Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Autistic children and their future
by Anonymous
March 28 at 4:23 PM

Are you concerned with the next generation of autistic adults?  I think it's fair to wonder since there are more children diagnosed with autism everyday.  The numbers are alarming.  1 in 68.  (Edit) 

Discuss with empathy and class, please.

Replies

• jjames1990
    March 28 at 4:24 PM
    1 in 68
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    March 28 at 4:26 PM

Thanks!

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    March 28 at 4:28 PM

lots of people in care homes!! in the end its basically population control...

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    March 28 at 4:35 PM
    Idk. Honestly my husband is High functioning and works. He has a degree in computer science. Graduated highest GPA in his course of study. Most people think he's just weird.
    My son isn't as high functioning but not really low functioning. Everyday we work on his skills. He is not in school yet.
  • quickbooksworm
    March 28 at 4:44 PM

I think it's a fair question.  The thing that concerns me is how some of these people are going to work.  There are so many behaviors that are "excused" as part of a disability, but they also make someone not employable if they can't adapt to a work environment.  I'd be more likely to accommodate someone with a physical disability as an employer.

• Anonymous 1
    March 28 at 8:20 PM

That is an excellent point.  Persons with physical handicaps have only recently gained full employability thanks to the changing attitudes over the past couple of decades; and the federal government pushing into law handicap accessibility regulations and tougher anti-discrimination laws as well.

With regard to Autism,  it's uncharterec territory in many ways.  These autistic children are growing up and the challenges they face are growing with them.  It is not 'curable'; nor has it proven to be a sustainable condition that they will be able to manage adulthood.  How will they enter the workforce?  Will they have the level of education to be productive in a job, and most worrisome, the social and verbal disconnection many autistic children suffer with is not acceptable in a work environment.  

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I think it's a fair question.  The thing that concerns me is how some of these people are going to work.  There are so many behaviors that are "excused" as part of a disability, but they also make someone not employable if they can't adapt to a work environment.  I'd be more likely to accommodate someone with a physical disability as an employer.

• Anonymous 1
    March 28 at 8:23 PM

Do you feel that the fact that your son has autism proves a genetic link to the disability?  And how do you cope with your DH challenges -- if they exist within your marriage, of course.  You didnt find him 'weird'.  Lo.

Quoting Anonymous: Idk. Honestly my husband is High functioning and works. He has a degree in computer science. Graduated highest GPA in his course of study. Most people think he's just weird. My son isn't as high functioning but not really low functioning. Everyday we work on his skills. He is not in school yet.

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    March 28 at 8:23 PM

My concern who's going to take care of them when the parents are too old to take care of them.  And who's going to care of of the old parents.  Just a sad situation for all.

• acrogodess
    March 28 at 8:26 PM

I am not concerned for my son because he is high functioning. The only concern is for lower functioning individuals and they generally live in group homes and receive SSI when they are older. 

• Anonymous 1
    March 28 at 8:27 PM

Whom will be controlling the population?  The government..  Are you of the opinion that Autism is a man-made disorder for the sole purpose of population control?  I am trying to understand how you've reasoned out your response.

Quoting Anonymous:

lots of people in care homes!! in the end its basically population control...

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN