Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Quiet hour at the grocery store for autistic people...
by Anonymous
November 21 at 2:39 PM

Coles (the local grocery store) has started doing a quiet hour where they dim the lights and stop playing music and turn volumes down on everything else. It is supposed to help those with autism and tries to prevent sensory overload. 

Some people really like it and others dont. I think it is a great thing. A mom with an autistic child could benefit or even an adult with autism who has difficulty shopping. 

Would you be for or against a quiet hour at your grocery store? 

Replies

• Teeshann
    November 21 at 2:41 PM
    Wouldn't bother me.
  • Danesmommy1
    November 21 at 2:42 PM
    I wouldn't be against it, but I think it's a little ridiculous.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    I mean I understand it.

But come on, we need to stop catering to these kids and having parents coming up with coping skills for them.
  • Southern_Song
    Jo
    As long as everyone is welcomed. However it can make it hard for the elderly with bad sight.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    November 21 at 2:43 PM
    I think people need to learn how to function in the real world. Not be fragile snowflakes that have everything changed for them.
  • canna_perks

Quoting Teeshann: Wouldn't bother me.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster

It isnt just for kids. There are many adults with autism too. Also some people without autism might like the change also. 

It is one hour a week nothing crazy 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I mean I understand it. But come on, we need to stop catering to these kids and having parents coming up with coping skills for them.

• Sans-Equanimity
    November 21 at 2:44 PM
    I think it's awesome
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster

For some this might help them do that. 

An hour a week is hardly a big deal 

Also... some people with autism are low functioning and will never be able to function in the real world. This could allow their caretakers to shop with them 

Quoting Anonymous 4: I think people need to learn how to function in the real world. Not be fragile snowflakes that have everything changed for them.

• LeftieX
    by LeftieX
    That sounds great

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts