 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Any suggestions on how to get started?  I don't want to spend a fortune to get started. 

Replies

• LuvMySavage
    October 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Hey, yeah. Me too. I hope someone has some good pointers for you (and me).

I use coconut oil as hand/body lotion. I was going to make Christmas gifts this year. Hand lotion would be an awesome gift.
  • cemcnair
    October 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I've actually heard that lotion is one of the more difficult ones to make because you have to blend water with oil. I'll see if my friend who makes it has any good pointers!

• eds6619
    by eds6619
    October 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

oh yikes...yeah difficult isnt' fun.

• skeletor1017
    October 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Body Butter

1. Melt shea butter and coconut oil in the top of a double boiler. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes. You may have to chill the mixture for this step. See above.

2. Stir in almond oil and essential oils of your choosing.*

3. Wait until oils start to partially solidify then whip until a butter-like consistency is achieved. This should only take a few minutes. 

4. Place in clean, glass jar and enjoy! A little goes a long way.

*Not all essential oils are skin friendly or child friendly. Please do your research before adding.

http://www.rawmazing.com/homemade-body-butter-recipe/

Ingredients
    -3 tablespoons jojoba oil
    -1 tablespoon calendula oil
    -3/4 teaspoon eucalyptus oil* 

How To
    1.  Mix ingredients in bowl, initially by hand, then with electric mixer.
    2.  Fill small glass jars and use within 2 months. 
    3.  Final product can be stored at room temperature during use, as it has great self life!  Store remaining unused shea butter in the refrigerator, or you could also store leftover lotion in the fridge if you won't be using it right away (it will keep for months in the fridge).  This stuff is resilient and you're good either way, no matter where you keep it. 

I don't whip my lotions. So, they are more like a balm then lotion. My 4yo loves it because it's "melty" and fun to put on her, for her eczema. *Note* You can use different oils and EOs. They don't have to be exactly the same as the recipes.
  • SpiritedDragon
    October 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I make hand lotion myself....  and starting out you will make mistakes.  I just finally treaked mine to the way we like it at home. 

• eds6619
    by eds6619
    October 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    THANKS! Where do I find organic raw shea butter???????????????????
  • skeletor1017
    October 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

There's a reputable online store called Mountain Rose Herbs. You can also find it on ebay or Amazon or some other smaller online stores. I bought mine on ebay.de and it's the real deal. Just make sure it is organic and unrefined so that it retains its natural healing properties.

Quoting eds6619:

THANKS! Where do I find organic raw shea butter???????????????????

Green Living

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN