Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Has a boss ever said this to you?
by Anonymous
March 16 at 9:48 PM
I had my yearly review today.

He sat me down and started going over things and he said to me “I want you to know - there were categories on here that I personally think you were, and could have marked “outstanding”, but I just don’t do that. I don’t give out “outstanding” remarks.”
At the end he asked if I had any questions, comments or concerns and I asked about that comment. I said I don’t understand why, if you think I have an “outstanding” performance, why you wouldn’t mark it as such”.
His only response was - as managers, we just don’t do that.

Wtf. I’ve been there 8 years and I’ve never gotten a merit raise. My company is based out of a different state and the other state is where my HR is. They don’t have a clue what I do. My pay is based off of his reviews.

I talked to DH about it and he said there are some managers like that. Have it in their head that there’s always room for improvement so they won’t ever tell you you’re the best, no matter how hard you work.

Such bullshit.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 16 at 9:50 PM
    No. But I think it's pretty standard.
  • Rinascitalady
    March 16 at 9:53 PM
    Yes, it's pretty common.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    March 16 at 9:54 PM
    It’s possible that his hands are tied and he’s being told to evaluate this way.

I’ve had to write people up because my boss insisted. I take the brunt of that and would never tell the employee but it sucks because it seems like it was my idea.
  • 1kidmomajm
    March 16 at 9:56 PM

They dont want to pay you more so they don't have the outstandings on paper. They are either afraid you will ask for more or do the opposite and slack off maybe. It doesn't seem like there is any growth there. Depends what you want, is everything fine with you or do you want more, something better.

• Pink.Sunshine
    That’s a problem. I got a significant raise my first year. You should be getting way more especially if you’re doing a good job
  • bleumonster
    Actually my boss gives me outstanding on the stuff I’m outstanding on. She gives the best and most honest reviews of any boss I’ve had. I dread when she retires.
  • WickedOpal
    A ton of corporations do this to prevent people getting raises every year. It's fairly common now and since a lot of people put up with it, it continues.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    March 16 at 9:59 PM
    Yes, I’ve had more than one who wouldn’t mark “outstanding” because there’s always room for improvement. 🙄
  • Valentina327
    March 16 at 10:00 PM
    Yes I have heard that before. Incredibly frustrating and makes you not want to give a damn.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    March 16 at 10:01 PM
    Pretty much!

Quoting Valentina327: Yes I have heard that before. Incredibly frustrating and makes you not want to give a damn.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts