Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Bad gift idea?
by Anonymous
December 12, 2017 at 8:25 PM
My dad doesn't have much money right now. Last month he was talking about getting himself a toaster oven after the holidays,
I already had for him and gave it to him early because I was afraid he might go out and get one lol.
Anyway, he really doesn't want a gift but I can't not get him something. I know it sounds silly but I have gotten him a laundry basket and put some nice towels in it and several of his favorite snacks. I got him some toilet paper and trash bags as well as soap and laundry detergent, hopefully it will take the burden off his grocery bill a little. I'm also going to get him a small gift card to his favorite grocery store.
I guess what I'm asking is, is it too tacky or insulting?

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    December 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
  • Fat.Bottom.Girl
    December 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    I think it is fine. Meeting someone's needs goes far beyond giving gifts to impress.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM
    I can't really afford too much myself, so the other items are more filler than anything. I just don't want him to be insulted or feel bad. I don't know I might go in another direction.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
  • lowencope
    December 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    You’re so sweet
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    December 12, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    That's a great gift. A few years ago, when I was really struggling, someone got me a bunch of stuff like that, and I really, really appreciated it.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    December 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM
    Gotcha. I don't know if he'd be insulted or not. I think he may think it's sweet of you. If I was going thru a hard time I would appreciate that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I can't really afford too much myself, so the other items are more filler than anything. I just don't want him to be insulted or feel bad. I don't know I might go in another direction.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If it was me I would make him a basket of necessities and give it to him before Christmas as a thinking of you, we know your going through a hard time gift. Then I'd get him a good amount on a gift card for the grocery store/Walmart gift card for Christmas.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    December 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    I would like it, but I’m a practical person. I think it means more if you notice what someone needs instead of gifting something you like or a prepackaged gift set. Your dad knows you love him and I don’t think he will be insulted at all.
  • Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    December 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    It's nice. The snacks are strange with the rest of it. Butt it's nice.
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    December 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    I have to agree with fat.bottom.girl.

Quoting Fat.Bottom.Girl: I think it is fine. Meeting someone's needs goes far beyond giving gifts to impress.
  • onethentwins
    December 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM

A nice thought but some of it is a little tacky as a gift. Instead why not give him the towels, the gift card and the snacks as gifts and say "while I was at the store I picked up a few necessities for you" and just hand those to him when you arrive. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts