Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
emotional support dogs--serious question
by Anonymous
October 11 at 9:59 AM

My 7y/o DS has rather sever autism, ODD, ADHD, and possibly other intellectual and emotional disorders. He is in a self contained classroom, sees a therapist every week, has in home services for autism, and receives disability payments. My mother told me he is very calm when she babysits him and that being around her dogs helps calm him, and suggested getting him a support dog. However, dogs are not permitted where I live. I have heard the support dogs are legally protected in housing, and was wondering if anyone had any links or useful information I could provide to my landlord. And what can I do if my landlord refuses to allow us to have the dog after it's been "prescribed"

In no way shape or form do I intend to take the dog in public and try to pass it off as a service dog, or anything like that--we will be happy just to have one at home. Also I recently got my credit up to 725 and am hoping to be able to have enough money saved to buy a house by the time my lease renews again next October, but I really think my son could benefit from a support dog before then. I also pay a rather high renters insurance policy that my landlord forced me to purchase in exchange for being allowed to have 1 cat, so at the end of the day I'll be the one liable if anything happens with said dog--not the landlord, since I know everyone will bring that point up about a liability to the LL.

Replies

• poietes
    by poietes
    October 11 at 10:08 AM
    My friend got a service dog for her mildly autistic son. She went through the whole process of getting a trained service dog and spent a week getting her son acclimated to the dog and learning commands. It is 100% a legally trained service dog. I would highly suggest going that route if you can afford it.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 11 at 10:09 AM
    I believe that only service dogs are protected, not support dogs. Bump for someone who knows.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    October 11 at 10:11 AM
    I have a dog in training. I'm legally protected.

Get the dog. Just make sure you actually do the paperwork.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    October 11 at 10:11 AM
    Support animals are 100% protected. There will be morons on here who insist otherwise. I have one. All you need is a note from his doctor
    https://www.animallaw.info/article/faqs-emotional-support-animals

I will say that I've dealt with asshole land lords who don't know they're legally required to accept support animals. I usually pass those places over because it's not worth dealing with the LL if he's going to be a jerk about it.
  • Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    October 11 at 10:31 AM
    In order for housing to accept a dog it must be a service dog. You can look into one or train your self. Doesn't mean it has to go out in public.
  • Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    October 11 at 10:33 AM
    See where you are coming from but they can still say no.

I have been through this before

Quoting Anonymous 4: Support animals are 100% protected. There will be morons on here who insist otherwise. I have one. All you need is a note from his doctor
    https://www.animallaw.info/article/faqs-emotional-support-animals

I will say that I've dealt with asshole land lords who don't know they're legally required to accept support animals. I usually pass those places over because it's not worth dealing with the LL if he's going to be a jerk about it.
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    October 11 at 10:36 AM
    If animals aren't generally allowed there and you press the legal issue to get one anyway, just be prepared to move at the end of whatever lease you're in, even if it's at the very beginning of one.
  • Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    October 11 at 10:40 AM

Get a note from the doctor letting them know that he needs one.

• Anonymous 8
    by Anonymous 8
    October 11 at 7:32 PM
    Try for a service dog.
  • Anonymous 9
    by Anonymous 9
    October 11 at 7:32 PM
    Service dogs are not considered a normal pet. Where I live you can not be charged a fee for a dog or denied a place to stay or evicted if you have one. You don’t need to show documentation of any kind, the only question they can ask is what does the dog do for you that is it. You can get a note from your physician saying that they recommend a service dog and that is good enough.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts