Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
He was fired for being 2 minutes late once...
by Anonymous
October 19 at 1:08 PM

DS just got fired from his first job for being 2 minutes late one time. 

He started at a local retail store about 2 weeks ago. He was still in his probationary period. The companies policy is that during your probationary time you can not miss or be late once, for any reason. 

He came home all upset. I asked him what happened and I guess it was because there was a bad crash near his work and he ended up having to park far away and run (the parking lot was blocked off by the accident) 

He didnt make it in time. I feel for him because he really liked this job. He was saying it was so unfair and i told him I agreed with him but not all bosses are fair and not all policies at work are fair. It sucks but he is better off finding another job where they will appreciate him more. 

I understand they have polices to follow but 2 minutes late for a reason like that is just so crazy. Oh well, they are the ones missing out 

ETA: he was there about 15 minutes early trying to get into work. He wasnt running late or anything. He had to park way down the road and run 

Replies

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    October 19 at 1:11 PM
    This will teach him to leave extra time for unforseen situations like that. It sucks but if he learns from it then it's a good experience.
  • quinnsmom715
    October 19 at 1:11 PM

in this situation,i think they were wrong..the parking lot was blocked?how was he supposed to get through?fly?and what customers would they have?

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 19 at 1:14 PM

They said he should have just been earlier. That most others made it to their shift on time and he should have also. They fired 2 other people over it who were in the same position though 

There were still a lot of customers in the store 

Quoting quinnsmom715:

in this situation,i think they were wrong..the parking lot was blocked?how was he supposed to get through?fly?and what customers would they have?

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    No fault attendance policies are pretty strict.
    And if you are on probation, you really have no say in what is right or wrong, either. Conduct during the probabtion time, pretty much dictates general performance.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3

I don't see it as unfair
    he was told in advance what the policies were....he should have been leaving with plenty of time for things like this. Traffic and accidents happen...

Its a good lesson....mention to him that maybe next time if something like this happens call into work BEFORE he's late and let them know whats going on...they might have been more willing to work with him

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    October 19 at 1:15 PM
    You said that was his first job?
  • Anonymous 1

He was there about 15 minutes early 

Quoting bmw29: This will teach him to leave extra time for unforseen situations like that. It sucks but if he learns from it then it's a good experience.

• Anonymous 1

He was there about 15 minutes early. They say not to even bother calling in if you are late or not coming in, you will be fired either way 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

I don't see it as unfairhe was told in advance what the policies were....he should have been leaving with plenty of time for things like this. Traffic and accidents happen...Its a good lesson....mention to him that maybe next time if something like this happens call into work BEFORE he's late and let them know whats going on...they might have been more willing to work with him

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    If you aren't 15minutes early you are late
  • Anonymous 1
    October 19 at 1:16 PM

He was there (about to pull into the parking lot) about 15 minutes early. That is my motto also 

Quoting Anonymous 5: If you aren't 15minutes early you are late

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts