Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Step-Son Diagnosed with Manic Depression
by Anonymous
October 17 at 8:30 PM

After years (5 to be specific) my step-son has been diagnosed with manic depression. It is a comfot to know that there is an issue and even better to know eventually there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Does anyone have kids or have you been diagnosed with manic depression? Do you have any advice? How do you explain it to your other kids? Of course the doctors are giving us advice, but it also helps to hear from people who have first hand expierence.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 17 at 8:31 PM
    Bipolar?
  • Danesmommy1
    October 17 at 8:33 PM
    Manic depression? It's not really called that anymore.

I'm BP 1 with psychotic features though. I was diagnosed in my early 20s, but had been having problems since my early teens.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 17 at 8:34 PM

The psychiatrist we have him going to keeps addressing it as "Manic Depression" but everything I've read in the books she's given us and everything online says Manic Depression/Bopolar.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Bipolar?

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 17 at 8:37 PM

Once you were able to get the medication that fit you, when did you start...leveling out?

We have a long way to go because we know there is a root to why he is so angry at everyone. The biggest issue we have is he lacks empathy, and he is so vocal about it. And it's not the teenage "i don't care". It's to the point where cops have been called to his mom's,

Quoting Danesmommy1: Manic depression? It's not really called that anymore. I'm BP 1 with psychotic features though. I was diagnosed in my early 20s, but had been having problems since my early teens.

• hip2it
    by hip2it
    October 17 at 8:38 PM
    I’m bipolar 2 with psychotic features. I started showing symptoms at 12 but wasn’t diagnosed until 28. I’m 32 now and finally on a cocktail of meds that are currently working.
  • Danesmommy1
    October 17 at 8:40 PM
    Most meds take a good 6 weeks to show effect and it takes a lot of tweaking to get it right. Some meds work in some doses for some people, so it really can seem like a crap shoot.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Once you were able to get the medication that fit you, when did you start...leveling out?

We have a long way to go because we know there is a root to why he is so angry at everyone. The biggest issue we have is he lacks empathy, and he is so vocal about it. And it's not the teenage "i don't care". It's to the point where cops have been called to his mom's,

Quoting Danesmommy1: Manic depression? It's not really called that anymore.

I'm BP 1 with psychotic features though. I was diagnosed in my early 20s, but had been having problems since my early teens.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    October 17 at 8:45 PM
    Id suggest you borrow "the bipolarchild" by the Dr's Popolus.
    I have a few friends whos children are bipoar and theve been to this Dr & Dr couple in Westport CT & NYC and their kids are doing well.
    Worth a read.
    Best of luck to your family.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    October 17 at 8:46 PM
    Id also recommend Genesight testing.
    Cheek swab 48 hrs later you have list of meds that will be a good fit.
    So you dont spend 6 weeks on crap that doesnt work!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts