Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Why don't we raise cigarette taxes to a ridiculous amount like $20 a box?
by Anonymous
August 21 at 8:03 AM

Someone asked this question on my FB feed.  

What do you think?

Will making them cost more force those who can't afford them turn to crime to pay?  As they often do with illegal drugs?

Replies

• Danesmommy1
    August 21 at 8:04 AM
    They're already taxed.
  • Sailor.Moon.Mom
    August 21 at 8:05 AM
    A box? You mean a pack or a carton?
    Anyways. A pack here costs almost $17. Df quit 3 months ago and he paid $16 something a pack.

I'm in Canada. They raised prices a while ago.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    August 21 at 8:05 AM
    I'm fine with taxes going up. It does make people quit.
  • WemblyFraggle
    August 21 at 8:06 AM
    I have no idea how much they are in the states, but they tax the shit out of them in Canada. Same with beer. It's like $40-$50 a case
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    August 21 at 8:07 AM
    How will big pharma get their money if people start quitting (which people would if it was that expensive)
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4

I think they are an idiot.  The amount of taxes collected from cigarettes funds many of the entitlement programs as it is.  A few dollars per pack are collected as it is.  If you make it to the point everyone quits, you put the manufactures out of business, as well as many of the health care workers and it will also result in the raising of property taxes as well as other taxes to make up the loss of income.  

• Kiwismommy19
    They're already highly taxed.
  • susannah2000
    August 21 at 8:08 AM

Only if booze is taxed equally. Sick of the demonization of smokers, when alcohol overuse and misuse has destroyed millions of lives.

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    August 21 at 8:08 AM
    I could care less. Right now they are $13.75 here in NY where I live. But I am able to get them for $8 from a guy who gets them from VA.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    August 21 at 8:09 AM

Does it make people quit? Or does it just make them spend their money?  Illegal drugs can be expensive so many turn to crime to pay for them.

It's all an addiction.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'm fine with taxes going up. It does make people quit.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts